“Extra Mile Hospitality”
Review of Whitten Inn

Whitten Inn
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Abilene
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I flew in from a long way to bring my child to ACU. From making my reservation via phone calls through the entire length of stay, the crew have been extremely hospitable. I stayed there for more than two weeks. The staff are nice, always greeting with friendly smiles. The computer and printer set up at the lobby have made my days much easier as traveller but need to deal with paper works. It's a quiet, clean and peaceful place to stay. Should I come back to visit again, it will be my only choice.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
wiexpo, Guest Relations Manager at Whitten Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

We thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. We are so glad to hear that our employees great hospitality skills shone through during your stay with us. We always try to make things comfortable and easy for all of our guest during their stays. We offer services that would help not only the travelers but business guest also to stay update on any paperwork they may need to complete, including guest computer and printer, fax and copy services, and if we are unable to do something for you can direct you to the closest business that can. We look forward to you any return trips you have to visit your child.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

At last minute,purchased one night stay at a super reasonable price. I did not expect much,because of the super low price...and boy was i wrong. The rooms were updated,VERY clean,smelled nice,everything working condition,even though by Hwy. no noise problem,staff very polished and inviting large spread for breakfast (waffle machine broken :( ),,,and only minutes away from ACU,,where my son just started school,and i plan to use this hotel for the next four years,as long as conditions stay the same.PS our first visit to Abilene we stayed at four star hotel across town by the mall, paid more than dbl. this price and smelled to the point of migraine,couldn't wait to get out of there. I am thankful to find Whitten. I give you FOUR stars.

Room Tip: Rooms by pool
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
wiexpo, Guest Relations Manager at Whitten Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Our hotel property throughout the school year, becomes home to so many parents and family members of students attending one of three Universities. We know that great rates and amenities offered are important so that you can spend worry free quality time with your loved one. While you're staying with us ask our front desk about the different sites to see around Abilene, and the Big Country while you wait for your student to get out of class, or enjoy our beautiful outdoor pool and just relax. We look forward to the opportunity to have you as our guest over the next couple of years, and remember we have 24/7 front desk staff if you need anything.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

The room was clean and the staff were very nice, but I did not like that the hotel seemed to be filled with all working men and very few families or couples. My daughter and I went down to the pool in the early evening and felt very uncomfortable with all the men looking down on us from the balcony of rooms around the pool. Most had a beer in hand. But in particular there were 3 men drinking a lot of beers from a cooler at the poolside. They got louder and louder as they drank and used vulgar language right in front of my teen daughter. We had to leave the pool area as it was very distasteful atmosphere that made me decide to leave Abilene a day earlier than expected. If there were families and couples staying there, they sure didn't come out and down to the pool--probably because the only ones out were the working men.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, and what you and your daughter encountered. Our hotel works with so many different types of events, groups, businesses, and individual travelers in which we offer great rates, and in return expect all guest to conduct themselves appropriately when in the company of other guest, especially minors. Our staff wants every guest to feel comfortable during their stay, and when notified will immediately resolve any issues with inappropriate behavior from any guest. We hope that the service we offered will convince you to stay with us again, and show you the true nature of our hotel and the guest that stay here.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I am a college student parent and will need to come and stay in Abilene often, so I have been trying different accommodations near I-20 about 5 mins from ACU. The hotel is older but I found my room decent, clean and the bedding was comfortable with plenty of pillows. There were NO BED BUGS anywhere (I checked). The staff made me feel at ease from the moment I called in for a reservation and they called ahead to ensure all would be to my liking. I got a room facing the pool so I could be far from the street noise so I slept well with no disturbances.

I give this hotel thumbs up for allowing small pets (with a super reasonable fee) in crates. Sometimes I need to travel to the area with my little Yorkie and it is nice to know she is welcomed.

The breakfast room was ample and I had good coffee and a freshly baked waffle, my son had a muffin and some juice.

Parking was difficult but nothing to be uptight about. While the room was a non-smoking room, I would prefer that there were smoking areas designated outside and away from room halls so those of us with severe allergies do not have to deal with smoking patrons.

The tv worked nicely, I had a small fridge w a freezer compartment and the shower had plenty of hot water. I would really like to see shampoo, conditioner and lotion bottles in addition to the wall soap dispensers, but again, this is not the Waldorf. It is a small, nice, comfortable, older hotel with a very friendly staff that makes sure one feels welcome. Reasonable rates make it affordable to come often.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ana T

We want to thank you for your review, and patronage. Every hotel is at risk for the opportunity of unwanted little guest, we cant fully stop it, but we have taken several preventative measures, so our guest can sleep peacefully. Each and every Whitten property is pet friendly, we do charge a small fee, but understand they are part of your family too. Our property staff inform all smoking guest ,that are not staying in a smoking room, they must be 20 feet away from the building, this also includes any smoking employees. We do our best to accommodate all guest, and only ask those that choose to smoke, respect those that choose not too. We are glad your overall stay was a good one and look forward to seeing you throughout the year.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We went to Abilene for a birthday party and when the Name Brand hotel booked us on the wrong date, we had to find another hotel for the evening. Whitten Inn was extremely reasonable and even though college students were there with parents, checking in for school that weekend, it was very quiet and restful. Although it is an older hotel, the beds were comfortable and the staff was very nice and helpful. What I loved most was that it had better water pressure and hot water than most of the hotels I have stayed in. I would recommend it, and plan on staying there in September when we come back for another visit. It was worth the money.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

We want to thank you for writing a review of your experience at our hotel. Our hotel is always busy this time of year because we are so close to two Universities, and we our so glad our staff was able to take care of you. Yes, the property is an older one but our staff work hard to keep it running like new, and still able to offer a reasonable rate. September is another busy month, so remember to call ahead and make your reservations.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

This beds are hard. Backaches will probably haopen. Not impressed with this hotel. Appreciate the fact that there is no smoking in the room but had to walk through clouds of it outside to get to this room. Fighting an asthma attack. Would be nice if one side was reserved for those of us with severe allergies to smoke.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We have never received such service and welcome from a hotel before. We had to make a last minute trip to Abilene the end of July. Expecting no vacancies, we were pleased to be able to
make one at the Whitten Inn with no problem. It is extremely close to where we were going. Although no handicapped rooms were available, we made a reservation and was pleased that the room was bottom floor with easy access. While making the reservation we asked the clerk, Stasia, if she knew of a vet clinic that could watch our
dog while we went to our meeting. She didn't but said that the Whitten Inn was pet friendly and that the staff there would be happy to watch our pet while we went to the meeting, and to just
bring him by the front desk when we had to go. Stasia and the rest of the staff were so friendly and helpful not only at check-in but when we left our "Harley" and picked him up. We were longer than expected and offered a tip for them but they refused and said they were happy to
do it for us. This was such a great service for us as we hate to leave him at our clinic when we go out of town like that. The room was exceptionally clean & quiet and we appreciated the breakfast buffet the next morning. We will definitely stay at the Whitten Inn on our next trip to Abilene. We could not have been treated any better.

Room Tip: Bottom Floor on or close to the end with easy parking in front
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Linda D
wiexpo, Guest Relations Manager at Whitten Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

We thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay. We are so glad to hear how our staff went above and beyond for you and your pet. These kind of raving reviews remind us just how lucky we are to have the staff we have at all of our properties. All Whitten properties are pet friendly, in fact years ago we had a cat that stayed around our front desk and was the hotel's mascot. We look forward to seeing you and "Harley" on your next visit.