There was so much wrong it's hard to know where to start.
We checked in and received our room keys. Our assigned room was one of the rooms you have to access from the outside of the building. We found our room and saw the door to our room was in the middle of a huge puddle.
After walking through the puddle (see pictures) and opening the door to our room we immediately knew it was a smokers room. We returned to the front desk and explained that we had reserved a non-smoking room and would like to be put in a non-smoking room. The front desk responded they were at capacity and had no non-smoking rooms available. We could try back later to see if there were any cancellations but we were stuck with the smokers room.
Resigned to having to stay in a smoking room because all the other hotels in the area were also sold out we returned to the room. After another walk through the puddle to get back into our room we noticed that if the room had been vacuumed it had not been vacuumed very well. We also noticed one of the bulbs in the ceiling fan was burnt out. We also discovered the WiFi signal we were using in the lobby while waiting to check in was too weak to connect to in our room. We scanned for another signal and had nothing. We had no WiFi available in our room.
We were in Abilene for a wedding and decided to shower, get dressed, and not let the crappy conditions at our expensive hotel get us down. Using the bathroom we discovered a whole new set of complaints. The water pressure in the shower was so low it was almost impossible to wash our hair. There was a vent cover for an exhaust fan but there was no fan and no exhaust other than leaving the bathroom doors open; yeah, that was pleasant. The paint on the bathroom ceiling was peeling, the hinges on the bathroom doors were incredibly rusty, and one of the bathroom door knobs was falling off.
After the wedding we returned to our room. The puddle was still there so we again had to walk through it to get into our room. We were tired and discovered that despite it reeking of cigarette smoke the bed was pretty comfortable and we slept well.
In the morning we headed out through the puddle in front of our door and inside to the restaurant for the 'Made to Order' breakfast that came with our stay. We soon learned 'Made to Order' meant something different than what we expected. Would you like bacon or no meat? Would you like scrambled eggs or no eggs? Would you like home fried potatoes or no potatoes? Whatever, we didn't have to go far for it and the scrambled eggs weren't the worst we've ever eaten.
After breakfast we headed back to our room. We had to cross through the puddle once again to get to our room. If you're tired of reading about the puddle imagine having to walk through it every time you want to enter or leave your room. While we were trying to shower, pack, and get out we noticed that a member of the housekeeping staff repeatedly came and peeped in through the window in our door to see if were were gone yet.
The room cost at the MCM Elegante Suites is very high for the area. We had read good reviews and were looking forward to our stay. We were severely disappointed with this hotel and will not book a room here again. Our advice is to stay away.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelClick, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your MCM Elegante Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mcm Elegante Hotel Abilene