“Couldn't Have Been Better”

Holiday Inn Express Abilene
Ranked #22 of 37 Hotels in Abilene
birmingham alabama
“Couldn't Have Been Better”
Reviewed 4 December 2008

My stay couldn't have been any better! I stayed for 6 nights, and i must say after 11 hrs of traveling i was very happy to arrive! I walked in at 3:40am and the front desk lady (diane) was waiting on me with keys in hand! My check in took less than 30 seconds!

My room was clean, smelled good, and the bed..A---MAZING!

• Liked — EVERYTHING!
  • Disliked — NOTHING IT WAS ALL GREATY
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank BHAMChris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Scottsdale
Reviewed 8 July 2008

My husband and I stayed there June 27th and 28th 2008 and found the property in good condition. We were greeted in a very friendly manner. The room was clean and in good repair. The breakfast was good and the food was available later than the announced breakfast time. We were there for a wedding and our family met in the breakfast room area and it was comfortable , had a nice couch and tv. The location is close to Abilene Christian University.
I would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — It was clean, good breakfast and near Abilene Christian University
  • Disliked — The hairdryer broke.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank ClareScottsdale
san angelo, tx
Reviewed 2 June 2008

This was the nastiest hotel I have ever seen, especially for being charged $110/ night. We battled cock roaches on our bed and in our room and ants at the pool. The room stunk like cigarette smoke and had burn holes in the carpet of our "smoke free" room. There was gum stuck to the floor in our bathroom along with so much grime and gunk that there was a mat of body hair stuck to it all. We were afraid to use the toilets this hotel was so disgusting. Do NOT stay here. You will be better off sleeping in your car or camping.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank underbecky
Texas
Reviewed 5 March 2008

I like staying at HI Express Hotels, so when I was sent to Abilene on business I cancelled the reservations my boss had made at a different hotel and reserved a room at HIE South Abilene.

When I arrived, the poor girl at the front desk had three folks in line waiting to check in, and she seemed as if it were her first day on the job and she hadn't been trained in how to do it. She repeatedly had to consult the manager on duty in the back, who acted put out when he came to assist her, then went right back in the back even though he saw all of us waiting to check in. He talked down to the girl whenever he did come back out, and I was more than a little surprised that she didn't quit right there and leave.

My room, which was supposed to be a suite, was your basic hotel room set-up, but was very clean and comfortable. It was very noisy, though, on the first floor by one of the exits, and the walls seemed paper thin. I went to sit in the hot tub, but was told that it would not be available for use until April, which was the hotel's policy. I had asked about the hot tub when I called in my reservation, and was told that they had one but was not told that it wasn't in use, which ticked me off. After all day on the road, a hot tub is very welcome for relaxation, and I would have stayed with my original hotel if I had known that there was no hot tub available at HIE. Oh, and one of the two computers in the business centers was down, and the other was occupied by a teenager sending text messages for hours. I couldn't access the wireless internet in my room and went to try and check my emails, but couldn't get on because of the teen. Every other HIE I have been to usually asks the guests to limit the amount of time spent on the computer if another guest needs to use it, but not this one. The girl at the front desk said there was nothing she could do about it.

Finally, the breakfast, which I usually look forward to when I stay at HIEs, was a disappointment, too. There was no whole milk, they ran out of 2% milk, and the skim milk cartons' expiration dates had passed, so no cereal could be had. All of the hot food except the cinnamon rolls was out, even though there weren't all that many people at the breakfast. When I checked out, nobody said a word to me or thanked me for my business.

Next time Im in Abilene, I think I will stick with the other hotel that my company had originally booked me in. I will give other HIEs a shot, but another experience like the one in Abilene will probably be enough to get me to switch my hotel allegiances.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank AustiniteTexas
San Antonio Tx
Reviewed 28 November 2007

Holiday Inn Express at Clack and Hyw 83
Abilene is my home town although I live in San Antonio Tx now. We return about 6 times a year.and we have stayed in many places and this Holiday Inn is by far the best place I have seen Abilene. It was very clean and modern. The room was 'very' big and clean and the staff was excellent . They were attentive, helpful and courteous. I can't wait to go back and visit again and as long as it stays the same I won't stay anyplace else in Abilene.

Stayed November 2007
Tyler, Texas
Reviewed 24 April 2006

We reserved a non-smoking suite several weeks ahead of a wedding we were attending in Abilene, using the main Holiday Inn toll free number.

We arrived to find that they'd reserved us a SMOKING regular room (not a suite.) We were told that we must have reserved smoking, even though I made the reservation myself and confirmed twice that we requested non-smoking. Then, the desk clerk told us the "800# reservations are always wrong". He offered to let us hang around the lobby until 6pm to see if anybody cancelled in a non-smoking room. When I told him that we had a rehearsal dinner to attend at 5:00, he snapped "I'm trying to work with you here, ma'am."

Since all other hotels in town were full, we decided we'd have to keep the smoking room. As we were out in the parking lot unloading our luggage, the desk clerk came running out and told us the room wasn't ready yet, and wouldn't be ready for another half hour or more. This was after he'd checked us in, given us a key, and told us the location of the elevator. (Oh, and after he'd incorrectly told me that there was a side entrance on the side we were staying on.)

After cooling our heels in a local diner for an hour, we finally and reluctantly headed to our smoking room (we had a six-year-old with us who doesn't react well to cigarette smoke) only to find it wasn't a suite, as we'd requested. There were four of us staying, and we really wanted a pull-out sofa (which we were told we'd get when we made the reservation.) Again, we were told the hotel was full and there was nothing to be done.

There were only two towels provided for four people. When we called to ask for more, we were told they "couldn't leave their area" and we'd have to come down to the desk if we wanted more towels.

Less than five minutes after the continental breakfast closed, we asked if we could just get some juice or milk from the b'fast room, and were told it was "all put away."

We didn't encounter even one friendly person on the entire hotel staff. Nobody asked how our stay was, or seemed to care if we had a problem. We were treated like we were an imposition and a problem.

Bungled reservation, poor service, lack of amenities, and lack of concern. We won't be staying here again.

• Stayed April 2005
6 Thank jillitalia
Abilene, Texas
Reviewed 15 November 2005

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for five nights in November 2005. This was my fourth trip to Abilene over the past several months. I have stayed in a different hotel on each trip. The overall experience at the Holiday Inn Express was superior to the other hotels in which I have stayed--Courtyard, La Quinta and Whitten Family Inn.

The hotel is nearly new and well-maintained. Rooms are spacious. I had a king room, which included a seating and study area, a microwave and mini-fridge. The bath of standard Holiday Inn, which is to say functional if not spectacular.

Business center with two computer stations is open 24/7. The Breakfast Bar included eggs and biscuts as well as cererals, fruits and pastries.

Staff was friendly and helpful. I paid $90 per night, more than at the other hotels in town.

The only real downside to this hotel is location. It is on the opposite side of town from the mall and most restaurants. Not much is nearby, but a new Cracker Barrell will open soon....5-10 minutes away down Judge Ely Blvd. Rosa's mexican food restaurant is new and reccommended....and Lytlle Cattle Company is highly reccommended. Excellent steaks in a Texas road house atmosphere.

• Stayed November 2005, travelled on business