“Unique Concept, Below Average Food”
Review of The Melting Pot

The Melting Pot
Ranked #135 of 202 Restaurants in Addison
Price range: US$50 - US$50
Cuisines: Swiss
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Landmark & Quorum
Description: Fantastic Fondue restaraunt!!
Reviewed 8 September 2013

The concept is unique, but the food is just okay. I didn't feel too great after eating there and my hair and clothes smelled like smoke. The booth we were seemed a little dirty and the decor is dark and outdated. Maybe to hide something?? It's also overpriced. I would not return.

1  Thank L S

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Having had fondue in Switzerland and being one of my favorite dishes, I was excited to spend date night here. We went during a week night. The restaurant is on a first floor of a strip mall with other establishments. They do not make it too evident how to access but you get the idea looking for stairwells. There was no one in the bar area and we did not have reservations. It was fairly obvious upon arrival that they were not needed. We were greeted by the Hostess who seemed to be "not all there". Despite the totally empty reception area she asked for our full name!? I have been to many restaurants and have never been asked that above all in an empty establishment and having advised that we did not have a reservation. We were still told to wait so we went to the empty bar. The bartender took some time to come out, I had a sangria (excellent by the way) and Hubby had a beer. It was still happy hour and the bar tender, once he got there, was really delightful. While having our drinks, the hostess called us twice to follow her to the table only to inform us, twice, to wait. Did I mention that this area was empty? The bartender told us that because of the type of meal that there had to be enough servers to attend which is fine but "get your act together" .Finally, we got to our table. We were joking with the server that you would actually need a power point presentation to understand the menu. It is incomprehensible without the explanation and it is based on the number of courses and content... We took the 4 course meal. This is a fondue restaurant so in the middle of the table there is a burner where they set the fondue pot. Needless to say this is no place for kids. We started off with the Swiss fondue. Very close to the real thing! Followed by a small salad and then the meat/fish fondue. My husband had only meat fondue I had a combination of meat, chicken and shrimp. In the pot you can choose oil or different types of broth. We opted for the oil. They use canola oil. Canola oil has a disagreeable smell while cooking above all at a high temperature... sunflower does not. The chunks of meat , poultry and fish are served seasoned on a platter and accompanied by different sauces. These were not too creative: The usual sweet and sour, cream and herbs, etc. and then 2 batters (this I had not seen before and I did take the idea for home). The tempura was excellent. But there was a green batter that was too sweet and that we did not touch. The dessert fondue was Hershey"s dark chocolate served with marshmallows, pieces of pound cake, strawberries, etc. Hershey chocolate is ok but there are other chocolates which are a better choice for fondue.. Our service was very good and the Manager came by to see how everything was towards the end of the meal. The quality was good but far from great. The portions are "small New York" to give you an example the salad (small side size) is priced at $8.00 on its own, a little pricey for tossed greens. With the 4 course you will be far from hungry but the menu pricing and the portions just did not seem to line up, not overall but as items...I enjoyed the extended meal and the ambiance. In this sense the restaurant is expensive but not overpriced. The food is ok but far from high quality. This is an "out of the ordinary" night out. and I would recommend it as such. As far as I am concerned once is enough.

1  Thank Opentravels
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My wife and I decided this would make an excellent place to celebrate our anniversary, and it was. The food is good, my bad rating comes from the terrible service. First, I have never been to The Melting Pot and told the waitress. I think that's important for a place like this. She didn't seem to care, which is never good. Luckily, I could kind of tell what would be a good fit for us. I was right. The waitress came by multiple times and mentioned my water was out, said she would fill it, and never did. The whole meal I had no water. She was rude and a hollow. It wasn't just the water, it was her lack of caring that we didn't really know what we were doing, and the water. I will not ever go back to this location, I will, however, go back to another Melting Pot location.

Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

My wife and I visited for her 40th birthday. While the atmosphere was romantic and we enjoyed the experience overall, it took almost an hour to be seated, even with reservations. Once we were, the service was subpar. We've been to many nice restaurants. What most have in common is service that makes you feel like your table is the most important in the building. At The Melting Pot, we felt unimportant, even forgotten at times.

Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I decided to celebrate Valentines Day early in hopes of not having to have long waits and frustration because of all the customers that go to restaurants on Valentines day. So we celebrated the weekend before. The Melting Pot in Addison has always been my favorite place to go until now. Prior visits were fantastic, this last visit was HORRIBLE!! It was so bad that my boyfriend went on the website and placed a one to two page email to them. That was a week ago and we still have not been acknowledged or apologized to. So my boyfriend now is sending the letter to corporate. My boyfriend and I do not like to make a scene so we did not express our dissatisfaction at the time. The whole night was a disaster so I will just list the top things that went wrong. My boyfriend called in advance to make reservations for a Saturday night. The first time he called, he got a voice mail so he left a voice mail....He never got a call back. Four hours later he calls back, a lady answered and she tells him we can make a reservation for 8:15 p.m. Then she puts him on hold, after being on hold for a good four minutes a man answers and says how can i help you? Then my boyfriend explains what happened, then the man puts him on hold. Then he comes back on to take the reservation. We arrive about 5 min early (We would have been there earlier but it took is 25 min to valet park in their parking lot). checked in with reservation staff then went to get a drink in the bar. An hour later!!!!! We were seated! If I make reservations some where I should be seated within fifteen minutes of my reservation. The drinks at the bar were good but very crowded since they were very busy that night. After being seated for about ten minutes, the waitress finally came over. She sat a tray of dirty dishes right in front of us with lobster carcass and such while she takes our order. We asked a question about the cheddar bacon cheese that was on the valentines menu was available for the other meals. She said it was not. When she came back my boyfriend asked if the special that was on the small card/menu was only available with the Valentines menu since it had the cheddar bacon cheese in it. She said we could get that on the normal menu items. This caused a lot of confusion. The waitress was not as professional or friendly as the ones we had in the past. She almost sounded like a robot spouting out only what she learned in training and talking very fast like she was always in a hurry or being over worked. When I was ready for another drink I could not get it for quite some time because our waitress was no where to be seen. Before she brought our salads my boyfriend was finally able to wave her over. I then ordered a bottle of wine. She brings our salads out next, then a little while later she brings the cooking pot, with still no wine. So my boyfriend asks about it. We knew she forgot about it but told us the bar was very busy. Then we waited another 20 min before getting it!! After dinner it took her about ten minutes to pick up the check. At this point it was late and it had gotten slower in the restaurant. While waiting for the check my boyfriend gets up to use the restroom. When he went in there was a male host in the men's room who had actually seated us earlier with his foot propping open the door while he was leaning over the sink. He kept the door slightly propped open as my boyfriend goes to the urinal thinking for sure he would shut the door all the way out of respect. While using the urinal, a younger lady hostess walks in!!!!! She then notices my boyfriend at the urinal. She stares for a second then leaves. My boyfriend asks the male hostess if the bathroom was closed or something or if this in fact was the men's bathroom. He smarted off and said no its open and the ladies room does not have urinals. So he was rude to my boyfriend after the embarrassment of what just happened to him at a supposedly up scale restaurant. My boyfriend then comes back to the table to tell me what happened. So as we are sitting there in the next area the woman hostess who walked in on my boyfriend is cleaning with another employee and we hear them whispering and giggling about what just happened to my boyfriend!!!!! We are very upset at this point. Although we still tip at 20% and continue to bite our tongues and be nice. I never write this long of a review but this was a horrible experience we will never be back to this location. And now that no one from management with this restaurant has contacted us to apologize, we will never be back to this chain or any other melting pot in the US. It almost seems like someone diff is running this location after this horrible experience when past experiences were amazing. We will never be back here and we hope that anyone else who goes here never has to go through what we did.

Been to The Melting Pot? Share your experiences!