“Not worth the price”

Sleep Inn & Suites West Medical Center
Ranked #7 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We booked this hotel room based on all the wonderful reviews here. We only stayed one evening on our trip and I left feeling very disappointed. From check in - when we arrived the elevator was not working. We were pleasantly surprised by the decor of the lobby: very modern. We were offered no help getting our bags up the stairs and were provided with no time frame as to when the elevator would be working again. in the hallway in front of our room was a large dirty laundry basket that never moved during our entire stay. Once we got to the room I will say that it was just alright. The walls were all stained and scuffed and everything just seemed very worn (this hotel has only been open 18 months). The fridge in the room was incredibly loud - we had to unplug it. In general, there was no soundproofing done in this hotel. We could hear everything in the hallway, in the rooms next door, we knew when someone was showering or using the toilet. I was woken the next morning by housekeeping knocking next door. The bathroom at first glance is nicely upgraded, but after using it you realize that its hardly functional. They've done an open shower concept that simply allows water to splash all over your bathroom floor and they don't provide adequate shower storage for soaps/wash towels. The most infuriating part of our stay was definitely dealing with the internet. The hotel claims to provide high speed internet - it doesn't. The internet connection was unbelievably slow and the quality was terrible. Web pages didn't load completely and streaming video was impossible. We ran a speed test and this connection received an "F" and ranked below the national average from speedtest.net. Bottom line - we had only 8 hours before left an AMAZING Marriott in downtown Tulsa, OK where we spent almost 40 dollars LESS than this hotel. There was NOTHING about the Sleep Inn that could compare to the high quality, high level of service, cleanliness, and style that was provided at our last place. I will never stay here again. I would rather spend the $140 a night and stay at a Marriott.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank davidaatut

Reviewed 12 May 2011

I would have never thought to stay here had it not been for the other reviews. Thank you! It really was a nice place to stay. Nicely decorated, clean, good swimming pool/spa and friendly staff. Plus, great location. Breakfast was very good too. All around a good place for an overnighter with a good rate. I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank sterrez
Reviewed 3 May 2011

This is an odd property. We had two queen beds in a room sized for one, so the bedroom was extremely cramped. The bathroom was almost as large as the bedroom. Easy on and off the freeway. Slept well. Extremely sophisticated decor. Complimentary breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2011

I was traveling through Amarillo with my daughters and mother-in-law. This is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in for such a great price. The room was furnished well (the extra chair by the bed made it a little crowded though). The room was clean, decorated nicely, it had a nice big flat-screen tv, nice refrigerator and microwave the bathroom was veryclean, nice and big.

I had seen some bad reviews of this place so almost didn't go with it, but after reading the bad reviews, I realized people were being a bit picky. I had no problem with the staff and when making reservations, people should check to see if pets are allowed.

This will definitely be our choice for any future trips to or through Amarillo.

Room Tip: Better price without reservation
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2011

We will be traveling through Amarillo on a regular basis, and this is the hotel at which we will ALWAYS stay. Check in was a pleasure. We had just completed a 10 hour drive, and Sam, at the desk was able to direct us to several restaurants that were conveniently located.
The hotel itself is meticulously maintained, the rooms absolutely clean, and the beds are new and comfortable.
Breakfast is also included in a very reasonable room rate, and the breakfast was just fine. Since the hotel is located on I-40, and we were able to have breakfast right in the hotel, we were able to drive right onto the highway with ease.
I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank crosscreek7
Reviewed 12 April 2011

My sister and I stayed at the Sleep Inn on our trip to Dallas. Kudos to Sam and DJ who was there to check us in...They were the best. They printed out maps for us to easily get to the destinations that we wanted to visit while in Amarillo. The rooms were nice and clean and I am a very picky hotelier. I don't like to stay in older run down hotels. I can't say enough about how nice this place was...there was even an indoor pool and hot tub. Breakfast was wonderful. I would certainly stay here again if I ever went back to the Amarillo area.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Happy we chose this hotel near the hospitals in Amarillo. Smartly decorated, bedding new, very clean,breakfast good enough, near restaurants and it was a very resonable rate.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple