“Great Hotel”

MCM Elegante Suites
Ranked #15 of 37 Hotels in Abilene
Reviewed 27 May 2014

For my birthday I treated myself to a presidential suite. It was very nice. Only complaint I had was there was some sort of event going on and their were kids EVERYWHERE. So I never got to use the pool because it was too crowded. I do however know the hotel had nothing to do with this. But I enjoyed the happy hour and the free breakfast. Huge selection for being a free breakfast. The tub in my room didn't drain too well. But I enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Just make sure there isn't a children's event in town if you are wanting to use the pool.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I was very impressed when I walked into the lobby. The staff was very efficient and helpful. At that moment I was convinced that the extra money I paid would give me a 4-Star experience in Abilene. It is advertised as "The best hotel in Abilene". So far, I agreed. It's really beautiful inside.

So I easily found my room with the check-in staff's directions and map. Opened the door. WOW! This is pretty nice. It's a full 2-room suite with large bathroom, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, etc. etc. etc. Carpet looks pretty new, bathroom finished out well, nice king-sized bed; everything looked perfect. The air conditioning is super quiet and effective. All very good points that helped the hotel earn my 3-point average rating.

I turned on the TV to browse the channels as I habitually do in every new hotel room. The reception of the first 9 channels was awful with diagonal herringbone lines on the screen. As I moved up in channels, the picture improved. BUT THERE WERE ONLY 20 TOTAL CHANNELS! Really! Only 20. It was like sub-basic cable. Only a couple of my favorites were present; the rest were useless to me. TV-wise, it was like being back in the 60's. The room has 2 TV's. As it turns out, only the TV in the front room of the suite had issues that made it not useable.

OK. I'll check my email. (another habit of mine)
They say they have WiFi in every room. WELL, it does kind of exist . . . kind of. You have to hold the iPad in a certain position to get 2 or more bars. And even when the connection is stable, it's excruciatingly slow. I mean really, really, really, really, really, really slow! So slow that my email program in the iPad would time out while trying to connect. After many tries, an email might pop into the inbox . . or it might not. Think 300 baud over a telephone line. That's how bad it is. Forget browsing websites . . . . I talked to at least a dozen other friends that stayed at the same hotel for our event this weekend; same story from all. Their WiFi is absolutely useless. I couldn't use it the entire weekend. I gave up after the first day.

So while I'm at it, I might as well unload:

Number 3 distraction was the unsanitized glasses in the bathroom and vanity. Remember the investigative reporting that showed unsanitized glasses in hotels, and how some were simply rinsed by housekeeping to set out for the next guest? Well, that's what you get at the Elegante. I thought that reporting convinced hotels and motels to switch to sanitized and sealed in plastic bag glasses. Not here, though. Needless to say, I never used their bathroom or vanity glasses during my 2-night stay. No telling who used them last and whether they were actually clan or not.

Number 4 is the shower. The hot water was only slightly above warm for the 3 showers I took during my stay. There was no adjusting; just full on HOT produced tepid warm water each shower. And it dribbles. Plan on spending several minutes standing in the warm dribble just to get your body wet. Several more minutes were required to rinse off after soap. It just dribbles and dribbles. The massage shower head would probably have been nice if there'd been enough water pressure to make it go.

Finally, "Pillow-top mattresses"? I don't think so.
My room had a standard medium-soft mattress with a quilted pad on top of it under the sheet. The sheets are not crisp and clean-feeling. I was expecting so much better. I would give the bedding a 1-star to 2-star rating; commensurate with the most budget motel.

Now I'd like to say something good about the hotel. The breakfasts were outstanding! The wide variety of breakfast food is cooked and served in cafeteria-style setting. There were plenty of tables, clean silverware, very nice serving staff, and all the breakfast food you can eat. The Elegante has one of the best complimentary breakfasts I've ever enjoyed.

So if the TV was up to date, Internet actually worked, good hot shower, and better breakfast; I'd have given the Elegante Suites a 4 or even 5 star rating. With work in those areas, they could easily live up to their billing as "The Best Hotel in Abilene". But unfortunately, these are important points to me and paid extra for them. I want a TV that really works and gets a full compliment of channels, high speed internet so I can stay connected for work and pleasure, a good firm mattress with crisp bedding, and a shower that doesn't require my taking 30 minutes with the water running as hard and hot as it can, to get wet, soaped, rinsed, and relaxed.

Since the price was quite high; and their advertising of elegance and luxury so impactful, I hold the Elegante to a higher standard than other hotels. In that respect, the hotel didn't deliver. Quite honestly, the Elegante isn't nearly to the level of most Holiday Inns in which I've stayed. My experience is that they have a beautiful interior, nice rooms, and a wonderful breakfast; but fall way short in other areas.

I do not recommend this hotel to those that expect a 4-star experience in Abilene.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank UltraLimitedTraveler
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights at this hotel. The decor was very elegant. Room service was responsibility priced and the chicken fried steak was huge! It was nice having the extra living space with a table also. The free breakfast was wonderful they made our eggs fresh and how we wanted them. They had 4 free alcoholic beverages between 5:30 and 7, with bottomless chips and salsa. Overall a very pleasant stay for us. There were some things that I felt like needed improvement, that are very minor. They microwave we had in our room was old and didn't warm up food very well, our tv remotes were so delayed that it literally took a minute to change a channel, when we first arrived into our room the counters were dusty and there were wrappers in one corner behind a night stand, we have a young child and we brought an I pod to plug into the tv so he could watch his movies, the hotel somehow made the tv ' s unable to work manually so we couldn't change the Input to play his movies ( more than likely they want you 2 purchase the movies they are selling) the major thing that we were Un happy with was they deactivate our room cards before check out time on our last day, not knowing this we were locked out of our room and the hotel while we were loading our luggage in our vehicle. Overall this was a very nice hotel and we will stay there again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Short overnight trip, just to get away, and discovered this unique hotel. The decor and architecture is beautiful, common areas with fountains and live plants. Most hotels these days are "pop in, pop out", but would gladly hang out here for days, so peaceful and relaxing. We thoroughly enjoyed the Easter Sunday buffet, delicious and elegant. The free prepared to order breakfast was much more than the "norm".

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

I along with several of my colleagues changed to this hotel after receiving very poor customer service at the Hilton Garden Inn in Abilene. From November 2013 to January 2014 we stayed at this hotel and I have to say I was pleased for all of my stays. I thought the customer service was excellent and the free breakfast in the morning was great. While this is an older hotel and the rooms could be renovated, I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking to stay in Abilene. In addition, it is conveniently located next to the mall and multiple eating establishments.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

There is a lot to like at this hotel, but the rooms are definitely in need of some renovations and upgrade to become more modern.
My bed felt over used and had a dip in the middle, but other than that i was happy.
I enjoyed the facilities including game room and table-tennis table/pool table etc
The breakfast was excellent also.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Kathi H, Manager at MCM Elegante Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank-you for taking the time to share your experience at the MCM Elegante Suites. A person's comfort and stay is very important us. I am hoping that you will please contact me as to what room you stayed in so we can take care of the mattress situation. Unless a guest makes us aware of certain concerns we do not know. While there may be different needs that arise with everyone, a sagging mattress definitely requires our attention. Never hesitate to contact the Front Desk in your future stays as we are open 24 hours and we want your stay to be a pleasant one.
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Most sincerely,
Kathi Hawkins

Reviewed 17 March 2014

There was so much wrong it's hard to know where to start.

We checked in and received our room keys. Our assigned room was one of the rooms you have to access from the outside of the building. We found our room and saw the door to our room was in the middle of a huge puddle.

After walking through the puddle (see pictures) and opening the door to our room we immediately knew it was a smokers room. We returned to the front desk and explained that we had reserved a non-smoking room and would like to be put in a non-smoking room. The front desk responded they were at capacity and had no non-smoking rooms available. We could try back later to see if there were any cancellations but we were stuck with the smokers room.

Resigned to having to stay in a smoking room because all the other hotels in the area were also sold out we returned to the room. After another walk through the puddle to get back into our room we noticed that if the room had been vacuumed it had not been vacuumed very well. We also noticed one of the bulbs in the ceiling fan was burnt out. We also discovered the WiFi signal we were using in the lobby while waiting to check in was too weak to connect to in our room. We scanned for another signal and had nothing. We had no WiFi available in our room.

We were in Abilene for a wedding and decided to shower, get dressed, and not let the crappy conditions at our expensive hotel get us down. Using the bathroom we discovered a whole new set of complaints. The water pressure in the shower was so low it was almost impossible to wash our hair. There was a vent cover for an exhaust fan but there was no fan and no exhaust other than leaving the bathroom doors open; yeah, that was pleasant. The paint on the bathroom ceiling was peeling, the hinges on the bathroom doors were incredibly rusty, and one of the bathroom door knobs was falling off.

After the wedding we returned to our room. The puddle was still there so we again had to walk through it to get into our room. We were tired and discovered that despite it reeking of cigarette smoke the bed was pretty comfortable and we slept well.

In the morning we headed out through the puddle in front of our door and inside to the restaurant for the 'Made to Order' breakfast that came with our stay. We soon learned 'Made to Order' meant something different than what we expected. Would you like bacon or no meat? Would you like scrambled eggs or no eggs? Would you like home fried potatoes or no potatoes? Whatever, we didn't have to go far for it and the scrambled eggs weren't the worst we've ever eaten.

After breakfast we headed back to our room. We had to cross through the puddle once again to get to our room. If you're tired of reading about the puddle imagine having to walk through it every time you want to enter or leave your room. While we were trying to shower, pack, and get out we noticed that a member of the housekeeping staff repeatedly came and peeped in through the window in our door to see if were were gone yet.

The room cost at the MCM Elegante Suites is very high for the area. We had read good reviews and were looking forward to our stay. We were severely disappointed with this hotel and will not book a room here again. Our advice is to stay away.

Room Tip: We were told the rooms you enter from inside the main hotel are better than the room we had.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends