“Won't stay again”

Holiday Inn Express Alcoa (Knoxville Airport)
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Alcoa
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Starting at the check-in, I could tell that this was not going to be a good stay. Upon arriving at the desk and giving the clerk my last name, she then went through the reservation file-box, and said to me, "Would you like to leave your room on the card ending in 5555?" I responded, "I don't have a card ending in that number." She said, "You are Mr. Smith, correct?" At that point I said, "No, I said I am Mr. S****." She apologized and went back into the reservation file-box and pulled out the EXACT same one she had just replaced. She then said, "I am sorry about that Mr. Smith, but it has been a rough afternoon." I said again, "I am NOT Mr. Smith. I am Mr. S****. Please look for that reservation." Finally, it was settled and we were able to check into our room.

At the back entrance to the hotel, there are two doors, with the inside door requiring you to swipe your keycard to gain access. As I started to swipe the card, I noticed that the door was not latched, would not latch no matter how much I tried, and thus was not a secure entrance to the outside and the rear of the hotel. Upon entering into the lobby, I mentioned this to the clerk, who assured me that it would be looked at. This was not corrected by the time we checked out the next morning.

Upon finally arriving in the room and using the bathroom, I noticed a piece of a ceiling tile missing, and in it's place was stuffed a piece of Kleenex or toilet tissue. See the photo provided. While washing my hands at the sink, I noticed a red residue at the seam of the backsplash and countertop, which I wiped up with a washcloth and could not tell what it was. See the photo provided. My wife and I discussed checking out of the hotel, and finding another location, but as we had been traveling all day, and were tired from our trip, we decided to stay.

One of the main things that we look for in hotels that we stay in are clean and safe/secure facilities. This time this location failed in both areas.

We travel several times a year, and usually stay in the Holiday Inn chain of hotels, but we have had several instances such as this with other properties in different regions of the country. I am not sure what the issue is with the management structure from the top down at corporate level to the individual franchisees, but my wife and I both agree that we are done with the chain.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Brian B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Alcoa (Knoxville Airport), responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

I would like to apologize for your most recent stay. It is certainly not the standard we intend to keep at this property. I have addressed all issues with my current staff, including cleanliness, efficiency of check in, and maintenance issues. We do normally only keep our doors locked between the hours of 11pm and 6am for our guests safety. Regardless, I want all of our guests to feel safe and secure. I will be looking into this policy as well. I appreciate the feedback as it will help us greatly improve the quality of product and services to our guests. If there is anything I can do for you in the future, please feel free to call the hotel directly. I would certainly like to make things right by you.

My Sincerest Apologies,

Brian Barsce

Reviewed 18 June 2013

Stayed here on a Saturday night. Was a wonderful stay!!! We have 2 kids and the pool was just warm enough. Would of liked the hot tub to be re-oped :( Loved that they used real towels at the pool not little hand towels. The front desk clerk Alex was very friendly and helpful. We asked about a restaurant that was close by and he described it. We were just about ready to pull away to eat and he ran out a coupon for $5 for the restaurant. We were so appreciative since most front desk clerks don't ever go out of there way anymore it seems. The women at breakfast was fantastic too!!! The rooms were really neat and modern, clean, and loved the bath and body works shampoo and conditioner!!! Not much in walking distance except a few dine-in restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Brian B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Alcoa (Knoxville Airport), responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

We really appreciate your kind words. We try to provide the same excellent experience to all of our guests. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed on this Hotel for two nights. We got a King Suite with jacuzzi tub. Loved the modern decor and separate sitting area with tv. Tv also in the bedroom. Tub is very loud when filling up. You can't hear the TV when the tub in the room is filling up or when the one in the room next door is filling up. The jets are only at the side not near the back or feet. Otherwise it is a great soaking tub. Bed is comfortable. Pillows are lumpy. Don't really like them. The breakfast was very good. Eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, fruit, cinnamon rolls and a pancake machine. Never saw one before but the pancakes were good. The staff was very nice. I would recommend this hotel and will stay here again. Our worse experience was being awaken by a lot of motorcycles at 6 am because this is a popular bike hotel. Everything else was good.

• Stayed: May 2013
Brian B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Alcoa (Knoxville Airport), responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2013

We appreciate your business and wish to have you back in the future. We are going to be purchasing new pillows in the next 3 months. I will also address the tub noise with my maintenance department to see if we damper the water noise. Once again, thank you for for your continued loyalty to Intercontinental Hotels and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

I asked the front desk clerk to check my Priority Club account to make sure I was accruing my points. It seemed to be an inconvenience. She never really acknowledged me and when I said thank you, all I got was an "Uh Huh". I travel a lot and have experienced rude hotel staff and I just added this person to my list. Other than that the hotel is just... OK.

• Stayed: May 2013
Brian B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Alcoa (Knoxville Airport), responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

We certainly apologize that we did not meet your expectation for service at our hotel. We certainly try to meet and exceed all of our guests requests in a friendly and courteous manner. I have addressed your issue with our staff and will certainly use it in our future trainings under "what not to do". I can certainly reassure you that this will not happen again going forward. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to having you back in the near future.

Reviewed 6 May 2013

Excellent service and the staff was so nice and professional. There was an error on the bill and I had no problem geting it corrected. My credit card was charged at the end of my stay but I paid cash up front. When I noticed the charge, I immediately called the hotel. Without delay, someone was there to help me. The staff member that checked me in was on the phone to help correct the error. He remembered me, aplogized for the error and assured me the the matter would be handled ASAP. He did say it would take 3 business day for the correction. Sure enough, three business days passed and the problem was corrected. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who plans to go to Alcoa/Knoxville area.

Room Tip: Go online and review
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Holiday Inn Express ALCOA (KNOXVILLE AIRPORT)
I stay here on business every time I am in the area. The hotel itself it situated off the beaten path, so, no traffic, very low noise but very nice restaurant VERY close to your door. Puleo's Grille, try it you will not be disappointed.
Hotel staff goes out of the way to be nice to you, although they are understaffed at times.
Breakfast buffet is always plentiful, hot and clean.
For those guest that are into fitness, there is a super nice jogging/bike trail, Greenleaf or something like that, just across the street the goes for MILES…. Well lighted, and paved…so no excuse not to exercise

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side are super quite but either is good as no traffic at all after 5 PM and the ro...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jim F
Brian B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Alcoa (Knoxville Airport), responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2013

We really appreciate your compliments. We try to provide every guest with an excellent guest service experience. We look forward to having you back!!

Reviewed 16 April 2013

Booked three nights on way to N.C. and then booked another for return trip we liked it so well. Free breakfast. Cook Tiffany kept things clean and lively. Front desk staff was helpful. Facility and pool was clean. Airport noise not heard once your in the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back lower floor if you want a private entrance, giving you two exits, common...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family