“Comfortable and Reasonable”
Review of Whitten Inn

Whitten Inn
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Abilene
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I am a college student parent and will need to come and stay in Abilene often, so I have been trying different accommodations near I-20 about 5 mins from ACU. The hotel is older but I found my room decent, clean and the bedding was comfortable with plenty of pillows. There were NO BED BUGS anywhere (I checked). The staff made me feel at ease from the moment I called in for a reservation and they called ahead to ensure all would be to my liking. I got a room facing the pool so I could be far from the street noise so I slept well with no disturbances.

I give this hotel thumbs up for allowing small pets (with a super reasonable fee) in crates. Sometimes I need to travel to the area with my little Yorkie and it is nice to know she is welcomed.

The breakfast room was ample and I had good coffee and a freshly baked waffle, my son had a muffin and some juice.

Parking was difficult but nothing to be uptight about. While the room was a non-smoking room, I would prefer that there were smoking areas designated outside and away from room halls so those of us with severe allergies do not have to deal with smoking patrons.

The tv worked nicely, I had a small fridge w a freezer compartment and the shower had plenty of hot water. I would really like to see shampoo, conditioner and lotion bottles in addition to the wall soap dispensers, but again, this is not the Waldorf. It is a small, nice, comfortable, older hotel with a very friendly staff that makes sure one feels welcome. Reasonable rates make it affordable to come often.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ana T
wiexpo, Guest Relations Manager at Whitten Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

We want to thank you for your review, and patronage. Every hotel is at risk for the opportunity of unwanted little guest, we cant fully stop it, but we have taken several preventative measures, so our guest can sleep peacefully. Each and every Whitten property is pet friendly, we do charge a small fee, but understand they are part of your family too. Our property staff inform all smoking guest ,that are not staying in a smoking room, they must be 20 feet away from the building, this also includes any smoking employees. We do our best to accommodate all guest, and only ask those that choose to smoke, respect those that choose not too. We are glad your overall stay was a good one and look forward to seeing you throughout the year.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We went to Abilene for a birthday party and when the Name Brand hotel booked us on the wrong date, we had to find another hotel for the evening. Whitten Inn was extremely reasonable and even though college students were there with parents, checking in for school that weekend, it was very quiet and restful. Although it is an older hotel, the beds were comfortable and the staff was very nice and helpful. What I loved most was that it had better water pressure and hot water than most of the hotels I have stayed in. I would recommend it, and plan on staying there in September when we come back for another visit. It was worth the money.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

We want to thank you for writing a review of your experience at our hotel. Our hotel is always busy this time of year because we are so close to two Universities, and we our so glad our staff was able to take care of you. Yes, the property is an older one but our staff work hard to keep it running like new, and still able to offer a reasonable rate. September is another busy month, so remember to call ahead and make your reservations.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

This beds are hard. Backaches will probably haopen. Not impressed with this hotel. Appreciate the fact that there is no smoking in the room but had to walk through clouds of it outside to get to this room. Fighting an asthma attack. Would be nice if one side was reserved for those of us with severe allergies to smoke.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We have never received such service and welcome from a hotel before. We had to make a last minute trip to Abilene the end of July. Expecting no vacancies, we were pleased to be able to
make one at the Whitten Inn with no problem. It is extremely close to where we were going. Although no handicapped rooms were available, we made a reservation and was pleased that the room was bottom floor with easy access. While making the reservation we asked the clerk, Stasia, if she knew of a vet clinic that could watch our
dog while we went to our meeting. She didn't but said that the Whitten Inn was pet friendly and that the staff there would be happy to watch our pet while we went to the meeting, and to just
bring him by the front desk when we had to go. Stasia and the rest of the staff were so friendly and helpful not only at check-in but when we left our "Harley" and picked him up. We were longer than expected and offered a tip for them but they refused and said they were happy to
do it for us. This was such a great service for us as we hate to leave him at our clinic when we go out of town like that. The room was exceptionally clean & quiet and we appreciated the breakfast buffet the next morning. We will definitely stay at the Whitten Inn on our next trip to Abilene. We could not have been treated any better.

Room Tip: Bottom Floor on or close to the end with easy parking in front
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Linda D
wiexpo, Guest Relations Manager at Whitten Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

We thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay. We are so glad to hear how our staff went above and beyond for you and your pet. These kind of raving reviews remind us just how lucky we are to have the staff we have at all of our properties. All Whitten properties are pet friendly, in fact years ago we had a cat that stayed around our front desk and was the hotel's mascot. We look forward to seeing you and "Harley" on your next visit.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Do not park under the trees even if it is the only space available by your room! The birds literally pooped all over the front of my vehicle. I couldn't see out of my windshield and it smelled horrible. I asked for non smoking but the people in the room next to me would stand right outside my door not theis and smoke all hours of the Night and I could smell it in my room. The staff was great!

• Stayed: July 2014
wiexpo, Guest Relations Manager at Whitten Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We ask if you would call the hotel and speak with any of the front desk staff, let them know what room you stayed in because we take smoking within 20 feet of the hotel very seriously. Infact we have a disclosure on the back of our registration cards, we have all smokers sign, stating there is a fine for smoking in the room, and every front desk staff lets all smokers know that they must be 20ft from building. When it comes to the birds, we have tried several ways of deterring them from gathering in our trees to no avail. We will keep trying new ways as long as they are humane. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip, feel free to ask for a room not close to any trees.

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I am very troubled to have to write this review, but I would want to know this information if were I looking for a hotel. We stayed here the first week of June and just last week realized that our home had become infested with bed bugs, after having stayed in this hotel. I did call to inform management but I feel it is necessary for the general public to be aware of the possibility of bed bugs. I'm not saying don't stay here, just check your mattress and headboard first. If you're looking for luxury, this isn't it, in my opinion. But if you just need a place to crash (like we did), this hotel fits the bill.

I am now 99.9% sure that the bed bugs we had to pay $1900 to get rid of, came from this hotel. 6 weeks ago my husband retired from the Air Force and we made the move with our 2 young children and dog, from California to Louisiana. We had stayed in 2 hotels prior to this and had slept wonderfully and had no problems with itching or experiencing bites. The night we stayed in this hotel, I remember itching a lot and waking up to finding bites all over my 2 year old sons legs and arms, as well as a few on myself and my 4 year old daughter. Honestly, I just thought a mosquito was trapped in the room with us. I didn't know enough about bed bugs to even imagine that's what it was.

We had used a coupon (oh the irony in trying to save money) we found in one of those papers you get at the gas station. We pulled up very late and exhausted and it was clear that they put us in a room that had not been used in a while. I believe it was room 203. It was a room on the corner as soon as you go up the stairs, in the front of the hotel, to the left of the office. For the sake of the hotel, since I now know how expensive it is to fight these things, I do hope the bed bugs are only in that room.

Over the past 5 weeks, there hasn't been a day gone by where my son hasn't had a bite on him. He is fair skinned and has extremely sensitive skin, so he reacts immediately to any sort of irritation. He honestly had pretty perfect skin (minus a bruise or scrape or 2) until the next morning when we woke up in that hotel. Unfortunately, for 5 weeks I continued to think all the bites were mosquitos, since we play outside every day and I hadn't been consistent about putting bug spray on them. Plus, being insanely exhausted from this having been our 4th move and the 4th state (Delaware, Texas, California, Louisiana) to the 4th state we have lived in over the past 2 years, my brain just couldn't process the reality of bed bugs. It took my in-laws coming over and getting bitten, after sitting on our couch, for me to finally investigate and realize that all the constant itching wasn't just in my head, and the bites on my kids were not just from mosquitos.

I will get over the loss of money and our now empty living room, because we had to throw out our heavily infested couches, but it may be a while before I will sleep soundly again. The emotional toll this ordeal has put on our family has been overwhelming. Even our dog has become severely stressed out and has lost a considerable amount of weight.

Please know that I am not saying that this hotel is definitely infested with bed bugs, as I obviously have no other evidence but my story, but please please PLEASE check your mattress and headboard, no matter what hotel you choose. Again, the staff at this hotel was very kind, what little interactions I had with them. I'm not blaming the hotel and I don't want anything from them. I just need to be honest for the sake of possibly saving another individual or family from having to possibly endure the emotional and financial stress that bed bugs inflict. Now that I am very educated on the topic of bed bugs, I will hopefully be able to avoid any future infestations. If you're reading this review, do yourself a favor and go educate yourself on how to check a hotel room for bed bugs. No need to live in fear, just avoid setting your luggage on the floor until you have made sure the room is clean.

• Stayed: June 2014
5  Thank Cmgrayson
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

This is a family owned place and is an excellent stop along your trip. The staff was very cheerful, the room decorated very nicely and was very clean. Comfortable beds and lots of pillows. Plumbing itself could be updated but that isnot a downfall. Breakfast had a good variety and tasted fresh. A definate keeper on my list.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Europeantraveler2012
wiexpo, Guest Relations Manager at Whitten Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

We thank you for taking the time to write a review and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay. We constantly work hard to train our staff to be the best and most helpful front desk. We also are constantly working on updating our entire property. We would like to know more about the plumbing issues you experienced during your stay so that we can make sure they are taken care of. We look forward to your next visit with us.