“A+ Customer Service, A+ Facilities, F Design and Layout”

Residence Inn Amarillo
Ranked #10 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
Medina, Ohio
“A+ Customer Service, A+ Facilities, F Design and Layout”
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We spent a night in June 2013 at this Residence Inn in Amarillo while passing through on our way home to Ohio. It would be difficult to beat the exceptional customer service we received from the gentleman at the front desk on the evening of our check-in. Very kind, prompt, helpful, and personally delivered a roll a way bed to our room within a couple of minutes of our request. The front desk lady the following morning was also very kind. Additionally, the breakfast attendant was kind and pleasant.

Our room was spotless, as were the common areas of the hotel. The breakfast was fresh, hot, and plentiful. Most importantly to me, the coffee was excellent!

We had a 1 bedroom suite. 1 room had a king size bed, while a separate living room had a pull out sofa, 2 person table, and a small work desk. Even before we had the roll a way bed delivered, there was virtually no room to maneuver inside the room. The bathroom was small, the separate sink area was small, the closet was small .. everything in the room was small. Then, once the roll a way was delivered - forget about it. We were climbing on and over the beds, pull out sofa, and couch just to move. Complete BS in my opinion. The breakfast seating area had only a few tables, and the 'lobby' area was more like the size of a small doctor's waiting room. Again, complete BS in my opinion. Also gone is the small shop or room that housed the snacks and drink and medicines sold by the hotel. Here, it is was just a small 'bookshelf' next to a cooler along the wall of the 'lobby'. Back in the old days, the apartment - style Residence Inns had such large rooms, lobbies, and etc. that there was plenty of space and room to move. With each prototype design of their hotels since then, the rooms have gotten smaller, and smaller, and smaller, etc. For $159.00 / night + tax, I would expect something bigger than the size of a shoe box. Due to sizes of the rooms, lobbies, and breakfast area, I'd much rather stay in a Drury Inn, Staybridge Suites, or Homewood Suites. In the past, I use to look for the nearest Residence Inn to stay in because of the sizes of the rooms and common areas. Now, I look to them only when the nearest Drury, Staybridge, or Homewood hotels are booked (as was this case).

Please don't get me wrong. The layout and the design of the hotel is not the fault of the folks who work there. Like I said, they were the best of the best when it came to being friendly and helpful. The breakfast continues to be good. Cleanliness is not an issue. In my eyes, it comes down to Marriott needing to find a new prototype architect to come up with a design much more user friendly than what it is now.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Wahoo__bMedina
AmarilloRI_GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Amarillo, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff and the cleanliness of our hotel. We pride ourselves in great customer service. All of our team members truly care about our guests and I will make sure they know how pleased you were. I apologize that our hotel did not meet your needs as far as the amount of space in your room and our breakfast area. Please know that the Residence Inn Amarillo has 2 bedroom suites that may better serve your needs if you should find yourself in the area again.

Lorrie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed 14 June 2013

We made it into town early on 6/14/13 and called just to see if early check in was a possibility, although we figured it wouldn't be. We were pleasantly surprised when Tabitha was able to make this work for our family. This was great news, as we needed a little down time to relax after a busy morning. When we arrived, we were greeted by a super friendly front desk, checked in, received a goody bag full of treats, and were headed to our room, all in under two minutes. We needed an extra blanket, which was brought up to our room very quickly. Every single staff member we came in contact with was very kind with great customer service skills. The room was neat and tidy, and we LOVED the super plush king size bed and updated décor.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 May 2013 via mobile

I stay at Hilton and Marriott properties because I know what I am getting..... Normally.
This hotel has nice staff, and I believe they try really hard...
I was in the 2nd floor of this pet friendly property and the minute I walked into my room I smelled string urine odor ... I told front desk and they offered to move me to another room but couldnt guarantee me it would smell better do I stayed. Then breakfast was ice cold eggs and slices if freezing cold Canadian bacon.
The outdoor sitting area was very nice with comfortable outdoor furniture and fire feature.
All in all I am disappointed with the hotel but impressed with staff and their eagerness to serve. May need Managrment change, or maybe I just need to stick with Hilton...

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank ROTCA
Omak, Washington
Reviewed 13 April 2013

After a long day on the road from Branson, MO it was a very pleasant to find this clean, friendly, comfortable Residence Inn along I-40 We had 4 adults and 5 month old infant so worked great in 2 bedroom unit. Excellent breakfast in the am.

Room Tip: We had very quiet room on 3rd floor
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 30 March 2013

We stayed here for one evening on our way to another destination. Since we had 5 adults and two dogs, we stayed in one of the 2 bedroom suites. We all fit very well into the suite. The room was very clean and the front office staff was excellent. Overall, it was a very good hotel and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
dallas
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We secured a one-night stay here on our way to Santa Fe and basically just picked it because it allowed dogs and we'd earned a free night stay voucher at a Marriott property. After a long six-hour drive we were pleasantly surprised at how nice/updated the place was. We were greeted by a very friendly staff and the room was really nice/updated. It was nice and big and the fold out couch had a chase extension which made it more comfy for our two kiddos. The free breakfast in the morning had decent choices and the kids really enjoyed the make your own waffles with several topping choices. Will definitely stay here again if ever passing through Amarillo and recommend to others.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Princeton, NJ
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Pro's - updated decor, very friendly staff, includes breakfast and dinner which was surprisingly basic, simple and ample ( fresh mixed salad and chicken cutlets). Spa with precor machines w tv. Suites. Sink outside of bathroom. Great for families with young kids or teens. Felt very private and nice. I did not use the kitchen area so no comments there but looks great.

Con's - looks clean because newly updated and for the most part it is clean. But floor was sticky and showed streak marks from perhaps not fresh water. Gym equipment was dusty. Room smelled from room deodorizer which may be connected to the vents. I felt it in my throat. Bed too soft for my preference. No cups at sink and only one washcloth. ( minor issue of course)

I would hesitate coming here if you have asthma or similar. If you are generally easy going and not overly fussy like me, you will very much enjoy this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from main road.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
AmarilloRI_GM, Manager at Residence Inn Amarillo, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are glade you enjoyed our breakfast and evening social hour. We apologize for not having the correct amount of washcloths in your room. I have spoke with our housekeeping team about the sticky floor and the strong room deodorizer. We apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused but appreciate the feedback to better serve our guest.