“Dance Hall - Outstanding Decorative Details & Highly Recommended.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sayles Ranch Guesthouses

Sayles Ranch Guesthouses
Dallas
“Dance Hall - Outstanding Decorative Details & Highly Recommended.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

We stayed one night in the Dance Hall and found it beyond our expectations. Every decorative detail was unique and interesting, from the book "wall paper" to the truck bed. The kitchen has new appliances. It was very clean and we felt comfortable the moment we arrived. The space spans the first floor of a rather unappealing looking home and looking at it from the outside, we were very worried. But once we opened the doors, we were happy.
When we arrived, we needed to contact the owner because the lockbox for the key was jammed; but he arrived immediately with the key. Very, very nice and accomodating.
It was nice to stay in a place which offered the homey feel of a B&B with the privacy of a hotel. We brought our two kids (2 & 4), which we couldn't have done most B&Bs. Love it!
Be cautioned that we were confused about parking as only one slot was available and we had two cars; but we ended up parking in the alley with no problems.
There were ample towels. The beds were all extremely comfortable. A couple of things which would have made our stay more comfortable are extra linens and complimentary fresh coffee, fruits, snacks drinks. There was coffee and a coffee maker; but it was old and stale. For the upscale feel of the space, I think it would have been a nice touch. Having said that, the next time we're anywhere in the area, we will stay again!

2 Thank susanstrittmatter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Flower Mound, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

First of all I hate to even share this hidden gem...I want it all to myself! I came to Abilene with my daughter for one night for a college visit, and I cannot express how cute and extremely quaint this place is. All the amenities you could ever need...way way better than hotel stay. I can't wait to stay in all of the other cute cottages.

Room Tip: Just look at pictures...they speak for themselves!
Keller, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

Antiques and turquoise throughout! Very cozy! If you cook your meals, there is a gas stove. If you want to walk 1/2 mile to The Nature Food Center on South Seventh, it's well worth it for weekend brunch. Nice neighborhood and nice little retreat spot. The only minus is that the maid service was a bit lacking (coffee grounds left in the pot, no coffee in this unit, but not anything that would mess up a stay).

Room Tip: Very close to HEB and The Nature Center Food. Smart TV, gas stove, quiet neighborhood with big tree...
2 Thank Kayla P
Sandy Springs, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I'm writing this on my last night at the Fallen Star guest house, one of the 3-bedroom cottages offered by Sayles Ranch. A couple of colleagues and I are finishing up a visit to a local university, and decided to stay at the cottage as an alternative the the suggested hotels. The guesthouse has been highlight of the trip. The pictures showed what looked like a cozy cottage with a tasteful western decor... but what we found was so much more. This is a spacious home... with all the amenities of home. A modern kitchen with washer and dryer, etc. The bedrooms are fantastic; my room had a wonderfully comfy bed with top-notch linens and salvaged wood walls, giving it just the look one would expect from a cottage in Texas. The bathrooms are modern and clean. The best surprise was the screened-in-porch in the back. My colleagues and I spent hours there planning and discussing ideas from our conference. If you're looking to stay in the Abilene area, you won't find better than this. So much character and so much fun-- all at a reasonable price!

Room Tip: Take a look at all the photos on the Sayles Ranch website, and pick a cottage that suits your taste...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank JulesinAtl
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

To be honest, I'm writing this review FROM the Vera Wang bed/mattress (amazing) in Cabin Fever at Sayles Ranch. And I may not leave it. I'm driving from Marfa to Fort Worth and needed a place to stop...San Angelo was a mistake but Abilene is a HIT. Sayles Ranch is what it says it is on the website - if you read it that is - instead of ogling the rather stunning pictures. And I tell you what, the pictures a) don't lie, they really are that amazing and b) don't do justice to the ACTUAL rooms/houses, they are more amazing than you can imagine.

Sayles Ranch is a collection of astonishing houses, cabins, bunkrooms, etc. I was exceptionally lucky enough to be given a tour of quite a few of them - my unexpected evening with the Browders has been a highlight of my solo trip from the UK. But believe me, if you enjoy interior design, quirky objects, attention to detail, colour and comfort - you will be happy in any one of the houses. If you prefer Hampton Inn ubiquity, then yeah, you might get a shock. My brain is still reeling from the sheer imagination and love that has gone into making these guest homes so wonderful. I've been staying in a collection of Liz Lambert hotels in Texas but the truth is, Terry's style is much more 'me' and he's jolly lucky I'm not going home having nicked some of the cool things I've spotted.

Some homes have pools, others have bunk-rooms or 'teen suites' equipped with Xboxes. They ALL have a bathroom crammed full of fluffy towels, kitchens equipped with crockery/cutlery, etc. washers, dryers, and it goes on. I'm gutted that I'm only here a night - if I could - I'd move in.

Sayles Ranch is not a ranch. Sayles Ranch is a gem, a joy, a beacon of hospitality in Abilene and I need to find an excuse to get back here. Yes, I have an Abilene crush.

Room Tip: Just look at the website - they're all so different.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank chloerfowler
Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2010

Good location for access around the community. Nice space for a large family and having a pool made the heat and humidity easier to tolerate. The air conditioning worked well. Stayed in the large house with 4 bedrooms and the small cottage across the alley. It was comfortable for all. But, not having toilet paper, dish soap, and other supplies was frustrating. The small cottage was dark and cramped.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2009

Alternative lodging. If you dont care for the chain hotel and you are stuck in Abilene for whatever reason- visiting the schools for your children, attending training, or here on business- I HIGHLY recommend this place for different yet so comfortable lodging.

Our place, the Hideout- was so cool. Cozy kitchen, courtyard, comfy bed- all the comforts of home yet so far away. The doves here are magnificent and I live in the county! For some reason the dove population loves this guesthouse and you see & hear them everywhere! It makes you feel like you are in nature when in all actualtiy you are in Abilene TX!

Such a refreshing change to the typical hotel.
The host, Terry is very professional and exceeds in attention to detail!
I highly recommend this place if you are unfortnate enough to be stuck in Abilene.

5 Thank txwv2016