“Great place to call home for a week”

Residence Inn Abilene
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Abilene
Birmingham, Alabama
“Great place to call home for a week”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed here for a Sun-Fri visit at ACU and would definitely stay again. The room was nice-the the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was spotless, the A/C worked perfectly (my room was on the East side of the hotel) and the staff was very friendly.

I was out of the room very early each morning, so I did not utilize the complimentary breakfast. There also appeared to be a light supper and cocktail hour each evening that was complimentary. I had events most nights so I did not need this, but it would definitely be worth looking into, if you are interested. I made a quick trip to Wal-Mart, which was close by, for some basics on the first day. So, I had what I liked and needed in the room. The kitchen area in the room was convenient. So was the bathroom/vanity space. I was traveling alone, so it didn't make a difference to me, but it is always so nice when the tub/toilet area are separate from the sink/vanity area if you are traveling as a couple or family. Additionally, the closet was mirrored which gave an extra space for someone to get ready, if needed. There was also plenty of storage space for cosmetics/toiletries, clothing and suitcases.

One of my few complaints would be the pet odor upon arrival. I am a pet lover, but don't usually travel with my dogs. There was urine in the entry one day as I was leaving. I am sure this happens on occasion, I was just surprised to see it. It was the one and only time I experienced that. Thankfully, the rooms did not have any trace of pet odor and there wasn't a problem with animals making any noise (as I've experienced in some hotels).

I noticed another reviewer commented on room noise, in general. The hotel was completely full and I was very concerned as I drove up one night and saw a bunch of kids on the basketball court. I had a room in the middle of the corridor on the second floor and only noticed my neighbors a few times. I was awake and noticed when my neighbor next door left the room one morning, and I noticed footsteps above me two different nights after I was in bed. Considering how full the hotel was, I thought this was pretty remarkable.

The shower was another thing I thought was remarkable. The water pressure wasn't the very best, but I have had much worse and the water was always hot. There were always plenty of towels and wash cloths, which was nice.

You cannot beat the proximity to ACU. On several other occasions, I have stayed close to the mall at new hotels. This was so much more convenient and cost effective, I will definitely stay here in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Alecia L, General Manager at Residence Inn Abilene, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for your very informative review of Residence Inn-Abilene. I appreciate your detailed description of our amenities. I do apologize for the pet odor you experienced upon arrival. I thank you for chosing Residence Inn by Marriott.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We had 43 rooms for a wedding party. From the GM Elisa,Summer the sales organizer , Johnny,David,Alice the front desk service agents, could not been more accommodating. A 1st class room and professional staff.. I never heard the word NO we can't do that. You will not be disappointed with this crew. Can't say enough kind words to describe the 3 days we were there.
Oh lets not forget Renee, breakfast was fantastic, if you stay M-Thru dinner is also included with beer and wine nice touch ALL was great.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms here!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much. I remember your group and it was a pleasure to work with you and your family! Congragulations again...
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed during the ACU Passport event and had a lovely stay. Staff friendly and helpful, all shifts. Breakfast could be extended to 10:30 so guests can sleep a little longer but it was a good quick bite. Suite was nice, clean and had a kitchen, eating and sitting area w desk. Flat screen. A/C was noisy so I could not sleep well first night. Kids said pool was boring so they stayed 5 mins, but liked having wifi available. The hotel is 5 mins away from ACU so it is very convenient. -- a strong suggestion would be to reconsider the excessive pet fee. I have stayed at similar and much nicer venues and I have been charged $25, so $100 at a time hotels are realizing the number of guests traveling w pets is a niche market. I do not mind if you require pets to be contained in a portable kennel when unattended, that is customary because pets actually prefer their kennel where they feel safer than a strange environment. -- I am looking fwd to my next stay here, hopefully with my poochie.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Alecia L, General Manager at Residence Inn Abilene, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you so much for the great review of the Residence Inn-Abilene. We appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you in the near future.
Texas
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We got to the hotel about an hour before check-in but they had a room ready and let us go ahead and check in. There were 3 adults in our party so we had a king suite with pull-out sofa bed. We unpacked and decided to get the pull-out ready & discovered it was old and broken down. We called the front desk and they immediately got us another room down the hall on the same floor. I will say that if you're expecting an adult to sleep on the pull-out bed bring some extra padding b/c the mattress is very thin and uncomfortable.
The suite itself was quite small, even before pulling out the sofa-bed. I think they could have made the kitchen smaller and allocated more space to the bedroom area, but maybe some people want a huge kitchen vs having room to walk around in the bedroom. There was a full sized fridge, sink, dishwasher, microwave and plenty of cabinet / countertop space. There were a few utensils / dishes / rags / paper towels supplied also.
There was a bar area for eating with 2 stools and a separate desktop area with chair for doing work. The living room area and another in the bedroom area both had flat screen TV's. Our suite had a door between the living and bedroom area.
The king bed had 5 delightfully soft down-filled pillows and the bed itself was sooooooo comfy! We asked for extra pillows / blankets / and towels and they were brought up to the room very quickly.
There is a separate small dressing area with mirrored closet doors and a sink in between the bed and the shower / toilet area. That made it nice for people getting dressed and ready while someone else was in the shower. The water pressure was just so-so but at least the water was hot. The towels are big and soft but not thick. The exhaust fan in the shower area wasn't very powerful but at least the shower was nice and clean.
The complimentary toiletries were basic, nothing fancy. The hairdryer worked and the iron and ironing board were functional.
We had a coffee maker but no coffee. I think that was a slip-up because the first room we were in had coffee packs in it.
The carpets and drapes were older and worn but the room was clean and smelled fresh. The A/C unit had trouble keeping the room cool. The air wasn't coming out of the vents very well so we had to set the thermostat to 68 and the room finally cooled off.
The walls are very very thin! We were in a corner room off by itself (thankfully) but we could hear the people above us stomping around all night long. I can't imagine being in a middle room how noisy it might have been. I would suggest asking for a corner room on the top floor.
The pool area was nice, not too crowded, and was clean.
The complimentary breakfast was good, standard hotel food, but the staff did their best to keep the trays full and the area clean. The hotel was full when we were there so it was very crowded in the small buffet area. They served juice, coffee, milk, cereal, pastry muffins, toast, bagels, cream cheese, jelly, texas-shaped waffles, pancakes, scrambled eggs, potatoes, and sausage.
Check-in and check-out were quick and easy and the staff was always nice no matter how busy they were.
There is a Wal-Mart about a block away if you forgot to pack anything and a Wendy's right across the street if you want fast-food.
It wasn't the fanciest place I've stayed in & I would ask for a room on the top floor in the corner, but it was certainly nice enough that I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the corner on the top floor away from the highway. If planning to use sofa-bed bri...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Alecia L, General Manager at Residence Inn Abilene, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
I apologize for the sofa bed not working properly. I'm glad we were able to get you moved into a different room. I hope that in the future we can accomodate you and your family. Maybe next time we can get you upgrade to a larger room. Again I'm sorry for your inconvience with the sofa bed but hope to see you in the future. Thank you for your honest feedback.
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed at the Residence Inn over Graduation Weekend 2014. The staff was incredibly friendly, helping answer all of our questions and making us feel like valued customers. My entire family was staying at the Residence, and the staff knew us all by names. I struck up a conversation with one of the staff members, who went out of his way to compliment some of my family members by name. They were a pleasure to work with and were incredibly patient with us.

The continental breakfast provided as part of the stay was one of the best I've ever seen. The offerings weren't anything unique, necessarily: waffle batter with a belgian waffle maker, fresh fruit and yogurt, cereal, sausage, eggs, biscuits and gravy, oatmeal, a variety of toast offerings... But instead of only two or three of those things being offered like some breakfasts, ALL were available. And all were of excellent quality, too. They definitely made it easy to start your day off right with a great breakfast!

The pool area was well-kept and provided great entertainment for the children in our family for swimming and a great gathering place for the adults. It was well-kept and easily accessible.

The hotel is located on I-20 on the "outskirts" of town. While that might be an issue in some places, you have easy access to the loop around Abilene and can get anywhere in the city in 15 minutes. It's not a detraction at all.

My only complaint would be that the fitted sheet on our bed would not stay tucked in at the head of our bed. It didn't impact the quality of my sleep, however, and I know that no one else in our party had the same problem, so it didn't detract from our stay at all.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Abilene.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Alecia L, General Manager at Residence Inn Abilene, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We appreciate you chosing Residence Inn by Marriott. We look forward to serving you in the future.
Azle, Texas
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This is a place you truly feel like home. David night clerk explained all amenities and benefits for Platinum Membership. The facility is clean, great food but most of all Great staff. I was recognized with a plaque posted at front desk on the day of my arrival. The staff is friendly, professional and accommodating with work deliveries and room preference.

Room Tip: Extended stay top floor is quieter. Dinner served Monday thru Thursday.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you so much for staying at Residence Inn-Abilene. I appreciate your great comments! We work very hard to make all our guest feel like they are home. We look forward to having you stay with us in the future.
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I had to set up camp here for a week during a work trip. Loved my room with a kitchen...enjoyed eating meals at an actual dining table and a full size fridge. Even cooked myself dinner one night! The hotel has a themed dinner each night (chili, baked potato, etc.). If you're not too picky, you could easily eat dinners there, as well as enjoy the hot & cold breakfast choices each morning. They also have free happy hour in the evenings. After long days of work, it was nice to relax on the front patio with a glass of wine and watch the highway traffic go by. It's not close to downtown (which didn't matter to me), but it is easily accessible to the highway. Great people working there, nice clean rooms...definitely recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Alecia L, General Manager at Residence Inn Abilene, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you so much for chosing Residence Inn by Marriott. I appreciate your great review of the hotel and staff. We work very hard to make you feel at home! I look forward to seeing you in the future.