“The Legend Lives On”

Description: 325-232-8217
Description: 325-232-8217
“The Legend Lives On”
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

The food is spectacular with a very unique layout that makes for a relaxed setting. The burnt ends sandwich makes for a good lunch and their steaks or chicken fried are perfect for Dinners. Love the themed burgers as well.
They best thing about the place by far is their desserts. The coconut cream pie and chocolate bourbon pecan pie are to die for. The watermelon tea is also second to none.
Every one is so friendly there though the new manager always seems very awkward and they go a little crazy on facebook.

• Visited August 2013

Central Texas
“An amazing find”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My husband and I just got back from a trip to Abilene for a conference. While we were in there, we tried this restaurant, and it was simple amazing! The variety of food choices for a variety of prices is the reason we chose to try this place, and we not disappointed. We started out with the ancho onion rings. The platter that came out was enough for 5 people and only cost $4.99. They were served with a great spicy ketchup and a creamy ranch dressing. Both of us had sandwiches which were served on homemade bread - mine a croissant and his a hamburger bun that had a star branded into the top for a nice presentation. The french fries were hand cut. The condiments that accompanied the plates included an ancho mayonnaise and a stone ground mustard served on the side. Their salad bar did not look like much when we walked by just out of the bright summer sun;however, when I ordered a salad, they said I could just go to the bar for a single trip. They had two types of gourmet greens that were fresh and crisp. There was a black eyed pea salad that looked marvelous, I just did not have any more room on my plate. They had grape tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, pickled beets, baby carrots and shredded cheese just to name a few. There were both croutons and sunflower seeds to top your salad. There was a choice of 8 salad dressings, all of which were homemade. I had a very difficult time choosing any one.

I cannot say enough about this establishment. Everyone was friendly and worked to make the customers feel at home. Everything was clean and neat and originally decorated. We were seated in a semi-circle booth at the back of the restaurant. There were four booths that were somewhat divided from each other by a wall with a window cut-out. It gave the feeling of being private without being isolated. They have outdoor seating as well. Our server, Christine, made us feel like long-lost friends.

The last thing I want to say is that their menu with the variety of choices was the main thing that drew me to Cattle Baron Cafe.There is literally something for everyone here. They have steaks, of course. Aged rib-eye steaks that are the most expensive things on the menu. I had had steak two nights in a row, so I had not planned to try them at this place. You could choose the steak as steak or on a blue cheese salad or with eggs as breakfast that is served all day. They currently have a special that is a 12 ounce rib-eye for $12.99 on Wednesday evenings. They also serve brisket, which we had had for lunch - so we did not have that either. It is served as the meat choice in fajita tacos as well as on a sandwich called a "burnt ends" sandwich. They use a brisket cut as one of the meat choices for their hamburgers, along with the regular ground beef. I wish I had been staying longer in Abilene so we could have gone and tried a couple of their burgers, of which there are many to choose from. You can also find traditional Texas fare like a chicken ranch casserole and a BBQ twist on meatloaf. Fried catfish, fish tacos, chicken friend steak, fresh mashed potatoes, homemade gravy, grilled corn on the cob and pecan pie are just a few more of the many things listed on this menu. I am a real foodie and was thrilled to see that they had the food network on the TV in the waiting area as we left.

If you have no idea what you are in the mood for and want a true Texas experience, visit this place. It is a tribute to the diners and cafes my family frequented on our travels through Texas when I was a kid. I miss them so much, yet there are still a few that hold up to my memories.

• Visited July 2013
Grayson, Kentucky
“I was impressed”
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

Beenin the area for a while and I was looking for someplace good and this place did not disappoint food was well prepared and the server could not have been better when I read the other reviews I didn't know what to expect but when I got there and I ate I was very happy I will go back

• Visited July 2013
Abilene, Texas
“Awesome Restaurant to Dine!”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

My husband, son, and I frequent this restaurant at least once a month as the food, service, and atmosphere are wonderful! It is a treat to dine here. I am working my way through their menu and have yet to fine anything I haven't liked. It is definitely a great place to eat!

• Visited June 2013
Abilene, Texas
“Cannot Recommend”
Reviewed 23 May 2013 via mobile

We ate there on Thursday night. It was not busy but server was so slow. We had to ask for water a couple of different times during the meal. The food was ok. French fried on appetizer and entrees were burnt. The ketchup tasted like it had gotten hot and was starting to spoil. The chicken fried chicken was acceptable but mashed potatoes came out barely warm. The good thing about the food is the portions are enormous but we could have gotten better food at Dairy Queen. I'm sorry to write such a negative review because I like to see the local places thrive but this place needs some quality control and improvements.

• Visited May 2013