Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston-Alvin
US$60
US$100
Hotels.com
US$63
All reviewsfront deskfree breakfastsausagewould stay here againmusty smelldecent breakfastroom was spacioushoustonboxtilescurtainsworkers
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great price, great room - I've never seen such high ceilings in a hotel before! The staff was amazing...after one night, the front desk staff knew our name and would talk to us and our 4 yr old daughter each time we passed. Breakfast was good and hot and plentiful...very nice hotel. We will always stay here when visiting my family that lives in Alvin.

Room Tip: If travelling with a child, ask for the first floor just past the conference center...there is a a public restroom you can use for when the kid is taking forever in the bath!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Melissa P
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The employees were nice, but our room smelled like someone that stayed there recently violated their no pets policy. The hotel itself and hallway smelled fine, but open up our hotel room door and get the STRONG ODOR of CAT PEE (or something like that - not pleasant). We asked to switch rooms, but were told there were no other rooms with 2 beds available (we had 2 kids with us, so the 4 of us couldn't stay in a room with one bed). I already prepaid for the room, so we decided to stay. The smell was significant (not something they could not obviously notice) and they really should CLEAN the room when they discover something like this, not just rent the room to the next guest. It just shows there was no one there that really cares. If that weren't enough, after going to bed, things got worse. If you check out the hotel's location on Google maps, you'll notice railroad tracks about a block away. Well, about every hour that night, a train came through and BLEW THE TRAIN WHISTLE. I only stayed there one night, so I don't know if this happens every night, but I HEARD SEVERAL TRAINS and their whistles that night about every hour (I'm guessing they have to blow the whistle because of a nearby intersection). Ok, it's not the hotel's fault that I heard a fairly loud train whistle at about 10p, 11p, 12a, etc. while trying to sleep, but an important factor in deciding to book this hotel, so I figured I should share it. Overall, a bad experience. Is it too much to ask for to have a clean smelling room?

Room Tip: bring ear plugs.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Overall the facility is convenient, clean and new. The desk staff have been helpful and the rate we have cannot be beat. That said there have been issues.
I.'m on the second two week stay of three that we have scheduled for work. Both times the desk has managed to lose my reservation. On the first trip they put me into a room that had not been readied and had no sheets on the bed. No problem, they put me into a prepared room and then promptly forgot about me. In the fourteen days that I was there housekeeping didn't show up about a third of the time. It isn't cool when you run out of towells or when the garbage can is overflowing. The first time it happened I received an extra 1000 points on their frequent stay program.
This time round I was placed into a room that smells like an old ash tray. I went to make coffee this morning and the pot hadn't been cleaned and was growing mold. I suppose that didn't matter because there was no regular coffee anyway. At this point I'm just going to grin and bear it, I'm tired of complaining.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank YLICOYOTE
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We were in Alvin to attend our daughters gymnastics meet and choose this hotel based on good reviews. This hotel is great. The rooms are clean and huge! Ours had two queen beds plus a couch that could be pulled out for another bed. Sleep six and have room to move around! The rooms are well appointed with comfy beds, a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. The location is good but there's not a lot in Alvin. The breakfast is good. Not many fruit choices but they do have a pancake maker, pre made omelettes, coffee, juice, toast etc...

Overall really good hotel and one we would stay at again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

This is a nice hotel. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I gave the room rating a three only because they are a little small but clean and well appointed. I was there for a wedding and the staff went above and beyond to accommodate our large party.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Ashleycunn
Cheryl W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston-Alvin, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you so much for the review. We hope when you come back to Alvin, you will choose the Holiday Inn Express and Suites...your home away from home.