“Good for the price”

Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Alpine
Kingsville, TX
“Good for the price”
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

My best friend and I wanted a place just to sleep & shower after a 7 hr drive. Plus we were going to tour Fort Davis & Marfa which are both 30 mins away from Alpine. The marfa viewing center is 20 minutes away. The room was a king bed with a good size fridge and a microwave. All for $40. Good price for a one night stay.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Alex7492

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

A great value is to be had here. The beds are comfortable. There is a microwave and refrigerator. The chair is ergonomic. The whole place was spotless, including the grounds. There was no free coffee, sad to say. We were quite pleased for the $54 that was paid.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank NewMexicoScraps
Tinley Park, Illinois
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We took a spur-of-the-moment trip to Marfa and the Big Bend country during spring break. The Value Lodge was the only place I could find a room, so I didn't expect much at the price I had to pay ($67 + tax for the 3 of us). I was pleasantly surprised with room 103. This motel is plain, with no frills (e.g., no breakfast). It's not totally modernized, but it's clean and not run down. Everything worked -- another surprise. There's a microwave and small refrigerator. The beds were comfortable, and we had a good night's sleep. So, save yourself some money and just stay here.

Room Tip: Room 103 is fine.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank FX16GTS
Pecos, Texas
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

I've visited Alpine on 30 occasions and have stayed at 4-5 different hotels. This hotel early 70s hotel reopened about 3 years ago and went through a major remodeling at the time. The rooms received new carpet, granite countertops, paint, art and new bed coverings.

That is the positive statement I'll make in fairness. The rest is not positive. I won't be back to stay here.

The owners have a lot to learn about the hospitality industry. He is an adult transplant from another country, I'm guessing India or Pakistan. He speaks very little English and never in a complete sentence. He is abrupt, devoid of tact or courtesy and worse still, he has held onto his Indian/Pakistani mentality of all strangers are just someone to ignore or just get something from. He is clueless about words like hospitality, graciousness, courtesy or friendliness. It is his culture brought to Alpine. Well his culture sucks.

Yes, the rooms are a value, all things considered. But there is more to doing business with someone than just them being the low bidder. So for $50 it is a value, but the contempt he shows is barely veiled.

He's got a chronic condition and it isn't curable. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

His wife is sweet, but she cannot undo the damage he does by his rudeness.

At 10:51 a.m. he calls the room and announces "checkout" and that is it. Really? First thing, checkout is at 11 so why are you calling me? I told him I would be staying another day and he grunted and hung up. This guy has the complete wrong attitude. I boycott jerks, and he qualifies as a jerk although it is probably just his culture that everyone is just worthless if you aren't related to them.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
8 Thank CameraReadyCush

Travellers are raving about these Alpine hotels

Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

We no more then got into the room and the commode was stopped up. I called the desk to advise of the issue. The desk man "I think the owner but not sure" was quick to accuse that we were the problem not his commode. He was kind enough to offer a plunger or we could go elsewhere. He was to busy to attempt to fix it. I was ready to leave but all other hotels were booked at that time and as my wife said it was just one night. If my wife did not intervene I would have left the town of Alpine right then!!! But I did plunge the commode myself and again and again every time we used the bathroom. If it weren't for my wife I would had sent them a bill for my plumbing services.
The plumbing issue aside, I would not stay here again just because of the rude way we were treated. I'm guessing the person at the desk had known there were no other options in Alpine at that time. He could treat us poorly and we had little recourse but to travel elsewhere. There will not be a next time I will book elsewhere. The Value is just not here.

• Stayed August 2013
5 Thank Modularmark
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Cant beat this place for the money. Free WIFI, decent-sized room, good bed and all rooms are ground floor so no noisy neighbors upstairs. :) TV is kinda small but I hardly watch TV anyways. Overall, as good as it gets!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ALEXANDER G
Montgomery, Texas
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We found out after only 15 min. of booking a room that we would not be able to go to Alpine. We called them and they refused to let us back out. We had gone through a booking agency who faxed the motel and asked them to not charge us. The manager was very rude to them and us. They got our money but not our business ever.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family