“Penthouse pleasure”
Review of Holland Hotel

Holland Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Alpine
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We stayed at the Holland for two nights as part of a journey thru the region. The penthouse unit was a little pricey, but well worth it. You have to walk up to the top floor, but have a spacious room, a small kitchen area with microwave and sink, and an awesome outdoor space with a good view of the mountains, the stars and a large hot tub for two. The staff at the Holland were enthusiastic and friendly, and the decor is vintage. The only possible drawback for some might be the trains going through. We don't mind the sound, but it was loud. The hotel provides ear plugs anyway in the room. If you stay there, be sure to travel up to Marfa to see the "mystery lights." An engaging community experience with a twist of mystery thrown in. We'll definitely be back to the Holland.

Room Tip: The penthouse is perfect for rail fans and star gazers.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! And we are so happy to here you enjoyed your stay in our Penthouse Suite! We enjoyed reading your lovely compliments. Please let us know the next time you will be in Alpine

Reviewed 28 September 2012

We enjoyed our stay at The Holland! Everything was very comfortable, warm and welcoming. We enjoyed the complimentary drink as well as breakfast! We can't wait to return! Definitely stay in the Penthouse!!

1  Thank Kallie M

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback on your stay in September. We value our guests' feedback so much, without it we couldn't strive to make each stay better than the last. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your complimentary drink, breakfast and the penthouse! Please let us know when you will be in town again. We have great repeat guest specials!

Reviewed 9 September 2012

We loved our visit! We stayed one night in the "Penthouse" with a jacuzzi and then the last night in a Junior Suite room. Both rooms were wonderful! The hotel also gave us breakfast vouchers for the Bread & Breakfast cafe on the next block and it was great to sit, eat & talk to locals. We we're within walking distance to the Riata Restaurant and the only movie theatre within 2 hours of anywhere! We stayed during the Labor Day weekend and had loads of activities to participate (Balloonfest, Marfa Lights Fest, McDonald Observatory Star Party, Solar Viewing, and tour, farmers market, Fort Davis exploration, sightseeing). We absolutely loved our stay and will definitely return some day!

• Stayed: August 2012
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Thank You so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay! We value your feedback! We are so pleased to hear what a wonderful Labor Day Weekend y'all had! Please let us know when you will be returning to Alpine!

Reviewed 8 September 2012

Groupon brought us to the Holland Hotel. Our assigned room wasn't ready, so they moved us to a Jr. Suite. Lots of room and a jacuzzi tub. Our first night was rough as we weren't on top of the remote that controlled the room temperature - also the noise from passing trains kept us from getting a good night's sleep. The tub has a sloping bottom - not the easiest to use for standing to take a shower. We discussed our concerns with those at the front desk the next morning. Have to say that they couldn't have been nicer. We moved to a room with a king bed and a regular tub. Also we were able to keep the room temperature ideal as the remote was much better. Night 2 was perfect !!! We loved the hotel and would recommend it. Considering its age, it is well maintained. The new bar and pub which should open within a month or so will be a great addition. Another plus are the iced tea, coffee and delicious lemonade that are always available. Actually two nights were not enough, there are more things to see and do on another trip.

Room Tip: Liked the third floor location.
1  Thank ronnim

Thank You so much for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor! We value our guests' feedback, we strive to make each stay more enjoyable than the last and without your feedback and comments we could not do so! We are looking forward to your return, we will definitely make sure you have the same room as you did your 2nd night with us!

Warm Regards!

Reviewed 22 August 2012

When we first arrived after landing in Midland Texas airport and drove through what I thought was going to make me cry---we saw the the desert suddenly give way to mountains and pretty green vistas. Alpin was very quaint. The Holland was having the resturant renovated but, aside from that Laura Bush was speaking there that day and we were pretty much "locked out" of the bar and what later turned out to be a beautiful lobby and patio. Everyone was friendly and they tried to make us comfortable right away however.....the guy man with wild colored glasses was VERY EXCITED to show us to the "Guest Quarters" let me warn you......these were nothing but, run down apartments with ALLEY way entry to the beautiful and ACTUAL Holland Hotel.

Naturally --I balked--no way I was staying in those dumpy "renovated" "quarters" the manager was very kind--they were "sold out" and we knew they were--we were with a rather large group that came to the area to harvest grapes. SURELY they knew I would not have stayed in "The Quarters" after we paid for The Holland Hotel.

After much back and forth--we were given a room that was LOVELY---a very large room with a nice jaccuzzi tub. The king size bed was very nice it had a a water closet apart from the bath area and very "vintage" time period furnishings along with real "keys" to the double doors and nice lighting touches and bedding.

I would recommend this hotel to ANYONE I know that stayed in the ACTUAL Hotel.....the Lobby and patio were very nice. We were offered a complimentary drink and enjoyed the patio. It was so peaceful I could have taken a book and sat with a cool drink and stayed a few more days.

Take it from me--the place is great--the manager is wonderful but, don't let the young guy behind the desk put you in "The Guest Quarters" stay in the real Holland Hotel--you won't be sorry.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building not the "Guest Quarters" "enjoy the lobby and the patio wit...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tripguru43
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2012

Thank you for the fabulous comments regarding the Holland Hotel…and the compliments regarding staff and management! We are thrilled that your stay turned out to be great…and that we resolved the confusion regarding your room! The Guest Quarters are a managed property, located in Alpine’s old historic clinic…and the owner of that property has decorated all of her renovated apartments in a euro-modern style…which some folks like, and others don’t! And we agree, the alley is kind of a mess at this time due to our construction…but that area should be back up to par by the end of the month!
Again, thank you for the time you took to write this great review…we look forward to seeing you again!!

Reviewed 14 August 2012

I bought a Groupon for 2 nights at the Holland Hotel not really knowing what to expect. My decision was based solely on the fact it was a historic hotel, one of my passions. When I stepped foot through the front doors, my eyes were filled with wonderment. I felt like a kid in a candy store! Such a beautiful place tucked away in this tiny West Texas town.
They had to switch rooms at check in, which was not problem at all. I was offered a loft room or a very large room. I chose the large room and it was fantastic. Very clean, beautifully decorated, 2 bedrooms, a living room, and bathroom. It even had a small bar and it overlooked the nice courtyard below. They provide earplugs for the train, but I never heard it during the night.
The Bread & Breakfast cafe down the street was a quaint place to eat.Good comfort food, and awesome scratch made bread, cinnamon rolls, pancakes, etc. I ordered a little extra than what the hotel voucher offered and it was very inexpensive.
I had invited a few people to go with me but all declined. So I made the trek alone. They are the ones that missed out! The staff was super friendly and attentive. Julie, the manager, was so nice and very knowlegeable about the places of interest, the best places to eat, and what was open or not on Sundays. She let me hang out at the front desk and we chatted it up awhile. Julie is certainly a great asset to the place.
I had the best weekend in Alpine at the Holland Hotel. It made a huge impression on me. I was sad I had to leave but plan on returning next year with my children. We will take the train there from Ft Worth. I really look forward to eating at the new restaurant they are opening. With places like these, I won't stay in another chain hotel again!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank fortwchic
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Unless they changed out all of the furnishings in two days, I saw nothing that resembled Ikea in Loft 2 (as mentioned in the post below). We checked out on July 30 after staying 4 nights in Loft 2 during Viva Big Bend 2012. I think there's some confusion with the "Guest Quarters" building next to the Lofts. The Guest Quarters is all Ikea. The Lofts are anti-Ikea! We stay at the Holland "frequently" (considering it's 510 driving miles from our home!) and it is an excellent hotel. We never stay anywhere else when we're in Alpine (although we do try to work in a night at the Gage in Marathon every now and then, mainly for their great swimming pool!)

Room Tip: The Lofts are quieter than the main hotel because they are behind it, away from the highway.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim K

We are so excited that you enjoyed your stay in the Lofts…we are happy to be managing this property…it has great appeal to folks who want some extra room, ground floor access, and maybe even an outdoor grill! We have just recently begun managing the Lofts property, and the Wright Building apartments…both of which are located immediately behind the hotel, and both of which have a completely different ambiance! True, the Wright Building apartments, although in a historic clinic, are decorated in Euro-modern…but they provide great amounts of space for families and groups! And the Lofts are so named for their loft-style, although they are on the ground floor! And the owner of the Lofts has many historic photos, and memorabilia from his family’s Big Bend pioneer days!
Thanks for the comments…and we can’t wait for ya’ll to visit again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpine
The Maverick Inn
#4 of 13 in Alpine
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#6 of 13 in Alpine

Been to Holland Hotel? Share your experiences!