“Bring earplugs and hope your room doesn't smell bad. mine did.”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston-Alvin
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Alvin
“Bring earplugs and hope your room doesn't smell bad. mine did.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

The employees were nice, but our room smelled like someone that stayed there recently violated their no pets policy. The hotel itself and hallway smelled fine, but open up our hotel room door and get the STRONG ODOR of CAT PEE (or something like that - not pleasant). We asked to switch rooms, but were told there were no other rooms with 2 beds available (we had 2 kids with us, so the 4 of us couldn't stay in a room with one bed). I already prepaid for the room, so we decided to stay. The smell was significant (not something they could not obviously notice) and they really should CLEAN the room when they discover something like this, not just rent the room to the next guest. It just shows there was no one there that really cares. If that weren't enough, after going to bed, things got worse. If you check out the hotel's location on Google maps, you'll notice railroad tracks about a block away. Well, about every hour that night, a train came through and BLEW THE TRAIN WHISTLE. I only stayed there one night, so I don't know if this happens every night, but I HEARD SEVERAL TRAINS and their whistles that night about every hour (I'm guessing they have to blow the whistle because of a nearby intersection). Ok, it's not the hotel's fault that I heard a fairly loud train whistle at about 10p, 11p, 12a, etc. while trying to sleep, but an important factor in deciding to book this hotel, so I figured I should share it. Overall, a bad experience. Is it too much to ask for to have a clean smelling room?

Room Tip: bring ear plugs.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Katy, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Overall the facility is convenient, clean and new. The desk staff have been helpful and the rate we have cannot be beat. That said there have been issues.
I.'m on the second two week stay of three that we have scheduled for work. Both times the desk has managed to lose my reservation. On the first trip they put me into a room that had not been readied and had no sheets on the bed. No problem, they put me into a prepared room and then promptly forgot about me. In the fourteen days that I was there housekeeping didn't show up about a third of the time. It isn't cool when you run out of towells or when the garbage can is overflowing. The first time it happened I received an extra 1000 points on their frequent stay program.
This time round I was placed into a room that smells like an old ash tray. I went to make coffee this morning and the pot hadn't been cleaned and was growing mold. I suppose that didn't matter because there was no regular coffee anyway. At this point I'm just going to grin and bear it, I'm tired of complaining.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank YLICOYOTE
Mansfield, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

We were in Alvin to attend our daughters gymnastics meet and choose this hotel based on good reviews. This hotel is great. The rooms are clean and huge! Ours had two queen beds plus a couch that could be pulled out for another bed. Sleep six and have room to move around! The rooms are well appointed with comfy beds, a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. The location is good but there's not a lot in Alvin. The breakfast is good. Not many fruit choices but they do have a pancake maker, pre made omelettes, coffee, juice, toast etc...

Overall really good hotel and one we would stay at again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

This is a nice hotel. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I gave the room rating a three only because they are a little small but clean and well appointed. I was there for a wedding and the staff went above and beyond to accommodate our large party.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Ashleycunn
Cheryl W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston-Alvin, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you so much for the review. We hope when you come back to Alvin, you will choose the Holiday Inn Express and Suites...your home away from home.
Rolla, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

I don't know where to begin but I will try to be brief. My husband and I along with two of his sisters traveled to Alvin, TX the Monday before Christmas to visit his critically ill sister who had been battling lung cancer. We spent 7 nights at the hotel and were treated so wonderful by the staff. Taylor and all the other desk clerks and breakfast attendants asked each day how my husband's sister was doing and kept her and us in their prayers. One of the attendants baked us a delicious loaf of Hawaiian bread. This meant so much to us as we were always hurrying in and out to be with his sister. The Friday after Christmas my husband's sister lost her battle with cancer. That evening while we were out grabbing a bite to eat the attendant had the desk clerk leave a loaf of chocolate bread and some crocheted items in our room. We were so surprised to see the bread and the handmade gift. This was so thoughtful and lifted our spirits. Then the following day an even more tragic event occurred. One of my husband's other sisters hadn't been feeling well and we had to rush her to the ER. She had contracted the H1N1 flu virus and was admitted to an area hospital. The next day she was rushed to the ICU and put on a ventilator. She never recovered and passed away the following Saturday morning. We will never forget the kindness extended to us from everyone at the Holiday Inn Express in Alvin, TX in our time of sorrow.

Room Tip: We chose a suite since there were 4 of us sharing the room. It was very roomy quiet and comfortable...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank S H
We just wanted to write and see how you and the family are doing?
We are praying for you:-)
indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

The hotel was very nice. Got a great rate on Hotwire. Only complaint is the hotel was not busy when we stayed there, but after sight seeing in Galveston for the day we got back to the room and it was not made. But they apologized and gave us goody bags and put us in a slightly upgraded room, which was nice. It was a little confusing to get to the hotel as it did not show up on the GPS. Not many good restaurant choices in the area. The free breakfast was really good!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Just wanted to take the time to thank you for your posts. I thought I had responded but for some reason it never acknowledged. Thanks so much for the feedback.
College Station, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Very neat hotel at a great price. The staff was very friendly and helpful we stayed on the third floor and there was no noise.

Rooms where clean and spacious and the bed was very comfortable.
Enjoyed the free hot breakfast and nice to see the staff took pride in their work.

Could not find fault with anything.
Took a trip down to Galveston, 40 minute drive nice and easy.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Donovan III, just wanted to say thank you for the lovely posts. When are you coming back? We'd love to host you again!

Managment and Staff of the Holiday Inn Express in Alvin