“Met expectations (and that's NOT a good thing)!”
Review of Civic Plaza Hotel

and 1 more site!
Civic Plaza Hotel
Ranked #34 of 37 Hotels in Abilene
Albany, Minnesota
“Met expectations (and that's NOT a good thing)!”
Reviewed 21 June 2011

Travelled to Abiline for a wedding and stayed at this facility only because it was the accomodation that was arranged for our group. I had read all of the bad reviews and was very nervous about what our stay would be like, but reasoned that since we would not have our own transportation and it couldn't be any worse than sleeping outdoors--which I've done and made do with--we would stay here anyway to take advantage of the low group-rate, the group transport that had been arranged and to be with family and friends. Let's just say that the damning reviews are pretty spot-on. I could list all of the specifics about what was not good while we stayed but certainly don't have the time or space here. It is and was operated like real dump in a "questionable" neighborhood. We felt pretty prepared for what to expect going in and because of that all of the many issues almost made the experience laughable. Being with family/friends and the dirt cheap (Gee, that term seems SO fitting in this instance!)rate made our stay less than horrible, but just barely. I'd have gladly paid twice as much for better accomodations but at least now we'll have some pretty good stories.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank jfg29
rodewayinnabilenetx, Webmaster at Civic Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Rodeway Inn Downtown Convention Center for your recent stay in our area.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated.

In spite of what you considered negative experiences at our establishment, I hope you had a wonderful time with your family and friends.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 15 May 2011

I stayed here with my two teenage daughters and after the hotel overbooked by 11 reservations, they gave us the last room! Upon entering the door was held together by duct tape and would not the lock. The bathroom had lime buildup in the shower, moldy shower curtain, dirty toilet, dirty sink and counter. My children and I refused to take off our shoes, we slept in our clothes, pillows, sheets and comforter where dirty and had BUGS in them!! The T.V. did not work and we had to create a barricade to keep the vagrants out of our room. The front desk was dirty, unorganized and VERY unprofessional!! This is a JOKE of a hotel!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank lsoquinn
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

1) Management and security were notified of the vagrants who tried to enter your room and instructed to see that our valued guests are protected from this sort of thing.

2) Maintenance staff was instructed to see to the proper repair of the door of the room assigned to you and of the television.

3) Housekeeping staff received additional training concerning the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

4) The front desk staff received additional training concerning the courteous, respectful, helpful way in which they are to treat our valued guests.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Rodeway Inn Downtown Convention Center. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Travellers are raving about these Abilene hotels

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Most disgusting motel ever. Feces left in toilet upon check in, shower dirty with standing water, carpets filthy, wall paper coming off the walls with brown stuff running down the walls. In the room next to mine the guy said he had what he thought was fresh urine and blood on the bed! This was the worst experience ever and the owners are cowards. They would not come out and talk and it was graduation weekend so nothing else in Abilene was available. This was a nightmare, unbelievable. I never thought there were places like this.

Room Tip: Never Stay Here!!!
  • Stayed May 2011
2 Thank Roberta2007
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

1) Housekeeping staff received additional training concerning the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

2) The owners were approached about the courteous, respectful, helpful way in which they are expected to treat our valued guests.

San Jose, California
Reviewed 28 March 2011

DO NOT STAY HERE! The "free full breakfast" is a “bait and switch” lie. We were refused breakfast for 3 of 5 days. We had no useable toilets and no hot water for showers for part of stay. Rooms were dirty. Some amenities were not provided; some did not work. Staff was either incredibly rude or completely indifferent. As of this date, I have not been reimbursed for the items I paid for, but did not receive.
STAY ANYWHERE BUT HERE.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank TKelly100
Dear Guest,

1) The breakfast staff received additional training in presenting a proper breakfast.

2) Housekeeping staff received additional training concerning the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees. They also were instructed to see to it that all amenities that were to be included in the rooms were there and in proper working order.

3) Maintenance staff was instructed to see that the toilet and hot water in the room assigned to you were in proper working order.

Grand Prairie, Texas
Reviewed 11 March 2011

the room was nice and clean nice employes food was ok but you have to ask for a coupon to get it free or or $1,00 off you have your choice of about 4 things that are free
will stay there next time in abilene

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
ft stockton,texas
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Here for work for a training,my supervisor reserved the room for me,i am assuming because it is near the place where my training will take place....needless to say i wish i could have found this website with reviews before i made it to abilene....the room is not very clean,the are a few supicious looking people around.there are spider webs in the corners,I would leave & find something else but it simply not in my budget.I do not think i will get much sleep tonight! I wll to worried that someone will break into my car or my room! It is going to be a long night! i would not recommend that any one stay here! it would be ok for maybe oilfield workers or soemthing like that but not anyone else!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank eagleeye_10
Dear Guest,

2) Management and security staff were informed of your report of what you considered suspicious looking people around the property and instructed to see to it that our valued guests are properly protected.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 18 August 2010

My plans changed and I needed to cancel my reservation. Called the hotel (within the 24 hr period) and RECEIVED a cancellation number. My credit card was charge anyway. Now the Manager will not take my phone call or return any of my calls. If you choose to stay here, my recommendation is to not give the a valid credit card number. Because you will be called a liar if you need to cancel and you will be charged anyway. Good Luck

Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank MH080610
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your intentions to stay at Rodeway Inn Downtown Convention Center during your intended visit to our area. I am sorry that something came up causing you to have to cancel your reservation.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following step was taken:

1) The manager was approached concerning why your cancellation was not properly honored and why your calls were not taken or returned..

2) The manager received additional training concerning the courteous, respectful, helpful manner in which our valued guests are to be treated.

I hope that the next time you plan to visit in our area, you will once again choose to stay at Rodeway Inn Downtown Convention Center. I think you will be greatly pleased.