“Great place for the money”

Kiva Hotel Amarillo
Ranked #61 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed 5 October 2012

I stayed here while working. I had the wife, kid and dog with me, therefore they put me in the old part of the hotel that hadn't been remodled. The chair was torn and stained and the paint was old, but, the room was clean. I went in a room where another guy that was working with me stayed in the remodled part and it was very nice. The staff was very friendly. I would stay here again if I am in Amarillo.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank walts481

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Front desk was extremly helpfull. Lounge was very nice with good food. The hot tub and indoor pool was nice. Not enough pool towels at swiming pool, while others had like 10 towels, for 4 people, thier were not any left for us. All the other bad reviews are brutally honest and accurate about all the negativity on the rest of the hotel. However we stayed on a Saturday night and the hotel was full. Not sure if I would stay thier again??? Pretty much comes down to YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I would honestly have to say that this motel has probably never been remodled or upgraded since it was knew and im going to guess its over 30 years old. No phones in the room.

Room Tip: Expect the worst and hope for the best and you might be okay with it?
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank K9SONTHELOOSE
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I didn't think it was bad. You can tell it used to be a very nice hotel at one point before it was sold and put into business again by somebody else.It looked like it might have been a Ramada Inn or a Holiday Inn at one time. The place definitely had a creepy "The Shining" vibe to it I thought.
The rooms were mediocre. Nothing special but we had no complaints .
If my memory serves me correctly, we had eggs and bacon for breakfast. A couple of staff members sat there and cooked the food in front of us as we waited at our table.
As far as the staff goes, we had no problems with them.
Overall I thought it was worth the measly 45 bucks (plus tax) it cost to stay there, and to be honest with you, I thought it was a nice change from your typical run of the mill hotel. It's become a memorable curiosity

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank OHTravel_Junkies
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I was really tired and needed a place to stop in and catch some winks during a road trip. OMG, what a bad decision did I make. This joint was one of if not the worst place that I've ever had an opportunity to ever stay at in my whole life. The bed was nasty (I ended up just sleeping on the floor). My chair in the room was worn and stained on the arms, disgusted. For the price that I payed to sleep here, I might as well have slept in my car. The bath tub had a big yellow stain going from one end to the other. There was no vent in the bathroom and the toilet kept getting stopped up. It advertised that there was a microwave and fridge in every room... Where? Went to get some ice for a soda that I had and they had the most unsanitary thing, an open ice machine where you reach down in it and scoop your own ice. Just nasty, so anyone no matter what they just previously did, without washing or sanitizing their hands was able to contaminate all the ice that they stuck their nasty hands in. This is a total disappointing experience for me and I wish that there really was a way to complain and get my money back. Oh yeah and I have to mention the stains on my bed sheets. Dayum I was stupid for staying here. Totally disappointed.

Room Tip: Never Ever Ever make a stop at this joint right here. It lures you in with location and the look of...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Dayzmuxic24
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Rude staff, worn out carpets, smells like smoke, bad breakfast buffet, murky pool, awful bathroom, dirty linens, moldy walls, the list goes on and on. There should be a zero star option. By FAR the worst hotel I have ever visited. They should have paid me to stay there.
Beware! I even called the Health Department and the Chamber of Commerce about this dump. (But that calling the Kiva a dump would be an upgrade.) I would't go here if I were a crack addict comtemplating suicide. It's THAT bad!

Room Tip: Buy a tent and stay in the parking lot.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank liviinnorman
Reviewed 30 November 2011

This was one of the worst hotels we have ever stayed in. The sheets and bedspread were badly stained. The bathroom tub/shower was so slippery, we could barely stand. There was a bar on the side of the shower wall that had been attached at the top and bottom but the bottom attachment was completely separated from the wall making it extremely unsafe. The shower head hung straight down so that we could not have taken a decent shower if everything else had been fine. Electrical outlets didn't work, curtains covering one door were hanging down, the blinds on the door that goes to the street were so bent and battered, anybody could look into the room. The ice machine didn't work, the water fountain didn't work. This place was terrible, stay away! Take a look at my photos!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 October 2011

We only stayed here because of the bar and dancing.Had a fun night in the bar but a nightmare in the room.
There was a leak through the roof which meant we had to change rooms at midnight. The room it's self was terrible. Grimy, old, decaying, need I go on? It really is a shame as it was obviously a nice hotel at sometime. Go to the Comfort Suites down the road and walk to the bar. WISH we had.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple