Courtyard by Marriott Amarillo Downtown
US$90
Country Inn
US$107
HolidayInn.com
All reviewshistoric buildingparking garagefisk buildingcorner roompolk streetbank buildingtypical courtyardwithin walking distancebeautiful hotelplace to staythe air conditioningbusiness triproom was spaciouswould definitely stay here againan upgradesanta fepalo duro canyon
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I've stayed at several Courtyards over the years. Everyone that I had been to, until now, had an actual Courtyard. They were usually 2-3 story properties built around a courtyard with a pool and amenities. They had free continental breakfasts every morning. So I was a little shocked to be booked into a Marriott Courtyard that had NO courtyard. And no pool. And no free breakfast. I was on vacation, won a trip, and when offered the chance to stay at the Marriott Courtyard I said yes. My bad; it never occurred to me to check to see that this Marriott Courtyard would be like all the others I had stayed at. When you stay at a chain you expect the brand name service.

To top it off, not only was there nothing to do at the hotel except drink, there seemed to be little to do in Amarillo except drink. Many of the guests I saw going into the hotel were bringing their own alcohol. Going out after dark is not recommended in this neighborhood without an armed escort. And though we were only a few blocks from both the Amarillo Police Department and the County Sheriff's Office, not once did I see a cop on patrol in 4 days. The closest I got was when I saw a parking enforcement vehicle driving down Polk Street as I was leaving. I witnessed drug dealing just a block from the hotel. The area is kind of scary, especially a few blocks East filled with biker bars and other dives. When we checked in we rested and watched t.v. after our flight before going out and when I turned on the t.v. to the local news the top stories were that of a murder and a home invasion robbery, both not far from the hotel.

This is not a hotel for couples or families. It is geared towards business customers attending conventions at the nearby convention hall. I'm glad my kids are all grown up and that I didn't take them here. But am sorry I stayed here. If I had been paying for it I would have left and gone somewhere else.

It is great and all that they restored this beautiful old building, and the interior decor is modern, if you like that sort of thing. At night you need to use your room key to get into the building, but I never did see any hotel security. And you have to park in an un-secured parking structure next door, and walk down the parking structure to the ground floor to access the hotel.

The front desk people were helpful and nice, no complaints there.

Room Tip: Every room faces out onto a dreary downtown. I had a room with a view of an abandoned building covered in graffiti. Lucky me I was on the corner, so my other window faced out to an alley, another abandoned building, and the bus station.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AnaheimTom_J
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We spent three nights here April 7-10 and loved it. The bed was wonderfully comfortable; the flat screen tv was great; wi-fi worked great in the room; it was nice to have a refrigerator in the room; bathroom was large; everything was clean & modern; employees were helpful; we enjoyed the coffee shop; parking was easy and free. We would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floor facing north offers a nice view and little street noise. Park in the check-in parking spaces and unload your baggage before driving up into the parking garage as there's no elevator--just stairs--down to ground level and no access to hotel floors from parking garage.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hendersonfan
Reviewed 21 March 2012

If you are looking for a spot to stay at in the "center of it all" then this is the place. Staff was very pleasant. The room was very nice. I didn't want to get out of bed because it was so comfortable. All the amenities of home right in your room. The only down side was parking was a wee bit tight, albeit free - you can't beat that! My overall experience was great and I'd definitely recommend staying here!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kutiepie74
Reviewed 19 March 2012

This place was very modern, and the bed was SUPER comfy. Even the pull out couch was very good. I was informed the breakfast wasnt worth the value, and to go out to IHOP or somewhere else, if you wanted your money's worth. The shower was good, high pressure, amenities like the soap, shampoo, etc were very good. For the $$$, this place was a GREAT place to relax, and not worry about a run down, non-relaxing hotel. This was a place you could count on to cater to your needs, and have a restful time. TWO THUMBS UP! AAA+++

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank coachphlieg
Reviewed 16 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Ambassador on our way to Colorado from Texas because it was mentioned by everyone as the best place to stay. It was old, decorated weird, felt unclean and kind of creepy. We are pretty easy to please so for us to not like something means its pretty bad. We decided to try the Courtyard Downtown Amarillo on the way home. It was GREAT! The location is great with one fun places across the street (wine bar, Mexican restaurant, bakery and Italian restaurant). The rooms are VERY nice with a fridge/bar area, nice flat screens, modern decor, large bathroom and soft beds. The lobby is decorated equally as nice with a little library area, computers, sitting area with flat screens, market and little restaurant selling Starbucks, wine, food etc. very similar to the Aloft style. The hotel is in an old/historic building but the decor is modern. Not to mention the lady at the front desk was super helpful. I can't figure out why this place isn't listed as the number one place in Amarillo to stay? We would def stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family