“Great Value”

Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Abilene
San Marcos, Texas
“Great Value”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed one night and we're quite pleased with our stay. The room was large and comfortable. The front desk people were attentive and helpful. Walked to a chain restaurant for dinner. Breakfast was a standard fare but decent.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
WingatebyWyndham1, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Abilene, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your wonderful review on TripAdvisor. We would love the pleasure of your company in your future visits to Abilene and the West Texas area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Huntingdon
Reviewed 4 January 2014

What a beautiful place to stay! The front desk lady in the evening at check in was cordial, but Marty and Jennifer were like visiting with friends! Marty checked us out and even gave us further travel advise. He and Jennifer were great to help in any way and accomodated our every need! The room was the nicest we stayed in during our 11 day travels. The room was clean and felt as if you were staying in a beautiful home! We had booked on hotwire with not knowing for sure what to expect, but were so very pleased! The breakfast was great and even had doughnuts! We would definitely stay here again if in this area!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
It was a pleasure having your family stay with us at the Wingate By Wyndham in Abilene. Jennifer and I are pleased to hear that you felt like you were visiting friends when you stayed with us at the hotel. In this busy fast pace world we love to meet new people and slow the world down. Each guest to us is someone that we would like to make as a friend and make them feel as comfortable as visiting a friend.
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 3 January 2014

The front desk attendant when we arrived was surly at best. The gentleman at the front when we departed was friendly and warm. We weren't greeted when we came and went and were there for multiple days. Replace the unfriendly women at the front desk to make a better stay for your guests. Otherwise, the accommodations were good and we were happy with our stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

WingatebyWyndham1, Owner at Wingate by Wyndham Abilene, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Thank you for you kind words.
Andrews, TX
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

My experience was not bad at all, but based on the previous reviews, I was disappointed, so my review is going to explain why I wasn't impressed.

Here are the things that were less than desirable:
- The lid to the ice bucket was filthy. It looked like it had mold on it. I left it face up and unavoidable (I thought) so the housekeeper would clean it. It was ignored.
- There weren't enough towels in the room, and similarly, there weren't enough towels by the hot tub (only 2 both places).
- I asked at the front desk for the room safe to be unlocked. I explained that I was leaving, but that it was fine for them to go in and unlock it so that I could use it that night. They called me several hours later to ask if they had my permission to enter the room to unlock the safe. I assured them they did. When I returned to the room, the safe was still locked.
- The cordless phone was beeping and displaying a message that the battery was bad. I just unplugged it and reported it before I left.
- The door to the room was very hard to open and close. I had to throw my shoulder into it. Kind of ridiculous.
- Lastly, on the second night, there was an unpleasant smell in the bathroom.

It was a comfortable and spacious room, though, with nice furniture. Good location. The breakfast was good, and at the times I went, there was adequate seating.

I got this room through a blind booking on Hotwire for $75, so it was satisfactory. Otherwise, having stayed several times each at the Hampton, Fairfield, and Hilton Garden Inns in this immediate area, I would always choose the Hampton for most consistently good stays.

• Stayed December 2013
WingatebyWyndham1, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Abilene, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
I want to apologize to you for your unpleasant experience. Your comments helped us develop a more complete system in managing the housekeeping and maintenance service. I assure you that if you would be kind enough to give us one more chance you will see the difference a couple of words made to our hotel.
San Angelo
Reviewed 14 December 2013

My wife and I arrived in Abilene late (around Midnight), after a fairly long trip from Texarkana. We had difficulty locating the hotel, so I called the hotel to ask for directions. I admit that I was feeling tired and irritable, but the hotel employee wasn't helpful with the directions. Once we arrived at the hotel and came to the front desk, we waited a bit, and then she appeared. She brushed the crumbs off of her shirt and apologized that she was just eating.
My wife and I didn't feel that she was very pleasant. In the hotel room, we noticed scuff marks on the walls. It appeared like the room had been treated roughly by former guests. The next morning, we noticed that the breakfast area had a limited amount of food available. It appeared that the staff tries to be a little stingy with the food items. The TV was playing loudly and I asked the hotel attendant from the breakfast area to turn down the volume. I admit that I didn't ask pleasantly, but the attendant was also sour in her reply. When she turned the volume down, another of the guests complained sharply that the volume is not loud enough for her to hear. When the attendant said that another guest asked for it to be turned down, she replied, "whatever." Admittedly, my mood could have been better, but the hotel staff could have treated us better as well. Especially for the nightly rate charged by this hotel chain. We will not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

I apologize for the way that you were treated while staying at our hotel. It has been a month of training and trimming the staff so that your experience would never be experienced again. Thank you for you honesty and I would like to assure you that if given a chance the Wingate By Wyndham would love to redeem ourselves to you and your family.