“Outstanding”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Addison Galleria
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Addison
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The Hawthorn Addison is a very nice place to stay. Very close to many fine restaurants . . The staff is awesome, very efficient and knowledgeable. I had a queen suite. Very roomy with a full fridge and small kitchen. Large flat screen tv free wifi that actually works. My room was clean and well stocked.
I will stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 July 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This was the first time in Addison, Texas. I was a workshop speaker for the #DFW Rocks Social Media conference June 29-30. Upon our arrival on Saturday, June 28, 2014, the double bed room on the 3rd floor had a jammed door, and when we finally got in, the room had a terrible smell.
It appeared clean, but the room smelled pretty bad, like an animal had died in there. The gentleman who was checking us in was horrified and so kind that he offered single rooms for me and the other person (who was the one that booked the room). I was happy about the arrangement and liked my room a lot (room 107).
Since I am new to Texas, I wasn't aware that the air conditioning system would run all night. I was concerned about the cleanliness of the vents - sometimes companies "forget" to clean out the vents and replace the filters. If you don't replace the filters, it is going to cause health issue to people, mainly common cold. Researchers at the Harvard University of Public Health have found that the carbon dioxide content of the air inside an air conditioned building INCREASES, more and more rhinoviruses survive in the air. CLEAN Filters admit more oxygen from outdoors to fight the virus, while DIRTY FILTERS provide just enough of an air barrier to keep the virus healthy and infectious.
Repeated exposure to cold air after coming in from severe heat is not the cause of summer colds (quoted by Dr. Ujwala Kaza at New York University to the New York Times). Summer colds are caused by colds viruses, just as winter colds. Air conditioning makes infection more likely.
Some of these air conditioning health concerns are a direct result of built up pollen, fungi, and bacteria in the air conditioning system. These issues can trigger Asthma attacks; eye, nose, and throat irritation; and flu-like illnesses. Proper air conditioner maintenance can reduce the risk of air conditioning health concerns.

So with the above mentioned facts - I started getting slight asthma issues, my throat, nose and chest started becoming irritated, and I left with a massive sinus infection, a chest cold, and nagging cough WHEN I had arrived with high energy, focused, and clean bill of health. I NEVER get sick. But here I was leaving the place sick, that I missed most of the conference on Monday, June 30. I was dizzy and felt ill all day.

I am hoping that the owner of this property will take action to ensure the airconditioning system is repaired, the filters replaced, because that might explain the horrible ordors in most of the rooms.

I thought perhaps the cleaning service was using a product that cleans and disinfects BUT LEAVES AN ODOR that smells UNCLEAN. I suggested to the front desk manager to use Mrs. Meyers Clean Day products, not only do they clean and disinfect, but the place will smell heavenly and bring up people's moods.

MrsMeyers.com is affordable, and I recommend getting the LemonVerbena or Basil.

In the mean time I am home recovering from a massive cold, cough, sinus infection and am certain that it started at this hotel.

I want to reiterate that this hotel is NOT a bad place to stay at - it is in a prime location close to the Addison Conference center, across the street from amazing restaurants, and close to other restaurants and cafes. I think no matter how clean a place is, if it has an odor, then you need to investigate where it is coming from - perhaps it is time to replace all carpeting, check for mold, and clean out the filters.
No amount of cleaning can make a person healthy. I spent 4 days and 3 nights inhaling something that got me deathly ill. The owners of this property NEED TO TAKE ACTION NOW.

I will never stay here again - and will pay for a 4-5 star hotel if I happen to be in Addison, Texas. I just hope that this review will be taken seriously. If we don't take care for our own health, we will reduce the quality of our life and suffer consequences which is not worth it. This hotel does not need to be sued for exposing people to upper respiratory illnesses because they tried to save a few dollars.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ana Lucia N
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We booked a room at this HS because we wanted to be close to Kaboom Town, the huge fire works display on July 4 in Addison, and didn't want to fight the clogged traffic afterwards. The rates for that night were raised about $30 more than other nights. The location was great. The front desk staff when we arrived was great. That's about all the positive things I could say about this facility. We took the elevator up to the third floor. The interior of the elevator looks like what might be expected for a freight elevator...dirty and worn. We entered our room to find the closet door practically hanging off. There were stains on the carpet. The molding where the carpet met the linoleum in the kitchen area was worn through. And then, to let a little light into the room, I swung the drapes open to find that our room faced a brick wall that was not more than a hands reach ( ok, a slight exaggeration) from our window. I travel a lot and I've stayed in plenty of places where the view was less than desirable, but this was the first place where I thought I was in a maximum security prison!!

Room Tip: Room 328 faces the wall and the closet door may not yet be fixed! Be sure to ask what view you'...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rootie429
SafeHeaven, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Addison Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Worn Out,

Hawthorn Suites underwent a renovation in 2012 and strives to keep every suite clean and refreshed for each new guest. You are so right. A guest should never enter a hotel room that does not meet their expectations!
Did you ask for a different room or bring your concerns to a manger while you were with us? This is always appreciated so we can correct the problem and address your concerns immediately. Please let us know how we can make it up to you. We want you back and we want you to refer your friends and family. Kaboom Town was a great show! We are glad your stay went out with a bang at least. We sincerely appreciate your feedback as it helps us continue to strive for excellence in quality and service. We want to continue to be the best value with friendly service in Addison.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brittny B
SafeHeaven, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Addison Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Overall the facility was fair. The room (RM119) bathroom ceiling was stained and had the appearance of mold beginning to form. No one asked how my stay was at checkout.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear “June Stay 2014”

First of all, thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. And of course, it is a cardinal rule: “Always ask the guest how his/her stay is/was.” Ideally, we would like to address any issues or disappointment with your experience at the Hawthorn Addison in the very beginning so that your stay is as pleasant and restful as you would like.

Next time you are in Addison and need a home away from home, contact me at the hotel at: (972) 386-4800 and I will arrange your stay personally.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

Also consider these accommodations in or near Addison
HYATT house Dallas/Addison
Best Western Plus Addison Galleria Hotel
SpringHill Suites Dallas Addison/Quorum Drive
La Quinta Inn & Suites Dallas Addison Galleria
Home2 Suites by Hilton Dallas Addison
Radisson Hotel Dallas North-Addison

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Addison Galleria? Share your experiences!