“Definitely worth my $52.00 coupon rate..Will be back.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Whitten Inn University
Whitten Inn University
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Abilene
Houston, Texas
“Definitely worth my $52.00 coupon rate..Will be back.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

The room I stayed in cost $52.00 total travel coupon rate for double full size beds.The room was clean with everything working..Flat screen tv,microwave and refrigerator.Lots of pillows and blankets.Room was big with table and chairs,new carpet and paint..Breakfast area was huge for lots of people had the usual breakfast menu and a little more.Truck parking for big semi is available just get there early this place fills up even thou it has alot of rooms.Located right off the freeway exit 288,I-20 construction going on so check your exit call hotel..I;ll be back..

Room Tip: Call ahead check on rooms available and use travel coupon..Semi drivers call ahead of time..Place wa...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Matthew S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Springfield, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

I was told about the hotel by a local business contact and because it was late in the day I headed right over. They said it was locally owned and not part of one of the big chains. The front desk staff was friendly and enthusiastic. They responded to my request for a "quite" room. They also gave me my senior discount which I thought was rather nice.

After checking in, I was sorry that I hadn't asked to see the room first. Actually, I drove around the hotel several times looking for the room. It too a few minutes to discover there were rooms opposite the ones facing the parking lot.

The room was rather ordinary and the bathroom tiny, tiny, tiny. I was not thrilled with the mattress as it was cheap and not particularly comfortable. But, I have to say that at least the pillows were decent.

One of the things that the enthusiastic deck clerks talked about was their hot breakfast. it was also a disappointment. The waffle machine had been removed. There was no decaf coffee for my travel companion who likes coffee but can't do the caffeine. Also, there was no toaster for the bread or bagels.

Actually, coming back from dinner after checking in, I saw a billboard with a rate lower than the senior rate I paid. I asked at the desk and they told me if I had taken the billboard rate that I would have been charged more for the extra person and there was some other added on charge. Kind of sneaky pricing.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms are on the pool side of the hotel but they are far from parking.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
San Bernardino, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

After witnessing a bus being allowed to park across 12 parking spaces on a sold out night, last night, and making a comment about it to the front desk, this guest was told directly to his face "per the owner" that he and his co-workers are no longer allowed to stay at this property due to his attitude. These are guests who are in the area for work and happen to stay frequently at this property.
After this occurred, he continued to be harassed with phone calls to his room to insist he get his co-workers to move their vehicle which they had used to take up one addition parking spot more than they should have, being told the hotel needed all available parking.

Now my questions is this...
If they really needed parking spots, why would you move one car for one parking spot when you could move a bus for twelve of them?
And what owner would tell a front desk member to inform a guest they were no longer welcome over an issue such as this?
I just so happen to be a previous hotel manager myself, and have worked the industry my whole life... I am completely disgusted by this display of horrific customer relations. You simply do not treat your regular guests in such a manner. These staff members SHOULD BE FIRED. YES I SAID IT- YOU WOMEN SHOULD LOSE YOUR JOBS!

We will see just how much this establishment cares about its guests, if and when they ever respond to any of this comment. Good hotels have someone in charge of Guest Satisfaction- does the Whitten Inn?

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
wiexpo, Manager at Whitten Inn University, responded to this review, 8 March 2013
In response to our guest's complaint we would like to set the record straight. This all started in the afternoon when a comment was made by you to the bus driver of a college baseball team who had fifteen rooms telling him where to park, after the desk clerks already told the bus driver where to park in relation to the 15 rooms they had with us. The bus driver mentioned to the front desk clerk how rude you were to him and she apologized to him for what was said. Later that evening we had 3 complaints from other guest in bottom floor rooms that they could not park anywhere near their rooms due to the 2 illegally parked pilot trucks taking up 2 parking spots each right in front of their room doors. We called the drivers of these 2 vehicles to ask if the could be moved into 1 spot each. When the desk clerk called their upstairs room regarding the parking of these two trucks she was told by the guest he was handicapped and would not move either of the trucks and he became very aggravated with the clerk. He then threatened to have her arrested for asking for the vehicles to moved because he is handicapped and can park wherever he wants to. We then sent an assistant manager up to the room to ask if the vehicles could be moved. He was also threatened to have the police called on him and told that the guest would be calling the local news and radio stations to complain. While he was near the room he looked at the guest's trucks and saw no handicap parking tags. The desk clerk then called the other guest in a different room with their party who makes their reservations and asked him to have his coworkers move their vehicles, which he refused to do. At that point the clerk reached her manager and was instructed to tell the guest if they will not follow the parking policies they would not be allowed back to the hotel after this stay, no one was evicted from their room. The clerk then called the owner and informed him what had been going on. We all thought this was a reasonable request that could have been taken care of very easily. We are in business to try to please all of our guests unfortunately that night we were not able to please our guests on the bottom floor who needed parking in front of their rooms due to these 2 trucks. We did hear from the local news station and responded to them. The news station also contacted their attorney who said there is no law regarding handicap persons taking up multiple spots. We would love to have you return to our hotel with the understanding that you will follow the hotel's parking policy.
Fort Davis, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

We were on a cross-state trip and needed a place to stop for the night. Because this was not a "vacation" stop, we thought the place was a great value at a very reasonable rate. The staff was attentive and pleasant; the room was clean. Upon check-out I mentioned that the refrigerator seemed to be making a noise, the staff immediately took out a 2-part maintenance ticket and wrote it up, assuring me that it would be investigated. So I know they are on top of their maintenance and take their guest comments seriously. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Schofield Barracks, HI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

I am disappointed over all with the quality for the price of this room. It's no better than a motel 6, or a super 8. At least at those place you get real soap, shampoo, conditioner. We stayed because they are pet friendly, but I will never make that mistake again. This room is overpriced even with the discount I received.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013 via mobile

Great for the discount price hotel rooms are, outrageously priced in Abilene. Otherwise expect to pay well over sixty a night BEFORE tax. Every other hotel that can match this rate of 50bucks in Abilene with coupon is going to be full of illegal activity

• Stayed December 2012
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012

We got a room with two full beds. It was small but nice and especially clean. I was really impressed on how clean things were. The cleaning staff appears to take pride in their work and do a great job. The one thing that the visit left me with was a question about whether I got the right price. There is a bulletin board about 5 miles to the east of the hotel. When I drove by I could have sworn that it quoted rooms for 49.99. However, when I arrived I was quoted the price of 69.99 (yes it is was for the same room not a single versus family rate). I get the feeling that the room varies greatly in price. I suspect that the bulletin board and the desk rate are different. So I suggest that if you are driving in from Dallas, Take a picture of the bulletin board on the way in... and use that for proof to get the rate that you think you are getting.

Room Tip: Don't get ripped off on price. Check advertised prices on their street bulletin boards
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family