“Clean and Roomy”

Candlewood Suites Knoxville Airport-Alcoa
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Alcoa
Reviewed 10 December 2012

The standard single was much roomier than I"m used to. Bathroom especially, you can take a shower with door open and it doesn't hit you in the back when you step out of it. Also very clean and quiet. The pillows were awesome and could get a good work out on the weight machine in the work-out center.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Natalie B

Reviewed 6 December 2012

I recently stayed there for a week. Imagine my surprise when I went and checked out that my rate was changed and I was paying more that what I had reserved the for and was told at check in. The room was ok, not up to IHG standards nd not the cleanest. Some of the staff tried to help but we actually saw the manager yelling and arguing with him. Not real professionsal.
Stay away until they get their act together.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Lynn100
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I was there on a quick 2 day business stop right before Thanksgiving. Was pleasantly surprised with this Hotel. Rooms were clean, bed was very comfortable, internet was great.
Overall was a good, comfortable stay and will surely stay there again. The staff were attentive and friendly.

Room Tip: I was in King bed room - room 205
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Stayed here 6 nights while awaiting my long-term lease availability. I'm surprised this place is still an ICH group property. It won't be for long. They just don't meet the Intercontinental standards.

Yes, they have updated fixtures, appliances and solid surface counter tops. But it stops there.

My first room was not clean. I couldn't hang my shower towel on the hook provided because the wall beneath was filthy. The once nice ceramic tile floor in the bathroom was growing mold. It's sad really, that they took such a nice property and let it go down hill so fast. They cater to blue collar workers, which is fine by me. But the workers are dirty after a hard day's work, and the staff here just don't wipe down the walls, utensils, etc., after each check out.

There was no water pressure, and it was luke warm at best.

I changed rooms mid-stay in hopes of something better. The second room had a king instead of a queen, but something had soured so badly in there that it was almost not inhabitable. The bathroom wall under the towel hook was just as filthy black as the previous room. They still have "bedspreads". In the second room I moved to, the bedspread was covered in cigarette burn holes! I called to have housekeeping replace it and it took hours. When they did, it was the pattern of the "other" side of the spread. Not sure if they just came in and flipped the spread over or what, but I threw it in the floor where it stayed.

As a platinum priority club member, I always receive so many more amenities at their properties. Not this one. They charged me $1.00 for a toothbrush! Everything there is very cheap. Even the toiletries, what few were provided. Bring your own shampoo and conditioner, as theirs is a single bottle of "shampoo and conditioner in one".

I think this place was bought out and the new owners have cheaped out.

The front staff spend all their time outside smoking. Literally. But at least they're friendly. When the "owner staff" come in to occasionally relieve the local staff at times, the "owner staff" were rude and not accommodating.

I would guess this hotel will soon be some name like Extend-O Suites or the like, because they do not deserve the Candlewood name. They simply don't hold up to the standards necessary.

It's a shame, really. The property is fairly new and was quite nice when developed. Now, the property is being ignored and everything good about it is being ruined by cheapskate owners who could care less about service and cleanliness.

It was a complete waste of my Priority Club reward points. The last night without points cost $90 with tax. What a joke.

I pricelined and got a Best Western for my last three nights for less than half the price. I've never been a big Best Western fan, but boy was I relieved at check-in there. It was like Park Place vs. Baltic Ave. I may have to switch to Choice Hotel rewards from my long-time priority club status after this stay!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank BusyMe
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Our room had Bed bugs. I was offered and another room by the clerk. I asked to speak to the Manager. He contacted me immediately. We were offered another room which we took. No Bed bugs. I appreciated the Manager coming to see me personally and apologizing, however there was no follow-up after that to see how things were going. The door between 2 rooms had liquid splattered on it as did the bathroom walls. The part that bothers me, is when I travel I accumulate Priority Club points at various types of hotels in the program. But when an issue comes up like this I am told I cannot move to another hotel with my points. The other issue is the Manager tried to tell me this was the first time they had an issue, then I informed him about the other report of bed bugs on trip advisor. I did not appreciate being lied to. As a former platinum priority club member I would have expected better service when I start to use my points. I recently accepted a new job and will be traveling extensively again. I will now be reviewing which hotel chain offers good service with reward programs.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room first. Inspect the bed and under the mattress
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Darrell C
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Two words: bed bugs. We found bed bugs in our bed. One of them was on us and appeared " well fed" when killed. I will say though that staff and management were very helpful in relocating us to a different hotel (at 2am). It was a home game weekend in Knoxville and rooms were very hard to come by. I received a call from the manager the next day and he assured me the issue would betaken care of immediately. Priority Club was not helpful at all when trying to find a different hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Margaret Y
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I've stayed in a lot of hotels and this has to be one of the most comfortable beds I've experienced. The hotel looks relatively new. As an extended stay hotel it had a nice kitchenette. There were 2 things keeping me from giving it 5 stars. The first is that the family above me had kids that jumped off the beds and ran around for hours at bedtime. 2 calls from the desk didn't do much, but they settled down by 11 so didn't interfere with sleep. The second is that it would have been nice to offer a small continental breakfast. The coffee and for sale items were in a locked room and it didn't feel welcoming. Overall a nice place to stay. Close to tons of restaurants.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends