“Very middle of the road” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Austin, Texas
“Very middle of the road”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

I went for lunch. The waiter was very nice but they only had a buffet for lunch although he offered to let me order off of the dinner menu. I took the buffet. They had good lentil soup but the rest of the food was pretty boring. I heard him tell someone that they couldn't spice it too much out in west Texas. If you like real Indian food order off of the menu. They did serve fresh, hot nan with the meal.

Visited March 2014

Abilene, Texas
“Great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

This place is great and the owner is very friendly. I love eating here especially for the buffet and naan. The buffet is not always hot but still delicious. Sometimes it is a hit or miss but worth it every time. I grew up eating Indian food an it's hard to get close to why I'm used to. Taj Mahal had come very close and I wish I could go more often

• Visited January 2014
merkel
“DISAPPOINTED”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

After seeing their TV ad decided to try the buffet, It consisted of lukewarm chicken and some watery spinach and beef and potatoes. It was served with Indian bread and watery pudding for dessert. The TV ad showed shrimp skewers on the TV but the owner said they would be rubbery if left on the buffet. The iced tea was very weak. All-in-all a poor value.

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Abilene, Texas
“Best in Abilene!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

I have reviewed this place on every site I can find to promote it on. Every time I have the money to eat out Taj Mahal is the first place I go. The owner and his family take great care of their customers, and we spent a great evening with them Christmas Eve. The owner takes great care in preparing his food with the best ingredients he can find. He spends hours slow cooking his meats and you can tell from the tendernise and the deep taste of the spices. I recommend this place to everyone I meet. Eat here! You wont be disappointed!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Matthew B
houston
“Don't judge a book by its cover - excellent food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

1st time visit here. A little worried that on a Friday evening, there was only one customer in the place. Typically this is either a sign the place isn't any good or just that Abilenians prefer their texmex and bbq over a little Indian adventure. Naturally the service was good - we were only one of two customers in the place. Ordered the Chicken Tikka Masala. If you're not familiar with Indian food, you can never go wrong with the Chicken Tikka masala dish. It is a mainstay. They asked what level of spice I wanted for the chicken dish. I guess you can pick your spice here and I like it spicy so I asked for "hot", which apparently was one level milder than "Indian hot". Also ordered the spinach and potato dish (can't remember the Indian name on the menu). The food comes with rice and regular naan bread (kind of like pita bread), but I upgraded to the garlic naan which is delicious. The food was absolutely delicious and the "hot" spice was perfect level of heat for me. The heat of the chicken dish reminded me of the hot green chile spice you get in New Mexico. I might try the "Indian hot" next time. I like to eat Indian about once every 2 to 3 weeks and I will be back for sure.

• Visited November 2013