“Comfortable private cabins”

Pescadero, California
“Comfortable private cabins”
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

This is a great find!
Cabins are very cozy and comfortable. It comes with kitchenettes(2 burner stove) in all cabins, microwave and coffee makers. Picnic tables and barbeques also scattered around the property. Linens are clean and of high quality(plush, not your cheap, skimpy thin variety). Its just very different from your standard hotel or motel rooms, but basically with all the same ammenities. The place just feels good to be at. You feel like lingering here for some reason, a home away from home, I guess. I just really liked staying here.

Another good thing is that its prices are so much more normal than over-priced Marfa, 25 miles down the road. Stay here and drive to Marfa if you are travelling on a budget.

The only strike I would lodge against, would be for the water thermostats to be turned up a little. Water temp only got to luke warm in the shower. Otherwise, really enjoyed my stay here.

Oh, and if you do find yourself in these parts, all eating establishments close by 9pm in Alpine, so dont be late!

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank insaneroadwarrior

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Ft. Worth
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I stayed here for three days while touring the Big Bend region. The website did a good of explaining the rooms so there were no huge surprises. The room was about the size of my master bedroom at home. The bathroom is a bit cramped with one light but it certainly is adequate for your stay. And OMG there was a BUG in my bathroom! Seriously though, it was just a stinkbug and I merely tossed him outside to be with his bug friends, no big deal (you're gonna find bugs in west TX). No carpet but the concrete was stained and polished to look like stone, pretty cool. Overall I thought the room was very clean and the towels/sheets freshly laundered.

The bed was OK it was a bit "noisy" and tended to roll easily on the cement floor, once again no biggie but since I am a restless sleeper it was kind of funny to wake up in the morning and noticed the bed had moved a few inches in the night.

Decent channel selection on the TV, my universal remote initially wouldn't control the TV but a quick Google search on how to reprogram the remote soon fixed that. I also got a pretty strong wifi signal during my stay too.

Don't forget to check out the rock shop and museum located in the office. My front door opened out into the courtyard which had several picnic tables and a small bbq grill. At night the grounds were lit up nicely.

The room had the usual amenities, dresser, nightstand, mini fridge, coffee maker, microwave and there is also a little kitchen area. No phone and no breakfast, no big deal who uses their room phone these days anyways and there are several places to eat nearby.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Hondo_Ft_Worth
Velsen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 9 September 2013

nice place to stay, the outside doesn't look fantastic but do stop and stay for a night. Cottages around a garden only no King beds available which is a pity.Parking next to your cottage, rooms with kitchinette look old but clean and so is the bathroom.
Beds are good though not modern but we slept OK. Nice friendly staff. No breakfast on site but very good restaurant half a mile further on. Be sure to sta there one night.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ron P
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Our second visit was just as good as the first. Both rooms had fun western decor and kitchenettes. Yes, the bathrooms are small, but that's part of staying at a real vintage motel. We didn't have a problem with that. The exteriors are quaint, so it's nice to sit outside and enjoy the tile roofs and semi-circle courtyard.

We also noted that the prices have gone up since our last visit several years ago. So it might seem high in comparison to other area hotels that are significantly nicer and also have the vintage feel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank eilers78751
dawn-of-time, Owner at Antelope Lodge, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Thank you for your review of our property. We're glad that you had a great time, and look forward to seeing you again.

I'd like to address your comment about our rates in comparison with other hotels in the area. The Lodge is unique and we strive to provide a unique experience. There are only two other lodging places in Alpine that might fit the criteria you mentioned, and both of them are significantly more expensive than we are. In the past several years we have purchased new furniture, upgraded amenities, replaced air conditioners, and made many other improvements to the Lodge which we feel add to the guest's comfort and the quality of their experience. Our rates put us in a category by ourselves, below the new, chain hotels and the other two historic properties, and slightly above the bargain and budget motels.

We strive to provide guests with a friendly atmosphere and a wonderful, relaxing experience. We will continue to upgrade our facilities and add new amenities as we can .
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I love the Antelope Lodge! It is charming and funky. What I really loved was that it clean, easily accessible to the many places we wanted to visit in the Big Bend area and it was not your everyday, run of the mill lodging. The staff were a great bunch of people…everybody was so super nice and when we needed anything, they were Joanie’s- on -the- spot. Being able to park the car by our room was wonderful…made it so easy to load up and head out. What I also loved is that the courtyard was a great place to relax….it was so quiet and really beautiful. We will be back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Babs F
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

On a trip to West Texas to see the Marfa lights, we stayed at the Antelope Lodge. I had been looking for clean and cheap since lodging in Marfa is ridiculously expensive. The Antelope Lodge fit the bill. The owners were extremely courteous, no one had the room next to us, so it was a quiet night. The only "complaint" that I have is that the shower didn't get as hot as I wanted, but to be fair, I do take really hot showers. The ice machine wasn't accessible after dinner hours, so that was another drawback, but didn't ruin our experience one bit. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank mightykat
Lake Kiowa, Texas
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I spent my honeymoon here, as a base to travel throughout Big Bend. What a memorable trip! The staff threw an impromtu party for us - completely unexpected - and were so friendly and courteous. My new wife had not been to Big Bend before, although she is much better traveled than I, and was very impressed. She liked the "cabin" type atmosphere a lot, and having the kitchen helped us conserve money.

I've paid a lot more to stay places, but never had a better experience.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple