“Nice Overnight in Amarillo”

Sleep Inn & Suites West Medical Center
Ranked #8 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My wife and I were on our way home from Santa Fe, NM, but we wanted to see the TEXAS play at Palo Duro Canyon, so we stayed the night at the Sleep Inn. After driving for several hours, this hotel was just what we needed. The room was modern and clean, with a really good AC. The staff was friendly and helpful, answering questions and providing directions to the canyon. The breakfast was the usual hotel fair, but it was just what we needed to start the day. We will stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 894macj
Trevor R, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites West Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We hope that during your travels you will find the chance to stay at another great Sleep Inn hotel. If you ever find yourself in Amarillo again we would love to have the chance to serve you again. Safe Travels.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I relied on TripAdvisor reviews before choosing this hotel and was happy I did. This is also the second time we have stayed at a Sleep Inn and once again we were pleased with our decision to stay here.

The building itself appears new and modern. The employee at the front desk was welcoming and friendly and we were treated to bottled water once we checked in. The lobby itself was very clean and inviting.

Our room was very clean and we liked the simple yet fresh décor. Our room had a large bathroom, a small closet with an iron and ironing board, a small microwave and mini-fridge, and a one-cup coffee maker complete with Wolfgang Puck coffee. Bonus! There was also a long desk and a flat-screen television. All appliances were easy to operate and worked well.

One feature we liked was how the beds were higher off the ground than normal. The beds were comfortable and the height made them feel even more plush.

Similarly, the shower head was placed up high and the ceilings seemed high and lofty. There were plenty of clean, fresh towels, and shampoo, conditioner, and lotion were provided. Good water pressure, too.

When I saw that our room was situated across from the elevator, I was initially concerned that perhaps we would hear noise from the elevator or people walking to and from it. I was wrong. Our room was very quiet and we never heard anything or anyone. There are also handy buttons that allow you to notify the staff if you do not want to be disturbed or if your room is ready to be cleaned. It was a nice change from the usual placards you usually have to hang on a doorknob.

The breakfast buffet was very nice with a good selection of hot and cold foods and we enjoyed the waffle maker shaped like the state of Texas. A friendly fellow patron even helped me make the waffle. I normally do not make waffles but could not resist when I saw the neat shape, and he was kind enough to turn the waffle maker after I poured the batter. There were a handful of tables but the nearby banquet room was open which allowed for more seating. It filled up quickly!

Similar to the other Sleep Inn where we stayed, this place is very clean and comfortable but very compact. Our room had many great features but the overall size of the room was on the smaller side. For example, if we wanted to use the desk and placed the chair in front of the desk, there would be little to no room to walk around the chair from one side of the room to the other. The one-cup coffee maker was placed on the top shelf above the microwave and mini-fridge but the cord would not reach the outlet so it had to be moved or relocated to the bathroom in order to be plugged in. It is not a complaint, just something to note if one is looking for a large room. Spacious it is not, but it is modern, spotless, and very comfy.

It bears noting that we stayed here during a holiday weekend, and during our breakfast an employee noted that one item was still cooking but would be placed out as soon as possible. The regular coffee at the buffet also ran dry rather quickly. We later noticed a sign at the front desk indicating there were no vacancies, so I think perhaps it was just a busy holiday weekend and that explained the minor issues with the breakfast buffet. The employee was kind to notify everyone and she was doing her best to do many things at once.

This is located next door to an Outback Steakhouse and close to Pizza Hut so it is nice to have the option of walking to a restaurant if you are road weary. It is right off Interstate 40 and easy to enter and exit.

Overall, we had a great experience and would stay here again. It has the feel of a higher-end hotel but is very reasonably priced.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ZXZX19

It is always a pleasure to read and respond to our hotel guest reviews. I am so happy that you had a great time at the Sleep Inn and Suites. There is nothing my team likes more than to read good reviews about us. Each and every one good or bad is important to us. We hope that we have the chance to see you again. Safe Travels.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We were extremely pleased with our stay at this motel. Very clean and very welcoming. The bed was comfortable, and everything in the room was in apple pie order. The breakfast room is large, and there were many choices. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gay O

I am a big fan of Apple Pie as well and I am glad that we held up to the Apple Pie way of measuring. We want all our guests to leave us after a great and positive experience. I am so glad we were able to do that for you. We hope to have the chance to serve you again soon. Safe Travels.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We enjoyed our stay! The hotel is neat and clean, bedding was so comfy and the A/C worked great! Our room also had a fridge and microwave. Trevor, the manager, was extremely personable and professional. This hotel is located between a Pizza Hut sports bar and Outback Steakhouse. It was so nice to walk next door for dinner instead of having to drive somewhere. Breakfast was great and the breakfast area was spotless. When passing through Amarillo we will definitely stay here again!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jackie Y

Thank you so much for staying with us at the Sleep Inn and Suites. We want all out guests to come away with nothing but a positive experience. I am so glad that we were able to deliver on that. I hope that as you travel we will have the chance to serve you again. Safe Travels

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Quiet, clean, comfortable and pleasant staff. Breakfast was good. Pool was small, but sufficient.
Vending machines need to take dollar bills or credit cards. We had a great night! Our second experience with sleep inn & suites, this place is just as awesome as the one in Shreveport.

Room Tip: 3rd floor was great! On the north side, but still quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for being a loyal Sleep Inn traveler. I am so glad that we were able to make a great impression along with our sister property in Shreveport as well. We hope to have the chance to serve you again soon. Safe Travels.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I generally stay at another hotel when driving through Amarillo but after reading some disturbing reviews about it I decided to try the Sleep Inn & Suites. I have found my new spot in Amarillo. I can't say one even mildly negative comment about the property. It's sparkling clean, has wonderful bedding, attentive and friendly employees, a terrific, large walk-in shower … and a good breakfast buffet the next morning with drinkable coffee! What more could I ask for? How about a great restaurant with a gluten-free menu and kick-*ss margaritas within walking distance (like two doors down)? Got that too! Okay … I'm sold. And oh yes, I had a room right across from the elevator and was a bit concerned about that but I didn't hear a thing.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

What a great review of our hotel. We begin everyday working towards reviews like this. Although we cannot please everyone we sure try to make sure EVERYONE has a pleasant stay. Thank you for your review of our hotel and may you have safe travels in the future.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

and was very impressed.....hotel smelled so brand new and fresh when we walked in. Room was awesome...love the doorbells!! This was the last night of a two-week motorcycle trip so we looked a little rough when we walked in but were greeted very warmly and welcomed with bottles of ice water. We also were recognized for the 1st time as elite Choice members. Hotel was quiet - could have slept much later if we didn't need to hit the road early. Breakfast was standard choices - no complaints.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Trevor R, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites West Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay. We want all out guests to have a great experience as you did. I look forward to being able to serve you again soon. Safe Travels.