“Somewhat Disappointing..”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Alice
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Somewhat Disappointing..”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

The maids and most of the staff were terrific..The room was clean. That's where the positive part pretty much ends. The bed was very uncomfortable and I barely slept. I got mini naps here and there throughout the night and that was it. If I had to guess, the mattress is an old. cheap Serta. The springs were noisy and creaking and obviously this room needed a new mattress. The breakfast was pretty bad overall. The waffles were inedible. I threw mine away. The biscuit and gravy looked pretty nasty. I did not try the scrambled egg. They did have bagels and a couple of small muffins out which I did not try. They seemed to be a little stingy with the butter - putting only small amounts of carry out butter out at a time. The coffee and sausage were probably the only 2 good things for bfast I had. The pool was closed and they has signs up saying "please excuse our dust for remodeling." Though I saw no evidence of a remodel. When I first arrived, there was no remote for the TV in the room. The TV is very old and generic and often does not get good reception. TV channels seem more limited compared to other hotels in the area in the same price range. I did not try the free wifi since there were so many complaints that the wifi did not work in the rooms. I heard several long term patrons in the breakfast area complaining about their TV's and wifi (lack thereof) and the price of the room all considered...

I would not stay here again unless they changed the mattresses, updated with new TV's and more channels, get an actual wifi signal in the room..get a better quality breakfast and stop skimping on the little things @ breakfast. Finally, the lady refreshing the bfast foods was very very pleasant..Not her fault management wants to skimp. I left a good tip for my maid service as well since they did a great job and always had a smile for me.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the highway and on the 2nd or 3rd floor. Dogs are usually all put on 1st fl...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I was in Alice for business and stayed at this location. Overall I enjoyed my experience. The staff was friendly and my room was clean. I had no problems and would definitely stay there again. If you are planning on staying in Alice, I recommend this hotel!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
lq6252gm, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Alice, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Thank You for staying with us. We are glad that you enjoyed our hospitality. Please come back and stay with us.We are raising our standards bar and will continue to be number ONE on trip advisors in Alice. Happy Holidays!
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed 9 November 2013

The rooms were fine, however there was no cell phone service or internet in the room. I had to find an ethernet cord to get online, and even then the speed would not not let me access Netflix.
I had to go outside to use my cell phone. I stayed here for a month and for the price, this was unacceptable as much of my work relies on cell and internet.

Room Tip: Get a room close to an entrance so you can get outside to use your cell phone.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JAK817
James M, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Alice, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Hello, Sorry to note that you did not like certain things.The new management just took over 15 days ago. We are revamping the whole operation to make your stay more enjoyable. Please bear with us. Thanks.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I traveled with 8 members of my family. We stayed in 4 rooms. Three were great. But 1 was missing a coffee-pot, desk chair and regular chair. We did not notify the office as we were only there 1 night. But I am sure the staff would of replaced them if we had complained. As they were very helpful to place us all on the same floor and area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

James M, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Alice, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Thank YOU for your kind words we greatly appreciate it.
Texas
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed two nights at this La Quinta in Alice and found it to be a great place. We were traveling with an elderly dog and unfortunately we were assigned a second floor room. It all turned out okay, but I think this was the first time my dog had ever ridden in an elevator!
The hotel was spotless, the beds comfortable and the breakfast offered a huge variety of food, both hot and cold. During the day, a chilled flavored water, cookies and fruit were available at the front desk.
The only suggestion I would have for management would be to purchase some type of shade umbrellas for the pool. Overall, a very good stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank wanderinggreek
James M, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Alice, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. I'm pleased to read that you had a wonderful stay! I'm glad it worked out for your pet to use the elevator. You can also request first floor when making reservations and we will do our best to fulfill that request if possible. Thank you for your suggestion regarding umbrellas. I believe it may be time to look into getting some new ones! We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in town!
Puerto Penasco, Mexico
Reviewed 2 September 2013

After checking out of the La Quinta, I am rethinking my review. The thermostat on the wall in our room never worked. We let the front desk know the first night and it was never fixed while we were there. The air conditioner would only cool the room if we turned it on high on the actual unit under the window. We called the front desk the second evening and let them know this. She said she would send maintenance. Maintenance never came and she called back and offered another room, but we were already totally unpacked and stayed put. When I checked out I let the front desk clerk (small brunette) know we had constant AC issues and she never said a "I'm sorry" "What can I do" or anything. She just gave me my bill and I was on my way. I think training is needed for the front desk staff as their skills are less than acceptable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bk2ca
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. Some of our A/C units are controlled by a therostat on the wall. Some are controlled at the unit itself. This is due to an upgrade that has been done to some of the older units, not a mechanical failure. I apologize for any confusion this may have caused. The front desk agent was supposed to inform you of this, offer a room exchange if it was an inconvenience to you and call me if the problem was not resolved. Apparently she thought it was when you told her it was working at the unit itself and that you did not want to move. She is very sorry that she misunderstood the situation. It is our hope that you will come stay with us again soon so that we will have an opportunity to provide you with an outstanding stay!
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

This is a very nice La Quinta and being on the south side of town not a bad place to stay when going to the coast. We tried to use our LaQuinta points in Corpus, but they were sold out. The rooms are clean and spacious. We had a king plus which may be bigger than some. The front desk clerk was friendly and accommodating. The only glitch in the stay has been a fire alarm going off just after we went to sleep. It was a false alarm. When we called the front desk we were told " this just happens from time to time." Perhaps the hotel should get this fixed so it doesn't happen from time to time unless there is a drill or a real fire! We stay in La Quintas when we take a road trip because most that are new or have been updated are very nice and clean.

Stayed August 2013
James M, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Alice, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad that you had a great stay with us! My apologies for the fire alarm. A technician has already been here to check it out and we believe the problem has been solved. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alice
Hampton Inn - Alice
Kings Inn/Scottish Inn Alice
Alice Motor Inn
Alice Motor Inn
#8 of 8 in Alice

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Alice? Share your experiences!