“tucked away retreat”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Allen North - Event Center
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Allen
“tucked away retreat”
Reviewed 1 January 2009

Quietly resting, almost hidden, behind restaurants, on Hwy 75 in Allen, Texas was a boutique style hotel with beautiful interiors and the richest looking buffet breakfast area that I've ever seen in a hotel. It even had overstuffed leather couches and a fireplace!
The marble floors and crown molding were exquisite!
My husband and I and my parents were visiting relatives in Allen, and I booked our 2 room suite through Priority Club to get extra points. Using the suite was cheaper than booking 2 separate rooms. However, all rooms and suites have only ONE bathroom.
Our suite was room 302. It's view was open fields, which to me is much better than looking at buildings. It had a king size bed in the main room. A small, separate bedroom was listed as a queen, but was only a full size bed. The pillowtop beds were very comfortable. Each area had its own flat screen tv and chest of drawers, but you had to retrieve the luggage rack from the front closet in the main room to put into the bedroom so you'd have a place to put your suitcase in there. It fit nicely in a snug corner by the bed.
The downsides to this suite--- there is no microwave, and there is no fan in the bathroom. There is a safe and small frig. When I complained that there was no microwave, I was told it is only in the junior suite and we were in a family suite. That made no sense since usually to be called a suite means that you have a frig AND microwave! However, the night manager was very apologetic and twice took me into the breakfast bar kitchenette designed to be used only by employees working the breakfast bar. I was then able to warm up food for my elderly parents who were too tired to go out to restaurants.
The hotel even had a wheel chair which we used several times for my dad, so he would not have to do as much walking since the suites are not located on the first floor.
The fitness center was nice and I was told that the hotel is only 2 years old. I would defintely stay here again.
One warning!!! The water in this part of Texas tastes horrible and smells, so I would recommend bringing your own bottles of water for drinking.

• Liked — The beauty of its interior and the hot breakfast buffet
  • Disliked — The maid had not left enough towels and wash cloths for 4 people and we had to ask for some twice.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
holiday205, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Allen North - Event Center, responded to this review, 5 March 2009
Dear PamFan,

Thank you so much for sending in such a great response from our hotel. We strive to be the best we can be and appreciate your feedback.

I printed this review for the Staff and they were in awe of how detailed it was and how much time you took to write it. Rest assure, we are working on the towel issue.

Hopefully, somewhere down the line, Allen will change the water supply. I agree with you on the taste!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
USA
Reviewed 15 December 2008

Stayed here while driving through for a thanksgiving trip in Texas. We were using someone's points, so Holiday Inn it was. Apparently this hotel is brand new...or at least seemed that way.

The rooms are very large, the bathroom was great with a jacuzzi garden tub, flat screen tv's, internet access was a breeze.

If you are passing through and looking for a place to stay....I would recommend the Holiday Inn Express in Allen.

• Liked — Quality of room
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
Dear Wolfgame,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on TripAdvisor about our hotel.

Yes, you are correct. The hotel is about 2 1/2 years old. Our 3rd birthday will be in June.

We take great pride in providing true Texas Hospitality each and every time to each and every guest.

We will see you back the next time you are in Allen area!
Cincinnati
Reviewed 30 September 2008

A very nice property. Room was very large, well appointed, comfortable, and clean. The main issue I had was noise. The highway was loud, too much space at the room door allowing hallway noise in, and even noise from the floor above. The free breakfast and internet are great. If the property had been built with proper sound insulation, it would be great.

Stayed September 2008
Dear Cinncitraveler,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. Feedback is always important to our success.

The next time you come to Allen area, please let us know and we will put you on the back side of the hotel where the noise is minimal.

The Satff and Management at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites
Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed 21 August 2008

My wife and I recently stayed at this hotel with my teenage daughters in order to go shopping at the nearby outlet mall. Overall, this is a nice, newer property that does many things right and is a very pleasant place to stay, but a few things keep it from being what it could be.

The first problem came with my reservation. As a Holiday Inn Priority Club member, I made my reservation on their web site and reserved a two-bedroom suite, described as having "one king bed, two queen beds, sleeper sofa, refrigerator and microwave". Of course I specified four guests. When I arrived, they had me booked into a regular king room with no sleeper sofa - in other words, one room that slept 2 people. I went to look at the room and knew it not only wasn't what I reserved, it wouldn't sleep all four of us unless my daughters slept on the floor! I went back to the desk (it was late), and fortunately another woman took over from the obviously inexperienced (and over-her-head) desk clerk who first insisted that that was the room I reserved. The other lady, the night manager perhaps, offered us a one-bedroom suite with a king and "queen" bed in a separate room and a sleeper sofa. I told her that I thought that would work, we just wanted a place to sleep at this point.

We went up to look at the room and it was nice enough, but the "bedroom" was very tiny and the "queen" bed was actually a double bed. In the main room where the king bed was, there was only one nightstand and bedside lamp and no clock radio, so my wife and I took the smaller bed, which had two nightstands, two lamps and a iPod-compatible clock radio. It slept ok, but was obviously not as nice as the king bed. There was no closet in the second room, but there was a wardrobe with hanging space in the main room. There were two (flat screen) TV's, one bathroom, a small fridge and no microwave. There was an A/C unit in both rooms, but they were both controlled by the same thermostat in the main room. A/C was powerful and effective, and fairly quiet, as was the whole room. Nice big desk with (wired) free internet access, and two phones (one on the desk, one next to the king bed - both in the same room - why?)

The room decor, as well as the overall ambiance of the hotel, was from the 30's and 40's, with many black-and-white photos of movie stars like Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe. The dining area was done in dark wood paneling with some overstuffed leather couches and chairs and a fireplace, very nice, but it was closed and dark outside of breakfast hours. In the guest room, the furniture was dark wood and looked period (not modern). The bath had a wooden vanity with open shelves and a marble top and looked very elegant. The shower surround, although plastic, was a very convincing soapstone tile look, with a curved shower bar, which is nice. The shower head looked large, but the spray was more or less normal sized (and the water pressure, on the third floor, was *extremely* poor).

A few more gripes: Even though we had booked for four people, we only had three sets of towels. This was not a problem as not everyone showered every day, but it not a good sign customer-service-wise. The bathroom amenities provided looked very cheesy, not at all what you would expect from the decor, with the bottles labeled 'clean', 'smooth', 'soften' or something like that - no name brand at all. I pictured them getting refilled daily from a 55-gallon drum. There was only one small towel bar, for four people, not even a normal towel rack - doesn't make sense. There were places on the vanity that could easily accommodate small towel bars for hand towels, but nothing. Also, no towel ring on the wall. The hair dryer was hung from a hook on the wall with the cord sort of looped over it - looked like a dorm room. No night light or vent fan. Nice large mirror though, and the open shelves in the vanity were quite handy, especially three females(!) sharing a bath.

There was a free breakfast, which we tried once. There was a decent selection, with the usual cold cereal, toast and bagels, warm cinnamon rolls, coffee and juice. There was also a small steam table with sausage patties and scrambled eggs, but the staff had a hard time keeping up with demand and there were a lot of people standing around waiting for more to be brought out. Overall, it was fine if you weren't in a big hurry.

The location is quite good, right on Hwy-75 just north of Plano. Nearby restaurants within walking distance included IHOP, Bennigans and On the Border, with a grocery right around the corner in a large shopping area. There are dozens of other restaurants within a 5-mile radius (mostly south), and the outlet mall was only two exits to the north, so very convenient for our purposes.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel if you get the right price - it is clean, fairly new and reasonably comfortable.

• Liked — Elegant atmosphere (for a motel), location
  • Disliked — Accomodations not as advertised, cheesy amenities
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Arkansas
Reviewed 13 August 2008

This Hotel exceeded our expectations. We were in town for a sports event and friends booked this hotel. We didn't expect much but when we arrived it was much better than any Holiday Inn Express we had stayed at previously. Large rooms, comfortable beds and the kids loved the large bathtubs. This hotel deserves a higher star rating.

• Stayed August 2008
Oklahoma
Reviewed 15 September 2006

Was in Allen meeting family for a pre-school year shopping trip.
Stayed in a single king room. Hotel is fairly new and had not worn off it's new hotel smell, so to speak.

Room was excellent - the bed was comfortable,and I had no issues at all with anything about it, save for the lack of a closet area to hang any clothes up. Might have been more of an issue if I was in town for business, rather then pleasure.

Love the hotel's motiff - had an elegant Hollywood sense to it, with portraits of Bogart and Hepburn in my room, and nice trim overall in the room. Didn't have an internet accessible laptop with me, but their office/business area had two good PCs with printers and a high speed connection that sutied me well.

Breakfast was free and decent. Multiple restaurauts to suit any fare were within easy walking distance. The flat screen HDTV and IPOD compatible alarm clock in the room were an excellent touch as well. Staff was attentive and friendly as well.

My only problem was that I thought I maybe paid a little too much on the room ( around 90 bucks), but you have a nearly brand new hotel, with excellent location and accessiblity, and some nice perks, so that nearly evens things out. Would stay again if in the area, though might consider other options in nearby areas if was in area on business.

• Liked — Location, room touches
  • Disliked — No place to hang clothes
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled solo