“This place needs help”

Ranked #61 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
Chicago, Illinois
“This place needs help”
Reviewed 1 February 2013

Dark, dingy and old, old, old in the worst way. Room only surface clean but linens okay. On the other hand, the sheets came loose immediately. I wish they had heard of fitted sheets. Hallway from the parking lot was really dull and battered. Did have hot tub and useable pool. Front desk lady cheerful. Suggested I take the $5.00 upgrade to the newly remodeled and I did, I hate to think what the $5,00 less rooms were like. Basic breakfast was free until 9:30. But you had better get there early. I heard the unpleasant cook tell a guest at 9:16A (she told her that it was already 9:16) that no hot breakfast was available since she had already started to clean up. I will avoid this one in the future.

Room Tip: $5.00 extra for an attrium room did nothing to make my stay enjoyable. But if these are the better...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ndonovan47WPolk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Joplin, Missouri
Reviewed 23 January 2013

My husband and I picked this hotel from a coupon book. Were informed that to get the special rate we would be placed in back in unrenovated area of hotel. But for $10 more we could be placed in the "newer" part. It this was the newer part, I cannot even imagine what the "older" part looked like. You could tell at one time this was a very nice hotel, but not anymore!! We were on way back from Phoenix and exhausted so we stayed. Everything about this hotel is filthy, rundown. Should have left!! Makes me want an iphone so I could read reviews before checking into a hotel on the road!!

Room Tip: There is no good room in this hotel!!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Nancy083012

Travellers are raving about these Amarillo hotels

Bronte, Texas
Reviewed 5 October 2012

I stayed here while working. I had the wife, kid and dog with me, therefore they put me in the old part of the hotel that hadn't been remodled. The chair was torn and stained and the paint was old, but, the room was clean. I went in a room where another guy that was working with me stayed in the remodled part and it was very nice. The staff was very friendly. I would stay here again if I am in Amarillo.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank walts481
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Front desk was extremly helpfull. Lounge was very nice with good food. The hot tub and indoor pool was nice. Not enough pool towels at swiming pool, while others had like 10 towels, for 4 people, thier were not any left for us. All the other bad reviews are brutally honest and accurate about all the negativity on the rest of the hotel. However we stayed on a Saturday night and the hotel was full. Not sure if I would stay thier again??? Pretty much comes down to YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I would honestly have to say that this motel has probably never been remodled or upgraded since it was knew and im going to guess its over 30 years old. No phones in the room.

Room Tip: Expect the worst and hope for the best and you might be okay with it?
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank K9SONTHELOOSE
Lima, Ohio
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I didn't think it was bad. You can tell it used to be a very nice hotel at one point before it was sold and put into business again by somebody else.It looked like it might have been a Ramada Inn or a Holiday Inn at one time. The place definitely had a creepy "The Shining" vibe to it I thought.
The rooms were mediocre. Nothing special but we had no complaints .
If my memory serves me correctly, we had eggs and bacon for breakfast. A couple of staff members sat there and cooked the food in front of us as we waited at our table.
As far as the staff goes, we had no problems with them.
Overall I thought it was worth the measly 45 bucks (plus tax) it cost to stay there, and to be honest with you, I thought it was a nice change from your typical run of the mill hotel. It's become a memorable curiosity

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank OHTravel_Junkies
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I was really tired and needed a place to stop in and catch some winks during a road trip. OMG, what a bad decision did I make. This joint was one of if not the worst place that I've ever had an opportunity to ever stay at in my whole life. The bed was nasty (I ended up just sleeping on the floor). My chair in the room was worn and stained on the arms, disgusted. For the price that I payed to sleep here, I might as well have slept in my car. The bath tub had a big yellow stain going from one end to the other. There was no vent in the bathroom and the toilet kept getting stopped up. It advertised that there was a microwave and fridge in every room... Where? Went to get some ice for a soda that I had and they had the most unsanitary thing, an open ice machine where you reach down in it and scoop your own ice. Just nasty, so anyone no matter what they just previously did, without washing or sanitizing their hands was able to contaminate all the ice that they stuck their nasty hands in. This is a total disappointing experience for me and I wish that there really was a way to complain and get my money back. Oh yeah and I have to mention the stains on my bed sheets. Dayum I was stupid for staying here. Totally disappointed.

Room Tip: Never Ever Ever make a stop at this joint right here. It lures you in with location and the look of...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Dayzmuxic24
Norman, ok
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Rude staff, worn out carpets, smells like smoke, bad breakfast buffet, murky pool, awful bathroom, dirty linens, moldy walls, the list goes on and on. There should be a zero star option. By FAR the worst hotel I have ever visited. They should have paid me to stay there.
Beware! I even called the Health Department and the Chamber of Commerce about this dump. (But that calling the Kiva a dump would be an upgrade.) I would't go here if I were a crack addict comtemplating suicide. It's THAT bad!

Room Tip: Buy a tent and stay in the parking lot.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo