“You are crazy if you don't stay here!!!”

Courtyard by Marriott Amarillo Downtown
Ranked #7 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed 16 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Ambassador on our way to Colorado from Texas because it was mentioned by everyone as the best place to stay. It was old, decorated weird, felt unclean and kind of creepy. We are pretty easy to please so for us to not like something means its pretty bad. We decided to try the Courtyard Downtown Amarillo on the way home. It was GREAT! The location is great with one fun places across the street (wine bar, Mexican restaurant, bakery and Italian restaurant). The rooms are VERY nice with a fridge/bar area, nice flat screens, modern decor, large bathroom and soft beds. The lobby is decorated equally as nice with a little library area, computers, sitting area with flat screens, market and little restaurant selling Starbucks, wine, food etc. very similar to the Aloft style. The hotel is in an old/historic building but the decor is modern. Not to mention the lady at the front desk was super helpful. I can't figure out why this place isn't listed as the number one place in Amarillo to stay? We would def stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank eillac2003

Reviewed 27 February 2012

Nice hotel, excellent staff/service. This place is true to the Marriott brand. Don't miss a stay here if in Amarillo!

1  Thank Dc2011dc
Reviewed 21 February 2012

The hotel had nice rooms and even a Bistro next to the lobby. The downtown location left a bit to be desired. They're still trying to restore this downtown area, so maybe in a couple of years the location will be more desirable. Not a bad place for an overnight stay. It would be nice if the Bistro were open longer than it is. It was only open early in the morning and later in the evening.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Wayne B
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Clean room with a comfortable bed. My son and I stayed overnight and had a good, healthy breakfast in the morning. Easy to get on and off the Interstate and 287.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank JuliusAndrew
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Had a great stay at the Courtyard Amarillo Downtown last weekend. The hotel is almost brand new, very nice (and very cool), great beds, clean, gym on the second floor, and great light in southern facing rooms (I recommend an upgrade to the SE corner of the building). The room's ergonomics were great for getting some work done, watching a little football on the flat screen, and entertaining my friends SK, Hugh and Josh.

Although the service level expected to be low at this budget brand, the manager was kind enough to have a bottle of distilled water (as requested) in the room upon my arrival. Convenient parking building, but no elevator (3 stories tall).

Cool wine bar (Crush) that seems as if it belongs in Portland, OR and not West Texas across the street and a couple of other clubs, as well as a couple of places to avoid at night (ask at front desk).

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank feferman
Reviewed 3 January 2012

This Courtyard is in a converted historic bank building in downtown Amarillo. We stayed here on the way home from skiing in Taos. It's a great stop-off coming from Dallas/Houston on the way to New Mexico or Colorado. Hotel is easy in-and-out even though it is downtown.

The finish-out of this property is excellent. The lobby is bright, open, and inviting. The rooms are first-rate. We saw a regular king room (which is a nice, oversized room) but were upgraded to a suite. Ours was a corner suite. The living room was large, bedroom was a nice size (with windows and two sides), and the bathroom was big with the vanity in a separate room from toilet and bath/shower combo. I loved the windows in the bathroom.

TVs were excellent. Both were large with a great selection of HD channels (the best I've seen in any hotel so far).

We had breakfast in the hotel for convenience. It was good, but a bit overpriced.

Overall, this is a very nice property that I will definitely stay at next time I'm in Amarillo.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank TraveltogetherDallas
Reviewed 31 December 2011

I booked this hotel three months in advance based on TripAdvisor reviews. The hotel is very pretty. However, on Christmas night, it was packed. Our adjoining room request could not be honored, and they wanted to split the family on different floors. We politely refused, and we were given a regular room along with a handicapped room down the hall. We took what we could get because we checked in around 8:00 pm, we could tell the hotel was full, and the clientele was rowdy. We wanted to get our son out of the tipsy crowd. First, we walked into the non-handicapped room, and were repelled by the smell. I went into the bathroom and looked around to see if I could find the problem. The toilet lid was up, and I reached out to put it down and came away with a hand smeared with feces. We calmly called the front desk and they told us to come down and they would change our room. The only option, again, was to put our family on different floors, so we reluctantly decided just to clean the room. I stayed in the other room with my son, and about 11, after listening to a car alarm in the hotel parking lot blare for thirty minutes or so, again tiredly and calmly called the front desk. The young man at the front desk said he did not know what to do, and he actually took the phone outside so I could hear how loud it was for him. We were too tired after an eight hour drive to look for another place to stay, but given there were no apologies, no distress from the staff, no indication this was not the norm, I would not recommend this hotel for families, or any sober person, at least on a holiday.

• Stayed: December 2011