“Who would have ever known!”

Sayles Ranch Guesthouses
Flower Mound, Texas, United States
“Who would have ever known!”
Reviewed 25 June 2012

First of all I hate to even share this hidden gem...I want it all to myself! I came to Abilene with my daughter for one night for a college visit, and I cannot express how cute and extremely quaint this place is. All the amenities you could ever need...way way better than hotel stay. I can't wait to stay in all of the other cute cottages.

Room Tip: Just look at pictures...they speak for themselves!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Keller, Texas, United States
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Antiques and turquoise throughout! Very cozy! If you cook your meals, there is a gas stove. If you want to walk 1/2 mile to The Nature Food Center on South Seventh, it's well worth it for weekend brunch. Nice neighborhood and nice little retreat spot. The only minus is that the maid service was a bit lacking (coffee grounds left in the pot, no coffee in this unit, but not anything that would mess up a stay).

Room Tip: Very close to HEB and The Nature Center Food. Smart TV, gas stove, quiet neighborhood with big tree...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank KaylaP385
Sandy Springs, Georgia
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I'm writing this on my last night at the Fallen Star guest house, one of the 3-bedroom cottages offered by Sayles Ranch. A couple of colleagues and I are finishing up a visit to a local university, and decided to stay at the cottage as an alternative the the suggested hotels. The guesthouse has been highlight of the trip. The pictures showed what looked like a cozy cottage with a tasteful western decor... but what we found was so much more. This is a spacious home... with all the amenities of home. A modern kitchen with washer and dryer, etc. The bedrooms are fantastic; my room had a wonderfully comfy bed with top-notch linens and salvaged wood walls, giving it just the look one would expect from a cottage in Texas. The bathrooms are modern and clean. The best surprise was the screened-in-porch in the back. My colleagues and I spent hours there planning and discussing ideas from our conference. If you're looking to stay in the Abilene area, you won't find better than this. So much character and so much fun-- all at a reasonable price!

Room Tip: Take a look at all the photos on the Sayles Ranch website, and pick a cottage that suits your taste...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank JulesinAtl
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2012

To be honest, I'm writing this review FROM the Vera Wang bed/mattress (amazing) in Cabin Fever at Sayles Ranch. And I may not leave it. I'm driving from Marfa to Fort Worth and needed a place to stop...San Angelo was a mistake but Abilene is a HIT. Sayles Ranch is what it says it is on the website - if you read it that is - instead of ogling the rather stunning pictures. And I tell you what, the pictures a) don't lie, they really are that amazing and b) don't do justice to the ACTUAL rooms/houses, they are more amazing than you can imagine.

Sayles Ranch is a collection of astonishing houses, cabins, bunkrooms, etc. I was exceptionally lucky enough to be given a tour of quite a few of them - my unexpected evening with the Browders has been a highlight of my solo trip from the UK. But believe me, if you enjoy interior design, quirky objects, attention to detail, colour and comfort - you will be happy in any one of the houses. If you prefer Hampton Inn ubiquity, then yeah, you might get a shock. My brain is still reeling from the sheer imagination and love that has gone into making these guest homes so wonderful. I've been staying in a collection of Liz Lambert hotels in Texas but the truth is, Terry's style is much more 'me' and he's jolly lucky I'm not going home having nicked some of the cool things I've spotted.

Some homes have pools, others have bunk-rooms or 'teen suites' equipped with Xboxes. They ALL have a bathroom crammed full of fluffy towels, kitchens equipped with crockery/cutlery, etc. washers, dryers, and it goes on. I'm gutted that I'm only here a night - if I could - I'd move in.

Sayles Ranch is not a ranch. Sayles Ranch is a gem, a joy, a beacon of hospitality in Abilene and I need to find an excuse to get back here. Yes, I have an Abilene crush.

Room Tip: Just look at the website - they're all so different.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank chloerfowler
Oregon
Reviewed 28 June 2010

Good location for access around the community. Nice space for a large family and having a pool made the heat and humidity easier to tolerate. The air conditioning worked well. Stayed in the large house with 4 bedrooms and the small cottage across the alley. It was comfortable for all. But, not having toilet paper, dish soap, and other supplies was frustrating. The small cottage was dark and cramped.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 June 2009

Alternative lodging. If you dont care for the chain hotel and you are stuck in Abilene for whatever reason- visiting the schools for your children, attending training, or here on business- I HIGHLY recommend this place for different yet so comfortable lodging.

Our place, the Hideout- was so cool. Cozy kitchen, courtyard, comfy bed- all the comforts of home yet so far away. The doves here are magnificent and I live in the county! For some reason the dove population loves this guesthouse and you see & hear them everywhere! It makes you feel like you are in nature when in all actualtiy you are in Abilene TX!

Such a refreshing change to the typical hotel.
The host, Terry is very professional and exceeds in attention to detail!
I highly recommend this place if you are unfortnate enough to be stuck in Abilene.

5 Thank txwv2016