“Used to Be My Favorite Place - Not Now -Terrible”
Review of The Melting Pot

The Melting Pot
Ranked #139 of 197 Restaurants in Addison
Price range: US$50 - US$50
Cuisines: Swiss
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Landmark & Quorum
Description: Fantastic Fondue restaraunt!!
Dallas, Texas
“Used to Be My Favorite Place - Not Now -Terrible”
Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I decided to celebrate Valentines Day early in hopes of not having to have long waits and frustration because of all the customers that go to restaurants on Valentines day. So we celebrated the weekend before. The Melting Pot in Addison has always been my favorite place to go until now. Prior visits were fantastic, this last visit was HORRIBLE!! It was so bad that my boyfriend went on the website and placed a one to two page email to them. That was a week ago and we still have not been acknowledged or apologized to. So my boyfriend now is sending the letter to corporate. My boyfriend and I do not like to make a scene so we did not express our dissatisfaction at the time. The whole night was a disaster so I will just list the top things that went wrong. My boyfriend called in advance to make reservations for a Saturday night. The first time he called, he got a voice mail so he left a voice mail....He never got a call back. Four hours later he calls back, a lady answered and she tells him we can make a reservation for 8:15 p.m. Then she puts him on hold, after being on hold for a good four minutes a man answers and says how can i help you? Then my boyfriend explains what happened, then the man puts him on hold. Then he comes back on to take the reservation. We arrive about 5 min early (We would have been there earlier but it took is 25 min to valet park in their parking lot). checked in with reservation staff then went to get a drink in the bar. An hour later!!!!! We were seated! If I make reservations some where I should be seated within fifteen minutes of my reservation. The drinks at the bar were good but very crowded since they were very busy that night. After being seated for about ten minutes, the waitress finally came over. She sat a tray of dirty dishes right in front of us with lobster carcass and such while she takes our order. We asked a question about the cheddar bacon cheese that was on the valentines menu was available for the other meals. She said it was not. When she came back my boyfriend asked if the special that was on the small card/menu was only available with the Valentines menu since it had the cheddar bacon cheese in it. She said we could get that on the normal menu items. This caused a lot of confusion. The waitress was not as professional or friendly as the ones we had in the past. She almost sounded like a robot spouting out only what she learned in training and talking very fast like she was always in a hurry or being over worked. When I was ready for another drink I could not get it for quite some time because our waitress was no where to be seen. Before she brought our salads my boyfriend was finally able to wave her over. I then ordered a bottle of wine. She brings our salads out next, then a little while later she brings the cooking pot, with still no wine. So my boyfriend asks about it. We knew she forgot about it but told us the bar was very busy. Then we waited another 20 min before getting it!! After dinner it took her about ten minutes to pick up the check. At this point it was late and it had gotten slower in the restaurant. While waiting for the check my boyfriend gets up to use the restroom. When he went in there was a male host in the men's room who had actually seated us earlier with his foot propping open the door while he was leaning over the sink. He kept the door slightly propped open as my boyfriend goes to the urinal thinking for sure he would shut the door all the way out of respect. While using the urinal, a younger lady hostess walks in!!!!! She then notices my boyfriend at the urinal. She stares for a second then leaves. My boyfriend asks the male hostess if the bathroom was closed or something or if this in fact was the men's bathroom. He smarted off and said no its open and the ladies room does not have urinals. So he was rude to my boyfriend after the embarrassment of what just happened to him at a supposedly up scale restaurant. My boyfriend then comes back to the table to tell me what happened. So as we are sitting there in the next area the woman hostess who walked in on my boyfriend is cleaning with another employee and we hear them whispering and giggling about what just happened to my boyfriend!!!!! We are very upset at this point. Although we still tip at 20% and continue to bite our tongues and be nice. I never write this long of a review but this was a horrible experience we will never be back to this location. And now that no one from management with this restaurant has contacted us to apologize, we will never be back to this chain or any other melting pot in the US. It almost seems like someone diff is running this location after this horrible experience when past experiences were amazing. We will never be back here and we hope that anyone else who goes here never has to go through what we did.

Dallas, Texas
“The Stew Pot”
Reviewed 24 February 2013

If you like your filet mignon and mahi-mahi stewed in the same pot of boiling herbs , wine, water, whatever-then this is your place. The cheese dip that comes with bread, vegetables and fruit was a good starter, the entree( see above), was barely palatable. Chocolate dessert, can't go wrong, but needed fruit in addition to strawberries, to counter all the sweet choices.
Atmosphere is cozy and dark-appropriate, service was cheerful and enthusiastic.

Austin, Texas
“Melting Pot Meltdown”
Reviewed 24 February 2013

My husband, daughter and myself ate at The Melting Pot tonight February 23, 2013. We had reservations at 6:45pm and were finally seated at 7:15pm. We started with Traditional Swiss fondue for 3. The fondue never really got hot. We did receive a BIG bowl of cubed bread,(had half a bowl left over), 2 pieces of broccoli, 2 baby carrots and 1 piece of cauliflower, and 6 pieces of a granny smith apple. We then ordered 3 California salads. The plate was saturated with black walnut dressing and a minimal amount of salad greens, some minced tomatoes, no candied pecans and you needed a magnifying glass to find the gorgonzola cheese.The size of the salads was like taking a normal size salad and splitting it three ways. We were still charged for 3 salads. The entrees also have been reduced with a minimal amount of meat. We ordered flaming turtle fondue for dessert which again did not get very hot. We have eaten at The Melting Pot many times in the past. After tonight's experience we will never go back. It is expensive to eat there but they have drastically reduced the portions and we definitely will not return. The service has diminished as much as the portion size. We never got our water or iced tea refilled.

Humboldt, Iowa
“Great food, unique experience”
Reviewed 3 February 2013

It has been several years since we have dined at a Melting Pot, and we were not disappointed. One thing that has improved is that each person dining can choose their own entree for the 4 course meal. The service was great, but expect a meal to last between 2-3 hours if you do all 4 courses (I would recommend this to get the full experience).

Cheltenham
“Great food and atmosphere!”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Love this place but it is pretty expensive especially if you have a pre-meal cocktail and a bottle of wine with dinner. This makes it a special occasion place only. Shame.

• Visited September 2011

Been to The Melting Pot? Share your experiences!