“A clean basic hotel”

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Alpine
London, United Kingdom
“A clean basic hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

We stayed a back room at the Sunday House Inn for one night. The room was clean and tidy, the bed comfortable and the bathroom clean and basic. There was a fridge in the room as well which was useful. I would say that the only downside was the close proximity to the rail tracks, which meant that the room almost shook every time a train went past (which happened surprisingly often during the night). Would definitely recommend requesting a room not adjacent to the train track. A buffet style breakfast was included, it was disappointing to some, but overall contained basic breakfast foods. Overall good value for money.

Room Tip: Request a room as far as possible from the train tracks...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank DanielleC78

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Youngstown, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

Great location on Rt. 90 across from Sul Ross University. Good place to eat next door ( Rose Steakhouse) with gas and convience stores nearby. Largest non-suite room I have ever seen with very comfortable bed. The hotel is under renovations but everything was clean and the staff most helpful. It was very quiet and breakfast was great with many items including eggs and sausage.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DWathenYoungstown_OH
rosemount
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

It's a good place to stay on a budget. It is clean and has been somewhat updated. The continental breakfast has a good variety. Morning hotel staff was very nice. Evening staff seemed to be the owner was preoccupied on the phone to give good service. Location is good close to college and some restaurants.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank phantompotter
El Paso, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

“Welcome” to the Sunday House Inn, Alpine Texas. I grew up in Marfa, Texas---a short drive from Alpine. I was Marfa’s Centennial Queen in 1983---kind of cool when you are a senior in high school. I love my former community---and Alpine, is a part of what makes the “Tri-Town Connection” (Alpine, Marfa & Ft. Davis) so peacefully cool: small towns, good people, fond memories. Here’s the deal: I will tell you what happened to my children and myself….you decide where you want to spend your hard earned money. Traveling on a budget, we thought that The Sunday House Inn would suffice for our weekend getaway. Our room: filthy carpet (couldn’t go barefoot), hole in bathroom ceiling that I had to Lysol, and a partially burned lamp we were afraid to use. We were out and about having fun all weekend so we made do. The trip was booked through Priceline weeks before, paid in full. Five days after we had returned home, the hotel, using my debit card information, stole $100.00 from my checking account. When I spoke to the manager regarding this incident, he told me we had “trashed” the room. It was shocking: I’ve traveled all over the country and I’ve never done that in my life. My kids and I had stacked trash that didn’t fit in the 2 little cans in a neat pile near the nightstand, wet towels in the tub, etc. We are not a rock band---we don’t “trash” rooms. The manager informed me they had taken photos---which could only have been staged. When I said “You aren’t from around this area are you?” (meaning: the small town atmosphere where I grew up people didn’t scam travelers out of hard earned money); he began a tirade calling me a racist. I teach at a university, my kids are multicultural, my daughter-in-law, brother-in-law and friends are of various ethnicities as well. It was abhorrent to me that this man screamed that at me----after stealing money from my account. I had to cancel my debit card, both the police and sheriff’s departments have reports on this incident, as does Priceline. When I told that manager in that one call we had that I would be informing the unsuspecting public about his illegal practices, he informed me that he “knows who I am and knows where I live.” And also, because I’d mentioned I’m a college instructor, he told me he “knows where I work” and can post things about me, or attempt to hurt my professional reputation. This has been a nightmare. I am saddened that people do this to others---I’m a single mom, working really hard…$100.00 is a lot of money to me. I don’t know if this criminal will make good on his terroristic threats---but I feel obligated to tell the truth to the police and also in this forum to make others aware---don’t fall victim! There are many other really nice places to stay in Alpine/Marfa/Ft. Davis. The area is beautiful---and most of the people you will encounter are really great. They say you can’t go home again….I just learned that the hard way.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
19 Thank kilpatricku2

Travellers are raving about these Alpine hotels

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

We went to visit family in Marfa but the only reasonably priced place to stay was booked full. Found the Sunday House on line and liked the price. We were very happy with the excellent customer service. The room was huge and had a table, chair and loveseat. Nice flat screen tv with lots of cable channels. Internet was pretty fast. The A/C worked well and we were far enough back that there was no road noise. The property is older and needs some TLC but the room was clean and the bed was super comfortable. They use flat pillows but give you two. I hate those overstuffed neck breaker pillows so these were perfect. The breakfast buffet was what you would expect but better than one of the local places were tried! Overall, the Sunday House is user friendly and a great value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the south end away from the road noise.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jayel57
Plano, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Do not waste your time or money staying in this DUMP. I stayed in this place 3 years ago in the same room. The toilet had the same stains in it as it did then. The beds are better but that is it. The carpet had the same 3 inch gap to the door as it did 3 years ago. There are plenty of other places in Alpine. Next door a NEW Holiday Inn Express, as an example.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank phillip b
Viola, Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

I agree with others this is not a 5 star Motel but the room we spent the night in was very comfortable the bed was comfortable, the sheets were comfortable and had no problem with them staying ont the bed, four pillows to each bed. The bathroom was clean had a good shower, plenty of towels and wash cloths. We were only there one night but if I ever go back through there thats where I will stay. Price was very afordable plus you get a 10% discount at restaurant next door, which the burgers were great!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends