“Sweetest little inn in West Texas”
Review of The Maverick Inn

The Maverick Inn
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Alpine
Austin, Texas
“Sweetest little inn in West Texas”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

After a long drive out of Austin on our way to Big Bend, we were lucky enough to have booked a room at the Maverick Inn. Their cute west Texas decor, unique historical artifacts, and super friendly staff are hard to come by in the west Texas desert, let alone in the big city. Our stay was even sweeter when we woke up for the continental breakfast that included their own homemade coffee and granola. If you are headed west, Alpine is a great little town to stop in, and the Maverick Inn is the place you'll wish you'd stayed. :)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
TheMaverickInn, Manager at The Maverick Inn, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Jasmine,
Thank you so much for the review, I could feel your sincerity. I really appreciate your compliments on our breakfast. Please stop in on your next Big Bend adventure. Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Reviewed 10 June 2013

First off, TripAdvisor has this misclassification as a B&B and it is very clearly a motel in the 1930's and 1940's motor court style in that you park right outside your room door.

This motor court was originally built in the late 1930’s by a pioneer ranching family as Grandview Courts, later operated as the Siesta Country Inn, and recently renovated as The Maverick Inn.

I stayed here for several nights in late May while hiking in Davis Mountains State Park. The pet-friendly 21 rooms consist of 3 room types - standard, deluxe and superior. I had reserved a standard king room, but when I checked in I was offered a larger king & queen deluxe room at no additional cost. All rooms and the lobby are no smoking areas.

According to their web site, all rooms feature "signature pillow-top mattresses, Egyptian cotton linens, down comforters, luxury bath linens and amenities, complimentary in-room coffee service and bottled water, Talavera and Mexican glass service ware, flat panel TV’s, mini-refrigerator, microwave and complimentary Wi-Fi." I can attest to the above statement, but I will note that the bedspread in my room had a fairly large and obvious hole in it.

There is a complementary cold continental breakfast daily offering handmade granola and pastries, which I was out too early for both days as it does not open until 8.

The Maverick Inn was OK for my needs, which weren't much, but guests need to be aware of the noise factor here. This small property is sandwiched between US Highway 67/90 and the railroad tracks. Some rooms are right along the highway and the truck and motorcycle noise can be quite loud, but it did quiet down later at night. The train traffic, however, continues periodically all day and night. I am not sure of the schedule, but it seemed like about every hour. As the train approaches town it starts blowing its warning whistle and continues to do so all through town, including right next to The Maverick Inn. The rooms come with ear plugs, but for some people that won't be nearly enough.

Although an interesting experience, the next time I am in the area I will opt for either the Hampton Inn or 1 of the lofts in the Williams Vogt building that are managed by Holland House as I prefer a more modern and quieter facility.

Although I didn't stay there, but did eat 1 dinner there, the renovated lobby, bar, restaurant and courtyard of Holland House are a must see when in Alpine.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank AustinWhitewater
TheMaverickInn, Manager at The Maverick Inn, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Thank you for your review and your historical synopsis...Mark
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Why the heck would anyone give this place four dots. If there were 20 it would not be enough. We stayed there on the way to Big Bend for a hiking trip. We drove back thinking we would try something else,went to Marfa.... nope.... then Marathon.... nope again.We looked at each other and said "Maverick". So we drove back to Alpine. Staff is amazing. Pool was perfect. We were both so sore from hiking so the big tub was just what we needed. I needed a cork screw, the guy at the front desk almost tripped over himself getting it to me. P.S. do yourself a favor and watch the cats.... better than television. And I am not a cat person.

Room Tip: garden bath.... room 54
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank You!! I'm still laughing about the cats and I'm not a cat person either. We are just so glad to have you weigh in for us against the alternatives and that you truly had the pleasant and comfortable time you were seeking. Thanks again...Mark
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

Pros:
Awesome romantic get away for the weekend!
Rooms are spacious and well appointed.
Beds are super nice and linens are clean and top of the line.
Decor is extreme Southwestern, which is my taste. Others may not like as much, but the rooms are tastefully appointed, regardless.
Good off street parking, with a bit of a squeeze for bigger vehicles.
Air conditioning and ceiling fan were great and just right.
Towels were so-so, as were the amount of soap and shampoo supplied. The quality is there though, just add 1 more of each per room and perfection is achieved!
Would love to see bigger, higher quality towels and bath linens supplied.
Hug garden tub that was incredible!
Everything was immaculately clean!
Manager was friendly, kind, helpful and check-in was amoung the easiest I have ever encountered!
The pool and the outdoor lounge area are simply amazing!
Love the little nook community kitchen! Top notch and amazingly stocked!
THANK YOU MANAGER! YOU KNOW HOW TO TREAT GUESTS TO 1ST CLASS SERVICE!!
Top Notch!

Cons:
Towels and shampoo/soap supply per room.
Perhaps a wall seperating toilet from bathtub area.

Overall:
Great place to stay!
Recommended especially for romatic couple weekend get-away. Family reunion gathering spot. Families visiting Ft Davis/Marfa Lights.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank txan
TheMaverickInn, Manager at The Maverick Inn, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Thank you very much for a "sterling" review and input. Just to let you know I am in the process of upgrading the bath linen because I agree with you wholeheartedly. I also like that idea of a partition in those baths. Thank you again, Mark
Cloudcroft, New Mexico
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We stayed on the night of April 29, 2013. It was a great place reminiscent of the the old motor inns. Our room was clean and comfortable. The staff helped us locate someplace to eat. After supper we relaxed at the pool where lounge music was playing. Breakfast was much better than most places. They had fresh pastries from a local bakery and a refrigerator full of different juices and yogurt. We ate on the patio outside the breakfast area. Very nice with flowers growing all around it. The staff was very friendly and we enjoyed visiting with them. We highly recommend this place and will be back!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cheri R
TheMaverickInn, Manager at The Maverick Inn, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Cheri,
Thank you so much and I am so glad y'all had a great time. Knowing the beauty of where you live we really appreciate the compliments on our surroundings. Thank you again and we hope to see you on the next visit...Mark
Flint, Texas
Reviewed 8 May 2013

If in Alpine Texas and looking for a place to stay experience (The Maverick Inn) This Place is Highly Recommended ..Our Family Stay was very pleasant. The complete staff was very nice,and made you want to return. The Maverick also fits the town and makes your stay unique. I myself personally would say this is better then staying in other places.

Room Tip: The staff will find you the perfect room to make your stay pleasant.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Yolanda G
Yolanda,
Thank you so much, especially the family comments! I hope things have calmed down as a whole for y'all and we'll see you for the reunion in 2014! Mark
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I have stayed at "The Marvelous Maverick" many many times and everytime I have been completely satisfied!

The location is central to all of the attractions that far West Texas has to offer and lives up to its name as a place for wanderers. Every room I have stayed in has its own unique flare and ambiance. The rooms are clean and boast an array of amentities.

If you are looking for a great place to stay that is out of the ordinary, please consider "The Maverick Inn". But, if you are looking for another same-old-run-of-the-mill,cookie cutter hotel, then this ain't the place for you!

- Frankie

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cheekee101
TheMaverickInn, Manager at The Maverick Inn, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Gosh Frankie, what can I say but thank you, thank you and thank you! It's always great to have you here and it's so good to have a review from a repeat guest. You've made our day!
Thanks again, Mark
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpine
Holland Hotel
Hotel Saint George
Hotel Saint George
#1 of 4 in Marfa
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alpine Southeast

Been to The Maverick Inn? Share your experiences!