“Fabulous Stay”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Alpine
Pearsall, Texas
“Fabulous Stay”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

For a small boutique hotel, this was a fabulous stay! The room was very comfortable, excellent for the money. Overall the ambiance of the hotel was truly West Texas. The continental breakfast featured delicious, fresh pastry & more. Restaurant had fine dining which we didn't expect. Wonderful & relaxing bar for adult refreshments. Hotel Management, staff, bar & restaurant folks were extremely cordial & obliging

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OriginalCountry
Mark S, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and cannot tell you how much we all appreciate you taking time out of your day to write such a nice review of our hotel and restaurant'! I hope we will have the pleasure of having you again in the future!
Sydney Tucker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Scottsdale
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The New Holland Hotel in Alpine is on the main street through this small Texas town. The lobby has a western design element with a courtyard and restaurant to the right side. We stayed in a standard room and was pleasantly surprised with the layout and design of the room. The bed was super comfortable with earplugs on the side table for the train that travels through town(although we did not have to use them). Service was kind and hospitable. We did have dinner at the Century bar and restaurant (in the hotel) and it was a culinary treat! We had a hamburger, fried green tomatoes and seared pork belly. All three were very good and they do serve the local Big Bend beers which are great as well. We enjoyed the hotel and this small town.

Room Tip: I do know they have a hot tub on in the penthouse and well as, I believe room 214(?). You may want t...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jenniferandsteve
Mark S, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review of our Hotel and restaurant! we are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and dining experience with us and we just wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review for us! we hope you will choose to stay with us again and we look forward to hopefully seeing you again in the future!
Lafayette
Reviewed 6 April 2014

So this hotel was originally built in 1920's and restored several times since. The last restoration was quite recent, the hotel is one of the nicer historic hotels I have stayed at. The lobby is beautiful, period details but freshly painted with a lovely Old West feel to it. Reminds me of La Fonda in Santa Fe but more luxurious.

Pros
Beautiful lobby and period photographs
Good location with small art galleries and stores on the same block
Linens were fine, flat screen tv.
Gourmet continental breakfast in the lobby - quiche, scones, ham and cheese pastries, yogurt, homemade granola, full complement of basics like oatmeal and cold cereal, fruit, high quality coffee.

Cons
Rooms are a bit tight and we could hear the neighbors next door (slightly) due to age of building

The train - it went by 6 times between 9 pm and 7 am and if you are a light sleeper, it will wake you up. This was a problem for my husband as he woke up each time. Unfortunately, he was unable to use the earplugs provided on the bedstand as he couldn't sleep with them in. I work up the first two times and then my brain filtered out the sound so it wasn't a huge problem for me.

I enjoyed my stay and would stay here again if visiting Big Bend but my husband would not as he is a very light sleeper

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back of the building, facing away from the street.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Mark S, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for your review of our Hotel! I apologize that the train kept your husband up, it can be quite a bother to us all here in alpine! the lofts are much better in the back of our hotel for all noise problems, they are more private with thicker walls and are further back from the train noises. We really appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us and we hope to have you and your husband again in the future!
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The Holland Hotel was wonderful! Situated near Big Bend National Park and the MacDonald Conservatory, the hotel was quaint and the staff were super friendly and helpful. Breakfast each day was well-stocked and yummy, and they even had treats out for guests during a movie showing one evening. The rooms are small but they have all of the conveniences you need, including a mini fridge. The only downside: the walls are very thin (it is an old building, after all) and we had very rowdy neighbors one evening. If you are wanting to explore west Texas, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark S, Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you so much for your review of the Holland! we are so very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! (minus the noisy neighbors;).) We cant tell you how much we appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review and we hope you will come and stay with us again real soon!
Round Rock, Texas
Reviewed 31 March 2014

NIce breakfast.very freindly.Alot of trains and loud.sorry Holland, you put me in the front and it kept me awake.The lobby was great with some nice place to catch a nap.
................................................................

• Stayed March 2014
Mark S, General Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
jpelt123,

Thank you for your review and the nice comments on our breakfast and our staff. The trains are loud at times and others time I don't seem to notice them. Come stay with us again and request that you be put out in our manage buildings (the Wright Building and the Lofts) as the train is not so loud.
Stow, Ohio
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Very nice older hotel. Restaurant is nice. Breakfast is a plus. Remodeled fairly recently so enjoy yourself when in Alpine. Right on the main street of town so it is easy to find as well. Good place to stay if you are visiting Big Bend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Mark S, General Manager at Holland Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Dale,
Thank you for taking the time to compliment us and letting us know that your stay was enjoyable.
Happy Travels,
Mark
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel after sorting through the reviews....we left disappointed.
We called ahead to reserve our room, only to find it had been given away less than an hour later upon our arrival. They did find us an equal room although the receptionist appeared confused. We stayed in adjoining rooms with our kids. It's funny to read that the ripped curtain was fixed (previous review from early march) as we too stayed in a room with a torn curtain. Our kids window was cracked so I guess the curtain is not a huge deal......
The breakfast was a nice addition and the coffee was good. The bed was so hard and uncomfortable, I woke up feeling like I slept in a tent....that coupled with the train left me running for a new hotel....which we did.
I appreciate that this is an old property and I do value it's historic nature and even the close proximity to the train. However, the rooms are dirty, lights were burned out, curtains were torn and windows cracked. I think this place could be great but they have some work to do to get it there. I also appreciate that the manager responds to the reviews but don't simply respond....act (for example, change the curtain if you say you did).
We were disappointed :(

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisa K
Lisa,
Thanks for the review, but I'm always surprised when I learn of disappointments after the fact when I am easily accessible at all times. I would have loved to have been given the opportunity to resolve your issues during your stay. As to the integrity of my responses. I have replaced and am replacing the sheers in several rooms and did the one you referred to before I received this review when my housekeeping team alerted me to it (similar issues do occur in multiple rooms).
Again, thank you as a review of this nature always assists me in "raising the bar" for my self and staff.
Mark
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpine
The Maverick Inn
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alpine Southeast
Quarter Circle 7 Hotel
Quarter Circle 7 Hotel
#5 of 13 in Alpine

Been to Holland Hotel? Share your experiences!