“Awesome!”

Cuisines: Barbecue, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed 30 June 2014

While researching online for things to do while I visited San Antonio I came across this place and decided I needed to go here for sure.
I am so glad that I did! The food was some of the best BBQ I have ever had. Get the Turkey and brisket! You can thank me latter.
The staff was great. Very friendly and outgoing. The guy that was slicing the meats, Seth was his name I believe, gave us suggestions as far as what to try. And they were spot on! So glad we listened to them.
He also told us about other things to do and places to see while we were in town.
I just loved the atmosphere of this place and plan on returning again on my next visit to San Antonio!
The only downfall was that their gift shop was closed. So I guess next trip I will have to make sure to go when that part is open! And even with that I still give them 4 Stars!!! :)

Reviewed 30 June 2014

First time to this BBQ place on 1604 going around San Antonio. We don't consider ourselves experts at this but seeming what looked like many locals there, we had to try it. The brisket was very good, the sausage was spiced up well enough for those in our group that wanted spicy, the extras were varied and good...even the desserts. We will return when going by here again.

1  Thank Joefredperez
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Being from NC, BBQ brisket is not available everywhere so I tend to get it when it is available. Had brisket in Austin earlier this week and it did not come close in comparison. The brisket was moist and very tasty. The baby back ribs were a little tough but outstanding flavor. Hot and regular sauce for all the meats was perfect. The best part of the meal was the pecan cobbler. We tried both the pecan and peach. I only wish I could take a large portion of the peach on the plane ride home. Service was great as we moved quickly through the line on a busy Saturday night. Sweet tea was great. Local customers were very friendly to us "newbies". Big party going on in the back with a live band on stage. Can't wait to make it back to South Texas. This is a MUST place to eat.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Recently went there on a recommendation that BBQ was tasty and tender. We had ribs and pork along with two cobbler desserts. The ribs were just ok and not really tender and the pork was good but with a lot of fat and grease. Setting is no frills and you eat off of meat wrapping paper which is fine. We asked for water and were told you can buy bottled water or other drinks but no free drinking water available. This was a bit of a shock and not what you expect in restaurants.

The dessert cobblers were good and served in Styrofoam cups. Considering the price, quality of the meats and lack of water we rate the overall experience as disappointing and will probably not bother to return as there are many other good choices in the San Antonio area. Texas Pride is a few miles south of I10 and the drive out of our way did not result in the experience we expected. We were there in the early evening and perhaps it was just leftover food from the lunch period and ahead of more fresh items for the evening meal.

1  Thank Zep-Elee
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Great atmosphere but the food was not worth bragging about. I got the two meat plate with ribs and pork tenderloin. The ribs were dry and salty, and the leftover scraps of pork tenderloin were extremely salty. When I mean scraps that is what was put on my plate, I figured they would have pulled out a fresh piece of pork and not collect pieces from the bottom of the pan! Coleslaw and Mac & cheese were average and the fresh cut fries were greasy and soggy as if they were cooked in old cold oil. Reviews from my wife and another couple, the cheesy potatoes were really "garlic" potatoes and the beans lacked flavor! However, they did agree the brisket was decent and the cobblers were very good. Maybe they should change the name to Texas Pride Desserts, because the BBQ missed the mark.

1  Thank Rodger R
TXPrideBBQ, Owner at Texas Pride Barbecue, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

TexRSR – Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We truly value our customers’ opinions and apologize that your food was not satisfactory. We are glad that you enjoyed the brisket and cobblers, but we pride ourselves our barbeque and aim for full customer satisfaction on all of the food we serve. We would like to discuss this matter with you further. Please contact Tony Talanco at your earliest convenience, (210) 649-3730.