“Rude service, mediocre rooms”
Review of Sleep Inn Airport

Sleep Inn Airport
Ranked #22 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
“Rude service, mediocre rooms”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I wasn't expecting the four seasons, but some measure of professionalism and civility might have made this hotel palatable. If this were my hotel, I'd seriously reconsider who mans the night desk.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed 2 December 2011

We had planned to stay at a different hotel but it was sold out for the dates we needed, so the receptionist recommended the Sleep Inn.

I was immediately impressed with the courtesy and friendliness of the gentleman at the front desk. Check-in was quick and efficient, even though the phone was constantly ringing with others wanting to make reservations.

Although our rooms were small, they were spotlessly clean. The bathroom was very small, and had an oversize shower. If you need a bathtub, you are out of luck. The bed was very comfortable, the pillows were fluffy, and the internet was fast. If I had to complain about anything, it would be the outdated television. The tv is old, but it worked just fine.

Breakfast is offered, and it is the standard hotel breakfast fare. The Wall Street Journal is provided and a small business center is located in the lobby. A separate sitting area is provided both downstairs in the lobby and upstairs above the lobby. The hotel has an indoor pool but we did not check it out. I did not notice any on-site security guards, but we felt safe and secure at all times. The parking lot is well lit and the outer hotel doors are locked at all times, but accessible by swiping your card to gain entry.

There is not a restaurant on site, but a Cracker Barrel is located right across the parking lot. Other restaurants are located only a short distance away. The Quarter Horse museum is within walking distance.

I have stayed at many hotels costing twice as much but were only half as good as our room at the Sleep Inn in Amarillo. If clean and quiet are important to you, then this hotel should be right at the top of your list.

Room Tip: The staff is friendly and willing to do whatever it takes to make your stay a good one.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank ranchmum
Amarillo, Texas, United States
Reviewed 27 October 2011

I stayed here for a weekend. I have never had problems with anything. The stay was excellent. The breakfast was great too. When i read some reviews on here I thought it was not worth it, but some of these people just want the hotel rooms to be like their house. Which hotel does not have problems. No one keep a hotel perfect. Some of these people that complained are wrong and they should just stay home and not travel. My stay was wonderful. I will come back again. :)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We ended up at this hotel after a VERY bad experience at a hotel down the street. The room was clean, which was good. There was only a shower though, which was fine for us, but for someone with small kids it might be a problem. However, we did have issues with the air conditioner, which would not keep up. Also, the pool area seemed dirty. The water in the "hot" tub was 88 degrees and yellow...from what, I think that I would rather not know. I am glad that we only stayed here one night because I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank NikkiP74
fort worth
Reviewed 3 July 2011

All other hotels were booked and we were just passing through. The girl behind the desk was really friendly and helpful and humorous at 1 in the morning. The rooms were extremely small, but served it's purpose, but I have to say this place was REALLY CLEAN!. breakfast was certainly doable no complaints. When we left the housekeeping was obviously cleaning all the rooms as they should, and that made me happy!

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank lisajarrett
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 25 May 2011

Thought this was the #1 top rated Sleep Inn. Wrong one!!! Rooms were small and dark, had no lamps only overhead lights. Sink in corner of room. Worse nightmare!?? Got trapped in a small shower stall when the glass door to it got stuck. Standing naked in a small place where no one can hear you scream is a hideous experience. I pounded and pounded on the glass door a dozen times or more to unjam it. I didn't care if it broke or not at this point (it didn't). Finally escaped. Great way to start the day. :( I shuttered to think if my elderly father had been the one stuck in there. Think twice about staying in Room 105. Breakfast was OK, nothing to write home about.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank TasteGuide
Fresno, California
Reviewed 21 May 2011

I booked the Sleep Inn because it was the top-rated Amarillo hotel on Trip Advisor. Unfortunately, I didn't look closely enough. The top-rated Amarillo hotel was the Sleep Inn & Suites, not the Sleep Inn Airport.

Though dingy and dark, the hotel was clean enough and had adequate appointments. The fellow at the front desk was efficient and reasonably friendly. The room appointments were adequate - somewhat better than Motel 6 but not what I normally want. The bed was adequate, but the pillows were pitiful. The television was a CRT with many channels but less-than-perfect picture. The wireless Internet was free, but I couldn't make it work. The bathroom had only a shower, but it was one of the nicer and certainly larger showers I've seen in a hotel of this sort.

I won't choose the Sleep Inn Airport again. I believe I could have done much better for the price. But all in all it was an acceptable place for my two nights in Amarillo.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business