“Interesting historical hotel, not great for young children”
Review of Holland Hotel

Holland Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Alpine
Texas
“Interesting historical hotel, not great for young children”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I will try and break down by category of what I thought of the Holland Hotel.

LOBBY: 5 STARS!!!
Gorgeous lobby, beautifully restored, great details from the artwork to the furniture. It beats any modern hotel hands down! Loved sitting there and taking in all that was going on.

FRONT DESK: 3 to 3.5 STARS
Friendly and efficient, but not too helpful. I had a 21 month old toddler with me. Would have liked a little assistance to my room tugging a suitcase, stroller and portable crib (hotel did not have cribs), but I realize a smaller hotel might have a limited staff.

ROOM: 3 STARS...(another room location might have given it 4 STARS)
I had a junior suite, with king bed, sofa and slightly larger bathroom. Nice details on decor, bottled water, nice eco soaps, etc. (although soap, shampoo, etc. made in china, uggghhh). The bed was comfy enough too. Unfortunately, I had a rooftop view of the a/c units. And the very loud music, although charming, was DIRECTLY below my room in the dining area. The music did stop promptly at 10:00 p.m., which is normally not a problem for me at all, but with a toddler, I wished they would have advised me on a quieter room, perhaps on other side of hallway.

BREAKFAST: ONE STAR, MAYBE TWO... This was the one true disappointment for me. I felt it was not up to par with the hotel at all. Comparable to what you would find at a La Quinta. Coffee, tea, cereal, milk, bottled juices, apples, oranges, some stale croissants, blueberry muffins (store bought and not very good), and some bread with butter and jam options. I was hoping they might offer some type of protein (boiled eggs, yogurt, sausage). It doesn't have to be much, but TRY sometime maybe a little different with a regional twist.. Perhaps a regional sausage from Texas or homemade muffins? (mix batter night before and pop in oven early a.m.) A local, historic hotel should not mimic the cheap chain hotel for continental breakfast. In my opinion if you do not do breakfast to at least at a Hampton Inn level, don't bother. No one likes stale, blahhh food.

SUMMARY:
Overal, this is a wonderful historic hotel with a fabulous lobby and outdoor eating area, that lacks some fine tuning. Staff for the most part are very friendly (minus the aloof bartender). If I traveled without my toddler I might have given the overall rating on the hotel 4 stars instead of 3 stars. But witnessing the lack of assistance with my little guy in tow, I realized they need to do a little more fine tuning...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. It is greatly appreciated that you took the time to point out some issues in which we failed to meet your expectations. We value our guests feedback and encourage it in order to improve our services and expectations of our guests. Your valuable feedback has provided us with many new training techniques and improvements.
We are a very small hotel but we do understand your situation, and it would be ideal if we had a bellman for reasons such as helping our guests with their precious children and cargo. Our staff is definitely looking into having some additional help for busy times, which would indeed provide extra service for our guests with children and such.
You have also provided some great feedback for our front desk staff to become more aware of our guests traveling with children and providing guests with the best room option possible considering all aspects, for example, our live music in the courtyard. Many of our guests like the north side of our building because other than music, it is quieter than our rooms that face street side. And on a side note on our bath amenities we do offer ECO Sciences, which is distributed by Custom Amenities, Inc out of Calgary, Alberta, Canada but thank you for your feedback on that note!
We have also taken into great consideration your inputs on breakfast and are really appreciative of your feedback. Management is currently revisiting our breakfast offerings.
In conclusion we would love to have you stay with us again just so you can see our fine tunings and improvements we have made since your last visit. Please contact me directly, I assure you we will meet and exceed your expectations.

Julie Morton
julie@thehollandhoteltexas.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2013

When I reserved the Penthouse Suite for the 4th of July, I guess I should have checked it out a little better, I was told it had a private Deck with a Hot Tub, and it was just a few steps up from the Third Floor Elevator doors. All these things are somewhat true, after you climb another 5 or 6 stairs, you turn right at the landing and you climb 5 or 6 more steps, then you get to a landing with a door to the Room, oh yeah, you'll need to climb another 5 or 6 stairs to actually enter the room. Once you've carried your luggage all the way up there, you find youself in a setting area, with no TV, not even a lamp, thats because there are no electrical outlets in there, so you can't sit there and use use you laptop for long, now there is a flat screen TV hanging on the wall in the bedroom, only issue I had with this is, if you want to watch TV you need to be in the Bed to do it, and while this is the most expensive room in the House, I'm also pretty sure it's the smallest, but that would have been OK, because we had the Deck and the Hot Tub. The Deck was nice with a bench, round Patio Table and Chairs, but it overlooks the A/C units on the Hotel Roofs and the roofs of several adjecent buildings, that's OK, just don't look down, look at the mountains and the veiw is fine. Well anyway by this time, we both kind of tired and thought we would give the Hot Tub a try, I raised the cover and the control panel read an inviting 104*, so we mixed ourselves a couple of Adult Beverge and jumped in, why there must have been at least 30 or 40 Jets in there, problem is that only about 6 or 7 of them actually do anything, I tried adjusting and fiddleing with the Jets, but to no avail.

While we really like the Holland Hotel, and the Alpine Area, this was definanly not what we have grown to expect from them, I'm sure we will give the Holland another chance in the future, just guess I expected a bit more, since we have spent over $1500.00 in just the past few months on a total of only 3 short visits, for that kind of money you tend to expect that things will work and that qetting to your room is not a Quest.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2013
Thank you so much for your valuable feedback! We are saddened that we failed to be as great as you found us to be when you wrote your great review of us back in January. We love and encourage feedback from everyone but especially our repeat guests, even more seriously.
Thus the front desk staff has been retrained on thoroughly informing guests of the stair situation in accessing the Penthouse. Further, maintenance staff has been re-trained in how to leave the jets turned on after cleaning. They did indeed have many left in cleaning mode which prevented them from working at the time. Next time you visit, please contact me directly so can personally make sure your suite & your next stay is truly memorable-but in a good way, like your January stay. We are definitely looking forward to your next visit!

Julie
julie@thehollandhoteltexas.com
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We chose The Holland because we were travelling on Amtrak to Big Bend and on to LA. The hotel is right across from the station. I can see plenty of 5 star reviews already but now I know why. Not only is it an historic and beautifully appointed hotel but the staff were just so friendly and helpful.

We had booked 3 rooms for one night but as one of the rooms was a suite with 2 bedrooms the General Manager said why don't we share, saving us money. Then once we had checked in we were each given a voucher for a free drink in the bar! This place oozes West Texas style. Once we'd dumped our bags we spent a great afternoon getting to know the equally friendly bar staff. We loved Alpine and especially The Holland and it's staff. Brilliant!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
We are so happy to hear what a great time you had on your recent stay with us! We value our guests' feedback in order to keep exceeding our guests' expectations. Also thank you for sharing your lovely pictures!

Warn Regards
Morris County, NJ
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Nice room, good service. We checked out and went to Big Bend National Park, not sure how long that would take us and where we would be after the park. We ended up detouring slightly to stay at the Holland Inn again. It was that good.

Room Tip: The only minus is that it's across the street from the train station. Our room overlooked the t...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
First of all, we are very much looking forward to your next visit! The Holland Hotel is a great spot for exploring The Big Bend area! Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. Hopefully you will get a better nights rest the next time you visit. We will have a "silent zone" in place soon!

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Faultless in all respects. We didn't want to leave this welcoming, comfortable, clean hotel. Great base to explore W Texas. The General Manager, Karla, is unparalleled in the service industry - a true professional with heart and soul. She saved our holiday - and enhanced it. Holland Hotel staff were professional, friendly and kind. West Texas hospitality Holland Hotel style is awesome.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Wow thank you so much for writing a review on your recent stay! We are looking forward to exceeding your expectations on your next visit! Please let us know when you can make it out here!

Wherever My Heart Is
Reviewed 6 July 2013

From the moment I walked into this beautiful lobby, I felt that I was home. The woman on duty at the front desk was on the phone with another guest (very polite to the person on the other end of the phone by the way), so another woman came out right away to help me. I was instantly taken by surprise by this genuine and vivacious woman who went out of her way in so many ways to help me: I forgot shampoo and conditioner - she brought some extra to me; I wasn't sure of my next driving route - armed with a highlighter & map, she spent a good 15 minutes with me advising me of the sights and routes; when finding out that I am a vegetarian, she introduced me to the chef of the restaurant who then made a special meal for me. This woman was such an amazing butterfly who I observed dealing with many other guests in the same heartfelt way that she dealt with me. I came to find out later that she is the General Manager, Carla. Because of Carla, the lovely room which included one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept on in a hotel, all of the attention to detail clearly exhibited throughout the hotel and the overall positive attitude of the other staff members that I spoke with, I will stay here again next time I'm in Alpine. Yes, the train makes its presence known, however the hotel provides ear plugs in the room, which I didn't need to use as once I fell asleep I never heard the train again. What a charming place. And Carla clearly knows her job, enjoys it, and made my experience there an A+!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Nisey W
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
We simply cannot express how thankful we are for the wonderful review you posted on our staff! Reviews like this mean so much to us. We are happy to hear we met your expectations! Carla is very touched by your kind words and lovely compliments! We are looking forward to your next visit!

The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Spent the weekend in Alpine to visit family and attend a "star party at The McDonald Observatory.
I can tell the new owners have upgraded the hotel (especially the lobby and sitting rooms off lobby). The check-in process was efficient and courteous, and our room was as expected. The room was clean.
Good location as a base for exploring Big Bend. Several breakfast places and restaurants within walking distance.
I will stay there again.....

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Julie M, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your wonderful review! We hope to see you again soon!

Warm Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpine
The Maverick Inn
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alpine Southeast
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#6 of 13 in Alpine

Been to Holland Hotel? Share your experiences!