“Better Choices in Area - Inquisition for an extra towel? !?!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Dallas-Addison

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Dallas-Addison
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Addison
Houston, Texas
“Better Choices in Area - Inquisition for an extra towel? !?!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

I stay in Addison from time to time during business trips to the area. I tend to stay at the Hilton properties in the area, but given the fact that I was trying to earn some Priority Club bonus points (they are my second loyalty target), I decided to choose this location. I don’t think I will bother with this location ever again. The other options in the area are a much better. I would give this location a 3 bubble rating but the towel and pillow issues bump it down.

The hotel is very close to many dining options and I like the fact that it is within two miles of a local location for the gym I use at home. Make sure and hit Snuffers if you want awesome cheese fries!

This hotel on a back street off the main drag, so I did not have any issues with noise. Parking is free and I felt safe walking around. They have a sign up in some of the parking spots that warn of a flood zone – how about fixing the drainage issue? On first entering the lobby, I thought the breakfast room would be too small, but alas there were always tables in the morning. Even for my late arrival the hotel had cookies available.

Check in was quick and easy, No recognition of my Priority Club Platinum Status but no worries there.

My room was a nice enough King room with microwave and fridge and wetbar. The room also had small couch. The receptionist let me know that I was the first person to sleep in the new bed in this room! I thought cool, it should be a comfy night! They have nice HDTV’s though I did not check out the channels. Well, they must have bought the cheapest mattresses available. So hard, you could feel the support springs, and just plain uncomfortable. That is not something I frequently say….and I stay in a lot of hotels. Also the pillows obviously were not replaced as they were lumpy and flat. No discernable difference between the soft and firm pillows. The bed alone is enough to make me hesitate on staying at this location.

Since we had two people in the room, and wanted to go to a local gym first thing in the morning I went down and asked for an extra towel, so that we could have two towels per person. The way the night clerk treated me you would have thought I was trying to pull off the great towel caper of 2013! In all the years I have been traveling and hundreds of hotels I have stayed in this was a first. Come on is it that unreasonable to ask for two towels per person so that we can dry off from the pool at the gym and then use a fresh towel to shower? “Why do you need another towel” / “How many people are in the room” / “What room number” / “What time did you check in”  At which point I promptly asked if there is a problem with getting another towel???? I was told management wants to make sure extra people are not staying in the room for free. Well, two towels per person is not odd, come on! I would not have thought it odd to ask for a room number, I get that, but the other questions unacceptable. I also asked for some shampoo since the housekeepers did not put any in our room. I was given conditioner and mouthwash. Back down I go to correct their mistake, politely said they gave us conditioner and was told “No its shampoo” - Come on, read the bottle! (It was not combination shampoo conditioner – the clerk corrected the issue)

The other little issues I am about to bring up would probably not have even bothered me, had it not been for the tone set by “towel enforcer”. Bedside table lamps (both of them) were not plugged in neither was the bedside phone. Curtains do not go to the floor, thus do not block out any morning light, no sleeping in – wake up! No shampoo in room. Housekeepers were very noisy on the floors, playing music in rooms as they cleaned them. Not conducive to sleeping in. If they want music use headphones.

To the hotels credit, they still deliver USA Today directly to the room. Nice touch. I don’t usually read newspapers at home but enjoy having that paper available at the hotel in the morning without having to go downstairs. My bill was under the door in the morning which is always appreciated.

The climate control seemed to work well, a tad noisy but not bad. You are able to leave the AC blower on for white noise.

The breakfast was typical Holiday Inn Express – instant make your own pancakes, hot premade cheese omelets, biscuits, gravy, sausage links, muffins, cinnamon rolls, breads, cereals, juice, milk. A nice touch was the premade sausage egg and cheese sandwiches. The breakfast room though small seemed to always have space available and the food appeared to be well stocked. Somehow though the breakfast was lacking compared to other Holiday Inn Expresses, something just seemed off. Maybe I am just used to the Hampton Breakfasts now. Anyways, it was all edible and I have no complaints on the food. They also had grab and go bags which is a nice touch.

There is a guest self-serve laundry available. They have small sized business center downstairs. High Speed Internet connection was nice. The inside of the hotel was dated (seems to have been a Country Inn and Suites in a past lice) but clean and nice looking with a nice enough lobby. They had a small (even for a limited service brand) but clean exercise room as well as a rather nice outdoor pool.

I can’t say I will stay here in the future unless I REALLY need a stay at a IHG / Priority Club property and find a dirt cheap price. I had a reservation for this location for three nights later, I am changing that to another property.

Room Tip: Far Far away from the housekeeping rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Michelle D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Dallas-Addison, responded to this review, 17 May 2013
I am sorry that you had a negative experience in regards to the pool towels. We try to keep track of our inventory especially this time of year with the pool opening and so many of our guests enjoying our newly renovated pool! It really is beautiful poolside! Unfortunately our brand new mattresses might be hit or miss depending on everyones personal preference. I myself love the new Serta beds for me they are amazing! Having the wetbar area, microwaves and mini fridges in the rooms is really helpful. Especially because we are in restaurant row and you will definately need those little gems for your delicious leftovers! The laundry facility has the new frontloader and is handy for the families we get on the weekends.Laundry will pile up, lol! The breakfast has been upgraded and we offer more than alot of express's with our sausage,egg and cheese biscuits.The pancake machine is a great new add as well and only an IHG thing. Our eggs are not powdered and the omellettes, scrambled and western are super tastey. The guests love them! Us too! Our to go bags are very helpful for our on the go families and business travelers.Unfortunately, Hampton does not offer any of those items on their breakfast.The parking area flood zone as you called it is just another way we try to help our guests from having any issues during their stay. We have that sign there as a precaution in case the city rainwater overflows into our lot. There isn't a drainage issue but sometimes in the spring with the rain the water can get a little higher than normal in that area of the lot. We always offer Otis Spunkmeyer cookies Monday- Thursday at 3pm and they are amazingly good. The reason your PC status may not have been recognized is because when you book through travelocity you get a discounted rate in exchange for any rewards program points etc that you may be apart of, that includes Hilton. The next time you stay with is be sure to book through the hotel directly and we will make sure to add your PC status and get your points applied. Thank you for your review. We appreciate any feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

I paid cash for my two night stay, she ask for a credit card for incidentals, $20 for it, but she ran it for the two night stay instead. Said she made a mistake and would correct the problem, but still 5 days later its still there. I just called the hotel to ask about it and she was very unpleasant and uncaring, she was hard to talk with. Felt as if she thought she was right and i was wasting her time. I did love my room and the location, but not sure if it was worth it, to be talk down to.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Michelle D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Dallas-Addison, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
I am sorry to hear that you had a billing issue during your stay. Unfortunately the card you used to reserve the room is authorized on your arrival if we aren't aware you are paying another way. We generally only authorize your credit card for your stay, it's not an actual charge and it is released at check out. If it is a debit card it acts the same as cash and takes 3-5 days after check-out to be refunded back. We have a sign at the front desk explaining this. Also, we appreciate your feedback on the hotel in general. We try our best to improve the guest experience so we appreciate your feedback. Thank you!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013 via mobile

Felt clean. Very nice lobby. A lot of restaurants within walking distance. Went for a run in the neighborhood to the west - felt very safe. Standard food for breakfast but not a lot of fruit. Good place. I'd stay here again

• Stayed April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I appreciate your feedback, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again.
Thank you!
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013 via mobile

Started off in a room where some other guest had been in and left, still had a bag in it. The staff responded quickly and moved us to another room. Everything was great after that. Location was close to a lot of things, although they are doing construction on the interstate which caused some slight delays. Rooms were very nice.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Michelle D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Dallas-Addison, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Thank you for your feedback we hope to see you again soon!
Overland Park, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

Booked 2 nights through Hotwire - got a great price. Great check-in and check out experience. Front Desk very friendly and professional. Provided direction to local attraction and advice on where to park. Breakfast was good, filled you up to get you going for the day. rooms were quiet, modern, comfortable and clean. Had no problems except the hallway light didn't work, but it really wasn't needed. Reported it upon checkout. Everything else that I used (TV, showers), worked great.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms, 3rd floow was perfect. Skip trip through the lobby, park in the back or side, use room...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I appreciate you taking the time to review us. I hope to see you again! Thank you!
Austin, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

We booked 2 nights for a quick Dallas getaway and used Hotwire. We were a wee bit skeptical, but we had a wonderful stay. We were in the area mainly to vist museums and for shopping. This hotel provided a nice base for our family of 3. I would gladly stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
I appreciate your feedback. Please come see us again! Thank you!
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013 via mobile

Hotel dated but the management provided good services with free snacks and drinks
In breakfast area each evening Monday through Thursday which I was not told at check in.
The problem I had was with an unpleasant and uncaring lady that checked me in.
She put me in a handicap room when I realized it and asked to moved, she would do nothing about nor did
She care.

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Dallas-Addison, responded to this review, 8 February 2013
Dear L M,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our service. My apologies for your disappointment with the condition of our hotel as well as the service you received from our staff. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Karen C