“An Awesome Experience”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Alpine
Georgetown, Texas, United States
“An Awesome Experience”
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Beautifully restored building. Family Friendly game room, quiet reading room. We were passing thru town, found this hotel, the staff was so friendly. While we already had a place to stay, they invited us back to listen to their live entertainment that evening. We felt so welcome even though we were not registered guests of the hotel. We came back that evening after spending the day walking around this quaint friendly little town. With our pets in hand, the hotel allowed our 4 legged family into the courtyard where we were treated to a Wonderful 3 piece band - Alpine Trio - as they called themselves. These guys were AWESOME!!!!! So much fun, such a variety of music, not too loud, and very good with the crowd. I hope to hear them again when we get back into town. The hotel staff took such good care of us. One in particular was Allie. She was incredible. Allie was wonderful with us, very caring to our children. She brought our youngest crayons and paper to color to keep her entertained. She was the only waitress we saw in the courtyard and took care of everyone the same way. Very sweet, took her time with everyone. To the manager Julie and all her staff, Thank You very much. We look forward to staying with your hotel the next time we are thru town. You guys were AWESOME!!!!!!! Darrin and Jo Ann, the girls, and dogs.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Darrin L
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Darrin, Jo Ann, girls and puppies!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your recent experience at The Holland. Your kind words and lovely compliments mean so much to our staff! We want everyone who walks through our door to feel like they are "home" away from home! Thank you!!! I am looking forward to staying in touch with y'all throughout the year and can't wait for y'all to stay with us! We will strive to make your next experience even better than your first.

Warm Regards!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 14 March 2013

After reviewing their website, I had high expectations for a pleasant 4 night stay. When I arrived, the only parking space available was a side lot. From this area, one has to walk through this lot to a sidewalk then to the entrance of the hotel. The parking lot was not in good shape… cracked concrete, weeds around the edges. Upon registering, I was informed that the elevator was being serviced but the stairs was convenient. So, I trekked up stairs with all baggage in tow. Not pleasant.
When I arrived at my room on the second floor, I was surprised to find the door to my assigned room ajar. Thinking the maids were cleaning, I peered into the room and found no one. At this point, I began thinking this may be a mistake, but I persevered. Set my baggage in the room, rechecked the room number, closed and locked the door and proceeded to the front desk to report the open door. The clerk had not explanation. This is a very old hotel and is showing it use. The door knobs appear to be original… maybe 100 years old.
Following dinner, I was ready for a good night’s rest. This was not in the cards. The Holland Hotel allows pets in the rooms. A couple of doors down the hall was a little “yapper”… yes a small dog with a high pitch rapid bark, calling constantly for its master who was nowhere to be found. This was extremely annoying and the front desk was no help.
Finally, later this evening, the master of this beast returned and all became quiet… for a short while. Then, the blast of the trains sounded. The Holland Hotel sits in the middle of town and across the street from the train depot… literally 225 feet from the railroad tracks. All night long and at every crossing, the trains passing through Alpine are required to blast their horn to warn cars from crossing the tracks. There are 5 roads that cross the tracks. So, each hour throughout the night, the train sound its horn 5 times.
Needless to say the next morning I left very tired and disappointed… never to return again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank PT C
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay in May 2012. I appreciate very much your thoughts and comments from your stay almost 1 year ago. Our hotel has been through a major renovation in these last couple of years, it is a long extensive process to renovate a building that is almost 100 years old, meaning renovations cannot happen overnight. I do apologize for your inconveniences and would have like to have known your issues with the hotel staff at the time of your stay so I could have corrected and retrained my staff appropriately. We have gone through many upgrades since your stay almost 1 year ago. I have searched our database and have been unable to find a record of your stay in May 2012. I would like to invite you to reach out to me to discuss this further. I would hope you will contact me, I would like the chance to change your mind and give The Holland a second chance. If you so choose, you can contact me at julie@thehollandhoteltexas.com.

Texas
Reviewed 9 March 2013

We stayed here 1 night on the way to our Big Bend vacation. We really enjoyed the stay. Hotel has been renovated and restored and is really nice. Very friendly service. Our room was very nice and roomy considering the age of the building. Dinner at the Century restaurant was very good as well.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your wonderful review. We value our guests feedback and encourage it in order to improve our services for your next visit. Thank you for your kind words regarding our "friendly service"! It means so much to us. Please let us know when you will be back!

Georgetown, Texas
Reviewed 8 March 2013

We stayed at the Holland on our way to Big Bend this past week. We'd never stayed there before, but we bought a "groupon" coupon and took a chance. It was great! An old hotel that has been renovated and still has tons of charm. The room (suite) we got was tremendous. We also ate at the restaurant there and had great food. The service was a little slow, but it might have been because everyone in town was there or in the bar! The staff was very friendly at the hotel and in the restaurant. I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: The hotel is next to the railroad tracks (it was built to be a railroad hotel in the early 1900'...
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words and lovely compliments. We are so happy to hear you took advantage of our recent Groupon Deal! We are so happy to also hear what a great time you had. Thank you for your kinds word for our staff, they work hard to make sure your stay is enjoyable and appreciate your kind words. We are excited for your next visit!

Hays County, Texas, United States
Reviewed 6 March 2013

My wife and I wanted a quiet place to stay to celebrate our 27th anniversary/Texas Interdependence Day in the mountains of West Texas (Alpine's elevation is 4500 feet). The Holland was perfect. Historic, but not too so (think smaller Menger in San Antonio), hip without the pretension of of the Paisano in Marfa (same can be said for Alpine as a whole), and an excellent bar & grill (the Century) with superb food and an excellent bar. We both look forward to our next stay!

It's not often mentioned, but Amtrak stops right across the street from the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side of the hotel are quieter.
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
Thank you for choosing to spend your 27th Anniversary and Texas Independence Day with us! Congratualtions! Mr. Summer, thank you so much for your lovely review on tripadvisor! And also what a wonderful way to describe our hotel, "An Oasis of unpretentiousness and casual luxury. We have already bragged about it on our social media! Thank you for mentioning The Century Bar & Grill. We are thrilled to hear what a wonderful experience you had. We are looking forward to seeing you again, thank you!
Nacogdoches, Texas
Reviewed 4 March 2013

My husband and I booked this hotel for a weekend at the beginning of March. This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in, and I very much look forward to staying again! The check-in process was quick, the clerk friendly and informative. The room was comfortable and spacious. The lobby area is beautiful. They have a great courtyard with a fireplace, which is great for the cool nights. There is also a comfortable sitting area in the lobby with another fireplace. Cozy! There is also a rec room with a huge TV and pool table. They allow dogs in the hotel, and we spent one afternoon hanging out with our dog, playing pool and listening to music. It was wonderful!
Every time I encountered a staff member, they were friendly and courteous. The atmosphere is very laid back, so we felt right at home the entire time we were there.
We ate at the restaurant one night for dinner. The food and service were great, but the prices a little high, around $30 a person. They have a complimentary breakfast in the mornings, it was standard hotel breakfast fare.
A few drawbacks- the bathroom was a little on the small side, and the clerk said we had a room with a bigger bathroom, so that could be an issue for some. There is a train that runs at all hours, but I could hardly hear it in the room, it never woke me up while I was sleeping. They do provide ear plugs. There is no desk clerk after 9PM, but they do provide the GM's phone number for emergencies.
Overall, we loved our stay at the Holland Hotel, and will definitely be returning.

Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
First and foremost, thank you so much for your kind words and lovely compliments! Your comments are what we strive to hear! Thank you also for taking the time to write your review. Without feedback from our guests we couldn't aim to make each stay better than the last. We hope all our guests have your experience! Please let us know when you will be returning!
Our guest bathrooms that face Holland Ave are actually the original size bathrooms when they were brand new in 1928! Did you know The Holland was the first hotel between San Antonio and El Paso to have their own private bathrooms! But yes we do have many suites in our selection that have much larger bathrooms! Thanks again for your review!

Reviewed 27 February 2013

My husband and I stayed at the historic Holland Hotel during our honeymoon trip through Big Bend, Alpine, and Ft. Davis. Our room was lovely, the hotel atmosphere was wonderful, and the service was great. We had an outstanding stay and I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2012
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Hey Guys! Thank you so much for choosing to spend your honeymoon with us! Hopefully we can make this a yearly thing! I am so happy to hear what a good time you had. We are looking forward to your return. Let us know and we will set you up in a suite of your choice!

Warm Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpine
The Maverick Inn
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alpine Southeast
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#6 of 13 in Alpine

Been to Holland Hotel? Share your experiences!