“Wow!”

Fort Griffin General Merchandise
Ranked #3 of 10 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We stopped here on the way through town. I saw some of the reviews so we thought we would try it. I was pretty skeptical once we stopped as we weren't sure it was actually the right place. Once inside we noticed a great atmosphete. Very quaint family run restaurant. My wife and I ordered the filets. Being a meat and potatoes guy I was not sure what really to expect. Once we got our steaks my wife and I both were blown away. Probably one of the top 2 steaks I have ever eaten. Being from Dallas that is saying a lot. I wish I would have tried the prime rib given how good the filet was. I would highly recommend stopping here to eat. it was a little pricey but worth the money. The owner sat and talked with us for a few minutes. Very good place to stop.

1  Thank jerod w
There are newer reviews for Fort Griffin General Merchandise

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Look for the 'Beehive Saloon' sign as you won't want to miss enjoying the local color and flavor of Shackelford County in the heart of midwest Texas.
It was ranked the 4th best steakhouse in Texas a few years ago by Texas Monthly magazine and still lives up to that most auspicious rating.
In case you're not stopping in Albany, try its sister saloon in Abilene, though don't be misled by its moniker. They cater to families, authentic cowboys and tourists alike and the service was most attentive.

Reviewed 22 June 2013

Arriving at the restaurant was a little awkward. Wasn't sure which door was the way in. Walked in the door and you're in the middle of the dining room. Someone noticed our confusion and invited us in. We were in town for the Fort Griffin Fandangle and there was a wait for tables. Our name was added to the list and we sat down at the bar to wait our turn. The owner was busy making sure that everyone was welcomed. He also mentioned that our table would be ready any minute. The wait was about 45 minutes. As busy as they were, it wasn't unexpected. It was getting close to show time and we were asked if we would mind another couple joining us at our large table. The company was a treat and it was great to meet others. It added to the experience. The owner took the order and described the specials of the day. They had deep fried cauliflower on the menu as an appetizer. I had to have it. Expecting something off the food service truck, I was delighted to find out that it was hand cut and battered in house. It was a decadent treat. We split an order of the special. Bacon wrapped pork medallions served with broccolini and mashed sweet potatoes with bacon. The serving was large enough for three to share. I'm eager to go back to try the CFS and the steaks that our table mate raved about. I just have to figure how I can justify a three hour drive.

Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

The prime rib was the hugest we have ever seen and cooked to perfection. The girls split one and are the whole thing. It was a weekend so they have specials then. Add for the lamb and it was wonderful. I had the Chickwn fried steak. I was use and tender and tasty. If you have to choose we think he prime rib was just the best of the beat. Stop and eat! We ate the appetizers, homemade bread, huge plates of food and a dessert we never heard of ... Soapapilla cake for $100.00. They had cheaper meals and he hamburgers liked incredible. Schools of kids and parents were there traveling to games, couples having dinner out, an folks who drove hours to eat there. Definitely a stop!

Reviewed 13 March 2012

We made a small detour to have lunch here while driving through the area. We weren't very hungry, but I had to try the chicken fried steak while the other half had a salad. The size of the cfs was amazing. I had to look underneath it to find the sides of corn and sliced potatoes. It was tender and tasty leading me to have more than I should have. The sides were also good as the salad was reported to be. Service was a bit sketchy, but nothing to complain about. All in all, this is a surprisingly good restaurant for a town the size of Albany.