“Classic in every sense”

Ranked #30 of 37 Hotels in Abilene
Houston, Texas
“Classic in every sense”
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I've read some of the unkind reviews and understand where they are coming from. However, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. I'll cover pros and cons. Let's get the elephant out there first by stating cons:

1. The hotel is dated. It is stuck in time of the 70's. The decor does not match the higher dollar chains as you might find in a Marriot...Big Deal, not to me. As a kid growing up in the 70's this hotel took me back to a very fun time in my life.
2. There are other cosmetic issues that people with a very discriminating eye notice. Paint colors being odd and not quite right. Chairs don't match...Not a big deal to me as long as they are comfortable and they were.

Pros:

1. The hotel GM is outstanding with customer service. He is very accommodating and wants you to have a good stay at his hotel.
2. My bed was great and it was extremely comfortable.
3. Keurig Coffee makers in each room. That is nice and I've had those at only higher dollar hotel chains. This was a pleasant surprise.
4. My room was clean and the staff was always cleaning.
5. The pool is awesome. They also have a T.V. out there with three grills. Great for a quick grill party.
6. Thai restaurant attached to the hotel had good Thai food. The lounge attached to the hotel made it easy to grab an adult beverage and walk back to your room. These places have different owners, but are a nice convenience for an out of towner.
7. the T.V.s in the room are nice and have a good line up for those that need to wind down.
8. The breakfast buffet is outstanding. If the GM "Ish" is there - ask him to make you his style of Indian type scrambled eggs. They were fantastic. I've paid twice as much for another hotel and the breakfast was horrible. They have fresh fruit, oatmeal, eggs to order, sausage, waffles, little white powdered donuts, biscuits, kolaches...You name it, you will probably see it. If you are a health freak like me, then you can have a great healthy breakfast. If you have a morning to just go crazy, you can have it there too.
9. Service was great.

Overall, I had a very good experience. I'll overlook cosmetic issues if the service is good and the hotel is clean (which this place was). If you want the biggest bang for your dollar and a good value, then know that this is your place. If you are a snob and only go to the higher dollar chains, then this place will not make you happy. You'll complain about everything. Stick to your expensive chains.

For those that want great service and value, then give it a try.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
7 Thank Charlie V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Unadilla, New York, United States
Reviewed 1 April 2013

The staff was very attentive to our every need.. Room was clean... Free buffet breakfast was great.... Restaurant attached had wonderful Thai food... Attached to that was a Lounge/Club specials every night.... Could not beat the expierance for the price.. We were thier visitig family for 7 days.... no issues at all.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Lastdollar79
Florence, Arizona
Reviewed 18 March 2013

The bed was really uncomfortable, and the place is not very clean, but they are trying hard. The manager was very nice and the breakfast was great. The restaurant was also really good for dinner. The location is not really convenient and we were sorry we drove past several other nicer hotels to get to this one. It was cheap and they allowed pets.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank bobkatran
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Since I had to give it at least one star, I guess that is what I'll do. If I could rank it below that, I would certainly do so. We work through the area and have stayed at this hotel, along with others who work with us as well. In one night, two of our work trucks were broken into and we lost over $500 worth of our equipment. As they smiled at the front desk in the morning, they informed us there was nothing they could do. We have since found out that another friend of ours who stayed there and is no longer working in the area also had her truck cleaned out in the middle of the night as well. The employees/owner/management will charge you a different rate each time you come in while boasting about their big buffet breakfast they offer in the morning. However, I sure would like to see them put a little more thought, time, care, and effort into the safety of their guests and their belongings. Forget the damn breakfast and put some damn security cameras out in your parking lot. That is where you obviously have an issue. And at worst, hire one of your employees to walk the lots at night to keep your guests property secure.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel that offers security so you can rest assured that you will actually be able...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Angela0818

Travellers are raving about these Abilene hotels

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Despite the positive rating on Booking.com, this place is scary bad.
How anyone could give it 4-5 stars is a complete mystery to me.
The smells you encounter here will be with you for days.
Hallways:
Imagine sticking your entire head in a bucket of Juarez potpourri laced with dirty socks.
Now multiply that times 10.
Our room:
Imagine sticking your entire head in a bucket of dirty sock concentrate.
We had to wash EVERYTHING that came in contact with the room when we got home.
The beds were really bad and worn out. The room, featuring a decor right out of a 70s bad B horror movie, was fairly clean in spite of the odor. The free hot breakfast looks good as long as you don't think about possible kitchen conditions. We had to pass.
Unless you enjoy pungent, omnipresent unidentified smells, extreme 3rd world decorating, and bad beds, you probably shouldn't stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1954bratt
Austin
Reviewed 27 February 2013

Quick and easy check-in (prepaid thru Easytobook.com). New king mattress. Nice dinner in the Thai restaurant. Wonderful huge breakfast with made to order omelet. Definitely recommended would stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

4 Thank Greg H
Grayson, Kentucky
Reviewed 31 January 2013 via mobile

Working long term in Abilene area. Stayed at a couple others before I came here. For my needs this was it. It is a older place but my room had a new pillow top mattress and was real comfortable to me. Room was newly painted. The carpet in my room new also. The breakfast was better than any of the more expensive places that I stayed and the manager did everything I needed to make me at home. I would stay here again whenever work brings me within driving distance.

• Stayed January 2013