“Big hotel services at a small price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Dallas Allen at the John Q. Hammons Center

Courtyard Dallas Allen at the John Q. Hammons Center
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Allen
Gillette Wyoming
“Big hotel services at a small price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

This is a surprisingly good hotel which seems to exemplify Marriott's makeover of its lower price brands. Very nice lobby (although one does not "stay" in a lobby), extremely spacious public spaces, convenient little restaurant (in a pinch) and coffee bar (nice). Paradise Bakery is a one minute walk away.
Rooms are reasonably priced, immaculate, and again, spacious, including a small but serviceable balcony outside a sliding glass door. Bathrooms are large and well-lit, with decent (but not high end) amenities. Housekeeping is efficient and unobtrusive.All in all, an excellent choice for that "neighborhood". Parking can be a bit of a problem, as the lot fills up, forcing guests to move to public (free) parking at an adjacent Events Center; still, not bad.
Only real detraction is, indeed, that Events Center. This can and does sometimes fill the hotel with excited young team members , sometimes with the attendant noise. Not too bad, but ask for a room far away from the elevator, and preferably on a higher floor, so noise from the gatherings in the lobby don't reverberate to your bed!

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors are quieter, and stay away from rooms near elevators!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jeremy M
CYALLENGM, General Manager at Courtyard Dallas Allen at the John Q. Hammons Center, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Thank you for writing a review regarding your stay in our hotel. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy several of the amenities within our hotel. Parking can be very tight on nights when the Allen Event Center has events. It is a great thing for those attending events as it is within walking distance but can be frustrating for those wanting a close parking space not attending an event. The great thing is that parking is free around the building as well as in the 3 story parking garage in front of our hotel.

On behalf of the entire hotel staff, we appreciate the opportunity to accommodate you on your visit to the Allen area.

Courtyard by Marriott Dallas/Allen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

This hotel is extremely clean and I couldn't ask for better customer service. The rooms are large and hotel is located in a good area for shopping and eating. You will not be disappointed if you decide to stay. On a scale of 1-10 I give 10+

Room Tip: You will be glad that you chose this hotel. Hotel decoration is beautiful.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CYALLENGM, General Manager at Courtyard Dallas Allen at the John Q. Hammons Center, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
WOW! We appreciate the 10+ review! The staff works very hard to maintain an exceptional facility for our guests. Our location is key with over 2 million square feet of shopping and entertainment within walking distance of our hotel. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Grand Cayman
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

The Courtyard Marriott in Allen is a good hotel, very clean with helpful staff. The Hotel is surrounded by large shopping centres and is next door to an indoor arena where the Texas Revolution play. There is also a driving range a short walk away. Whilst I was only in Allen for the weekend I could roughly gather that Allen Texas is made up of shopping centres and housing developments as everyone who lives there commutes into Dallas for work. So if you're in town to watch some arena football or want to go shopping then Allen probably has a lot to offer... otherwise... not so much.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CYALLENGM, General Manager at Courtyard Dallas Allen at the John Q. Hammons Center, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Thank you for staying with us while visiting the Allen area! Allen is a suburb located about 30 miles north of Dallas. Our hotel is surrounded by over 2 million square feet of shopping with several other attractions including Top Golf, the Hydrous Wake Park. Cabela's, the Allen Event Center and much more. The Allen Premium Outlets are the largest attraction within Allen. There are over 100 outlets all within walking distance of the hotel. I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy a game with the Texas Revolution, our indoor football team.

When visiting the area again, we will be more than happy to arrange for many attractions that can keep you occupied. We look forward to your future return.

Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

A excellent hotel, nice decor, good sized rooms, and good service. Wifi in rooms was very slow but you can not complain to much if it is free. Lots of hot water which always pleases me .... All together a good stay.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CYALLENGM, General Manager at Courtyard Dallas Allen at the John Q. Hammons Center, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at the hotel. Our hotel continues to try to improve our services and exceed our guests expectations. Thank you for commenting on the internet. I will check with our engineering department and service provider to make sure that other guests do not have a similar situation. On behalf of the entire staff, we look forward to taking care of you on your next visit to the Allen area.

Waco, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

We came up to Allen again to celebrate my son's birthday! Over all, I really do like this hotel and I noticed some improvements. Let me start by saying The Bistro's food has improved in my opinion. I have always had pleasant friendly smiles & greetings from all the staff. We always stay in a junior suite, so we have lots of room for guests that visit. The one issue that I found that has not improved since our last visit and gotten worse is the housekeeping. I left a $5 tip on my bed. This time they didn't come until 4:15 to clean the room. Ok, I understand staff is probably half and that's not the issue, though I was quiet embarrassed when we came back to the room and housekeeping had just gotten there and the room was a mess and we had company with us. So we sat at the table while we let her do her work. She only changed my bed sheets, took the trash out and took the dirty towels. She only left 2 towels in the bathroom which wasn't enough (we used 5 towels that day). She left and I was shocked that she didn't fold the sofa sleeper up or even straighten up the sheets. I went to catch her to ask her if she was finished and she said yes. I asked her to please fix the sofa bed back up for we were having other company coming in a couple of hrs. She only straightened up the sheets but didn't fold up the sofa bed. I didn't want to say anything else in front of my company, so I let it be. After my company left 1/2 hour later, I went into my bedroom and noticed a HUGE stain on the top sheet that was about 2 feet long and a rust color. I could see the sheet was washed but the stain was permanent. Also the sofa cushion seat was starting to rip apart at the seams, so the furniture needs to be recovered. The furniture is started to look a bit worn out now. Anyway, I went into the bathroom next, where I noticed we only had 2 towels for us and they were placed on the vanity, not hung up or on the stand under the vanity, so it was very messy looking. This to me was just laziness. The shower was not wiped down, nor the sink or toilet cleaned. I could tell because my son loves to play in the shower and I could see all the soap scrum that had dried on the glass and toothpaste was still in the sink. I know she didn't clean the toilet, because when she went in there she only had towels in her hand and she flushed the toilet and came out with nothing in her hands. This make me question, was the toilet cleaned before we even got there? The showers are getting mildew stains all over the shower tile floor & seating area. I then took my top sheet off the bed and went down stairs and spoke with the manager Kori. I showed her the stain on the sheet. She was very nice and apologized, however when I said I expected better service, especially when I left a $5.00 tip, she responded with "that won't even buy a hamburger". I was appalled at that remark thinking, my gosh, minimum wage is about $7 and giving $5 for a 15 to 20 minute cleaning service I think is a lot. I don't think our housekeeper was in the room more than 10 minutes. She then phoned me about 15 minutes later saying that she contacted the head of housekeeping and they were on their way up to finish cleaning. One hour later nobody had shown up. We were getting past our prep time for our guests, so I called down to cancel the cleaning service because our guests were on there way and so I had to clean up the room myself. Then the head of housekeeping came up personally and I told him and showed him all the things that I was disappointed in and how it looked. He agreed, apologized and gave us a free voucher for breakfast the next day. I really appreciated his extra step he did. I wasn't looking for anything in return but he was very polite and stated he would make sure in his future meetings to stress that these are basic cleaning duties that his staff knows to do. Over all I didn't appreciate the smart remark from the manager, when that was not necessary and disrespectful. The housekeeping needs to improve their service but the staff in the Bistro, front desk and anyone you pass by in the lobby always are friendly. Yes, I most likely will stay here one more time, but please make sure you leave the same amount of towels that were used, and don't put on stained sheets. If the stains don't come out then throw them away. Do a basic wipe down of the shower glass, clean the sink & toilet.

Room Tip: Only the lobby has wi-fi. You don't get good phone or internet signals in rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CYALLENGM, General Manager at Courtyard Dallas Allen at the John Q. Hammons Center, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Thank you for taking time to complete a review for our hotel. We appreciate you continuing to stay with us. On behalf of our entire hotel staff, please accept our apology for the cleaning issues that occurred during your stay. I have passed your comments on to our Executive Housekeeper and will share them with the entire staff so they are aware of your concerns. The hotel is in a constant state of change in order to meet our guest's needs. This situation will be corrected upon your return. I would also like to apologize for the comment that was made. I am sure that the comment was not meant to be insulting. Never the less, we always try to empathize with our guests, apologize and try to correct the situation.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated so we can continue to improve. Please contact me directly at the hotel if there is anything further that I can do to be of assistance.

Rogers, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

I have stayed here several times over the last year, both with my husband and with friends. Every front desk person I have interacted with has been very friendly and efficient. The beds are comfy. The rooms are quiet. I have noticed on the last couple of visits that the rooms seem to be getting a little shabby in some ways - wallpaper starting to peel at the corners, minor stuff like that. The rooms are mostly clean, with no glaring deficiencies in that area. Parking is kind of hard to find close to the hotel, and there is only entry through the main doors and one side door, even with a key. So if mobility is an issue, that would be something to consider. I haven't ever eaten at the little bistro or spent much time in the lobby, which seems very nice. Overall, a good place to spend a night or two.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CYALLENGM, General Manager at Courtyard Dallas Allen at the John Q. Hammons Center, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Thank you for continuing to return to our hotel. Your loyalty is greatly appreciated. Parking can be an issue around the building during busy times but across the street is a 3 story parking garage to help with this issue. Your comments regarding the rooms have been passed along to our Engineering and Housekeeping Departments. We want to continue to always make sure that all rooms are free from deficiencies to keep them in a "like new" state.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Little Rock, Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

We stayed in this hotel in February over President's day weekend. It was centrally located to what we wanted to do for the weekend in Dallas. The room was clean, the bed was soft, and the staff was nice. It is next to an ENORMOUS convention center that was having {wait for it} a convention. The hotel parking was constantly full due to the convention people so it was very difficult to park close by. It was convenient to several restaurants and shopping so overall it was an ok place to be.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CYALLENGM, General Manager at Courtyard Dallas Allen at the John Q. Hammons Center, responded to this review, 30 March 2013
I'm glad to hear you stayed with us over the President's Day weekend. Our hotel does have a 15,000 square foot convention center that can accommodate up to 600 for a banquet and 1,000 in a theater setting. Parking is located around the building and also available in front of the hotel in a 3 story parking garage. The great thing about parking is that it is free throughout the entire shopping complex.

We appreciate the opportunity to accommodate you over the holiday and look forward to your future return.

Courtyard by Marriott Dallas/Allen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Allen
Hampton Inn and Suites - Dallas Allen
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Allen North - Event Center
Homewood Suites Dallas/Allen
Sheraton McKinney Hotel
Sheraton McKinney Hotel
#2 of 16 in McKinney
Hilton Garden Inn Dallas/Allen
La Quinta Inn & Suites Allen at The Village

Been to Courtyard Dallas Allen at the John Q. Hammons Center? Share your experiences!