“My Of My, We'll be back!”

La Popular Bakery & Cafe
Ranked #72 of 281 Restaurants in Abilene
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: (325) 672-2670
Description: (325) 672-2670
Reviewed 22 March 2014

For a quick stop they dish out the best Mexican food around. Many times we have passed by this yellow and red building and never stopped; today we did. The restaurant was spotlessly clean and bright inside. Early Saturday about 6:30 a.m. constructions workers were arriving for breakfast, service was quick. Their Breakfast Burritos $2 each, chorizo, egg, potato and cheese and carne guisada (beef & gravy) were delicious. Their enchilada plate included beans and rice (about $7). Don't forget their delicious salsa, ask for it.. both red and green.
I enjoyed a fresh lemonade but it was too sweet. Their tea is too sweet, too! Too bad they don't serve UN-sweatened tea. We didn't try their fruit flavored aqua fresca (also sweet). Everything seems to be homemade with quality ingredients; the burritos were plump, and plenty of rice & beans on the enchilada plate. From their Bakery, I ate a pastry filled with Bavarian Creme, filling was okay (pastry not tender-flaky). We left with a small bag of cookies.. nothing to rave about in taste and texture. Overall, it was a very good experience. Next time I'll try their handmade tamales.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Really good taquitos. Tried various kinds. They are quick and good. Green salsa is really good with a spicy kick.

2  Thank cyn_mgmt1
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I like their breakfast tacos, but they're nothing special. Tortillas obviously are store bought. Have had lots better and only go when the roommate insists.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Swung by here for a quick bite when leaving Abilene. Wife loved the breakfast burrito and I thoroughly enjoyed my Mexican plate. Cant beat all the food on the Mexican plate for just $7. Grab some of the baked goods on the way out.....Will definitely return!

Reviewed 1 January 2014

I'm not a fan of traditional breakfast food but my husband is. Great compromise! He gets chorizo and egg. My favorite is barbaco with cheese and sour cream. They have sweet tea , no unsweetened. Ask for sauce otherwise you don't get! I like that the burritos are not huge. Buy 2, yu will be glad yu did.

Been to La Popular Bakery & Cafe? Share your experiences!