“Terrific Tenderloin Tamale!”
Review of Reata Restaurant

Reata Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Reata Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 44 Restaurants in Alpine
Price range: US$11 - US$40
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The original Reata Restaurant located in the scenic Davis Mountains of west Texas offers the same fine dining and Legendary Texas Cuisine you can find at the Fort Worth location. Alpine, home to Sul Ross State University is near Texas tourist destination Big Bend National Park and the towns of Marathon, Fort Davis and Lajitas. Alpine is also a short drive from Marfa, Texas renowned both for the mysterious Marfa Lights and Donald Judd’s Chinati Foundation. Reata, named after the legendary ranch in the James Dean classic movie, “Giant”, which was filmed in nearby Marfa, boasts the same high quality Southwestern dining you can find in Fort Worth. This is not food for the faint of heart, from Chicken Fried Steak to Calf Fries or the Pepper Crusted Tenderloin and Cowboy Rib Eye Steak, this is a dining experience not to miss. Today, Reata Alpine remains a true destination restaurant, attracting loyal diners from miles beyond the charming converted farmhouse where our Legendary Texas Cuisine was born.
Reviewed 17 August 2014

As a native Texan I have eaten my share of tamales, but the signature Beef Tenderloin Tamale was so good, I went back the next day! AND, I have to mention the buttermilk pie. I had a bet with the waitress that it could not be as good as my grandmother's pie, but I lost the bet. I would go back to Alpine for another slice of that pie. I will say the second visit was not as spectacular as the first. The tamale was not stuffed as full of the beef, the garnish of fresh pico de gallo over spinach was absent and my sandwich was incorrect. Different kitchen staff, different meal. But overall a wonderful oasis in West Texas.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

My mother, sister and I ate lunch at the Reata this week. We started out with onion rings and the roasted asparagus tomato basil soup or tortilla soup. They were both excellent. The cup of soup was bowl size. Unfortunately all three of us ordered the chile relleno for lunch. We should've broken up the order and shared entrees. However, presentation was great. The huge chiles were stuffed with massive amounts of pinkish cream cheese and a few kernels of corn. I saw no green chiles. The stuffing was oversalted and in my opinion, unedible. I scooped out the cheese and ate the chile. Unfortunately, my mother and sister ate most of the chile. They were sick with stomach issues most of the night. We should've stopped with the onion rings and soup. All in all, with the exception of the chiles, the food was great. We were terribly disappointed with the chile rellenos. I had eated at the Reata in Fort Worth. The food was awesome. My sister had eated at the Alpine restaurant years ago. She said the food was good back then.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We truly loved our visit to Alpine! Reata was our favorite eating and watering hole. Fabulous food and fun times in a small intimate package. We highly recommend the grilled shrimp on onion jam and the tamales. Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Their signature restaurant is located in Fort Worth and is quite a success. Their Alpine restaurant is just as good in terms of food quality, service and atmosphere, and the place to go for an upscale dinner or lunch. Their stuffed Chili Rellenos and signature salads are the best. However, be prepared to pay Fort Worth prices for the dinning experience. before you go take a look at their menu on line so you won't be surprised.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

The Reata is located in downtown Alpine and features an upscale menu in a restored home. The food was absolutely great--better t than the more highly touted Cochineal in Marfa, in fact. This is THE place to eat in Alpine.