“Fun Time Warp!”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Alpine
Biloxi, Mississippi
“Fun Time Warp!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

You are back to 40's and early 50's at this "motor court." Not at all fancy and not for those who prefer cookie cutter Hiltons, Hamptons,. etc.

Friendly and helpful desk clerk. Believe name was Kari.

Funky, Friendly and Fun!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Silsbee, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

My husband and I met with three other couples in Alpine for nights of March 9 - 12.

We had begun the planning stages for this trip ten months in advance and found the Antelope Lodge online. It looked like a funky, fun place to stay. We all made reservations well in advance with three couple opting for cabins opening onto the central courtyard area.

Although the cabins were older, we found ours to be comfortable. It was small with a queen size bed, desk, kitchenette with 2 bar stools, and very small bathroom (with shower only).

The courtyard area (despite the cool days and cooler nights) proved to be the perfect place for the eight of us to visit. There were several picnic tables, as well as, benches for seating. One evening, we built a fire in the courtyard fire pit. The fire wood was not provided. We bought it at the local grocery store.

Although we didn't spend a lot of time in our cabin, there was internet and cable. The ice machine in the office didn't work, but we bought bags of ice and kept in the mini fridge/freezer.

My main negative comment was the length of time we had to wait for hot water. But all in all, it was a very enjoyable stay.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Travel_Texans
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Good and bad things about this place. Bad is the wireless sucks.. it bounces off and on and is a weak signal. It does have a kitchen but its not equipped really though you can borrow off the staff. reasonable is the service, I was there long term. I cleaned my room in the end dust pan shovel etc and did that myself. It was not offered to be done though my linen was changed weekly.Also bad.. don't get in late nobody will be in attendance at the office so come for check in early.
Good,, lovely staff. Nice shop attached. Lovely forecourt area with bbq's.. Lovely comfy bed. I liked it for the most part though the wireless thing bugged me

Room Tip: Pick a room at the back if you can as there is a lot of road noise if you leave the door to your lit...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
dawn-of-time, Owner at Antelope Lodge, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thank you for your review of the Antelope Lodge. I have spoken with the General Manager about your concerns, and she mentioned to me that it was your choice to only have the bed changed once a week. We normally clean all rooms occupied by long-term guests at least three times a week. But, of course, if you, the guest, have a special request, we will abide by that. We also offered to move you to a room further back from the highway, and you declined. Concerning the kitchen implements, those are always kept in the office between uses, so that we can ensure that the items we give you are exactly what you want or need. For example, if you need a cheese slicer or a spaghetti server, we have them, but as most guests won’t use one, we don’t need to leave one in each room. We have a full complement of pots and pans, dishes, flatware, serving ware, and even dish soap and dish towels, available for all guests. As for your problem with the Wi-Fi, our general manager indicated that the W-Fi works well all across the Lodge’s two acres, including in the room you were in. As you never told us that you were having problems, we have no idea what might have caused the difficulties you had.

Regards,
Teri Smith, owner
Bellaire, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

Very friendly and helpful staff and great accommodations. I originally planned to stay one night and ended up staying three. Great location to use as a base for exploring the Big Bend area. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Throw back to a 1960's motor lodge with a few current updates (perfect)! Worth the money. Cleanest accommodations under 100.00 for any hotel we have stayed at. Nice courtyard area with picnic tables and bonfire. Friendly staff. Located at the edge of town and just 5 mins from the restaurants and bars. Small clean kitchenette.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Pescadero, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

This is a great find!
Cabins are very cozy and comfortable. It comes with kitchenettes(2 burner stove) in all cabins, microwave and coffee makers. Picnic tables and barbeques also scattered around the property. Linens are clean and of high quality(plush, not your cheap, skimpy thin variety). Its just very different from your standard hotel or motel rooms, but basically with all the same ammenities. The place just feels good to be at. You feel like lingering here for some reason, a home away from home, I guess. I just really liked staying here.

Another good thing is that its prices are so much more normal than over-priced Marfa, 25 miles down the road. Stay here and drive to Marfa if you are travelling on a budget.

The only strike I would lodge against, would be for the water thermostats to be turned up a little. Water temp only got to luke warm in the shower. Otherwise, really enjoyed my stay here.

Oh, and if you do find yourself in these parts, all eating establishments close by 9pm in Alpine, so dont be late!

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank insaneroadwarrior
Ft. Worth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

I stayed here for three days while touring the Big Bend region. The website did a good of explaining the rooms so there were no huge surprises. The room was about the size of my master bedroom at home. The bathroom is a bit cramped with one light but it certainly is adequate for your stay. And OMG there was a BUG in my bathroom! Seriously though, it was just a stinkbug and I merely tossed him outside to be with his bug friends, no big deal (you're gonna find bugs in west TX). No carpet but the concrete was stained and polished to look like stone, pretty cool. Overall I thought the room was very clean and the towels/sheets freshly laundered.

The bed was OK it was a bit "noisy" and tended to roll easily on the cement floor, once again no biggie but since I am a restless sleeper it was kind of funny to wake up in the morning and noticed the bed had moved a few inches in the night.

Decent channel selection on the TV, my universal remote initially wouldn't control the TV but a quick Google search on how to reprogram the remote soon fixed that. I also got a pretty strong wifi signal during my stay too.

Don't forget to check out the rock shop and museum located in the office. My front door opened out into the courtyard which had several picnic tables and a small bbq grill. At night the grounds were lit up nicely.

The room had the usual amenities, dresser, nightstand, mini fridge, coffee maker, microwave and there is also a little kitchen area. No phone and no breakfast, no big deal who uses their room phone these days anyways and there are several places to eat nearby.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo