“A little far out.”

Ranked #19 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
Hirwaun, United Kingdom
“A little far out.”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Sixth stop on our Route 66 tour.
An excellent hotel with spacious, comfortable and spotless rooms.
The only problem was you had to travel to see anything else.
Don't bother taking the free limo to the Texan Steak House. The food is horrible and not worth the time or effort.
Breakfast at the hotel was excellent.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank merlinaphirwaun

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 22 August 2014

This is a very nice hotel with friendly employees. Other than the free breakfast, avoid the restaurant The food was horrible. The lobby is very nice and the desk clerks were super friendly, as was the lifeguard and the waitress in the restaurant. This is a great hotel if you are just stopping for a good nights sleep on a roadtrip but not in a scenic area. It is right off the highway and not at all in a scenic area. The beds were super comfortable and the room was large, clean and quiet. the bathroom was very nice! Like a previous reviewer, our room also smelled of smoke upon entering! They sprayed air freshener but it only helped for a while. The hotel was booked so they were not able to give us another room. My kids LOVED the indoor pool with the water slide.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Upon arrival and opening the door - the room smelled like smoke. The night manager was very nice and sprayed something in the room- which worked for like an hour. Every time the window unit came on - it blew cold smoke air about. Very uncomfortable for two adults and two small children trying to just get a good nights sleep to break up a long vacation drive home. I again mentioned to the AM clerk upon check out and she just stared at me and said "I'm Sorry". Never a mention of doing something about it, partial credit, moving rooms, something, anything. Unacceptable with the amount of choices to be had.
We chose this as it had a pool with a slide for the kids to get their energy out mid drive. We were able to swim for about 10 minutes before 4 teenagers came and repeatedly went off the slide. It is a small pool and it became so wavy (as they were too big to be doing so in my opinion - especially one after the other) that it became to "rough water"s for my kids to swim. My youngest was upset. Another family with small children also left the pool. Could not wait to leave. Pro was breakfast was free.

1 Thank carol201412345
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Amarillo West Medical Center, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear carol201412345,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay. I trust we can regain your confidence in our products and services.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Not located in a very scenic spot, but the hotel is a gem..there is a movie theater next door, though. The bar was beautiful, and the employees were wonderful. I had one little bur, though. We were traveling cross-country with a car full of my daughter's things for college, so I called ahead to see if the hotel had security cameras in the parking lot. I waited on the line, until the woman returned saying they did have cameras and that I could park near one of them. I based my reservation on that information, but when we arrived at the hotel, I was told I had been mis-informed and that the woman was new. Weeel, she did put me on hold to ask someone else...was everyone new? Nothing happened to our belongings, but I filed a complaint and didn't even get a response to my complaint...otherwise I would have rated it Excellent.

Room Tip: The indoor pool had a twirly slide which looked like fun for the kids.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

This is by far the best hotel in Amarillo that I have stayed in. The room was very clean, and updated. We stayed on the bottom floor and it was very quiet, clean, and comfortable! The breakfast had a variety of things to choose from and was free! I highly recommend staying here if you ever pass through!

Stayed August 2014
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a soccer tourney for one night. We have five kiddos so we got the room with two doubles plus a pull out sofa. We brought air beds as well. Disappointed a little because when we got there their computers were down so we could not check into our room until late. However, they have a pretty cool swimming pool for kids with a slide so that kept the kiddos busy for a couple hours. Once their computers were back up they put us in the wrong room, then said they fixed it and put us in a room with just two doubles but no pull out sofa. When we complained they said they were out of that room. What's the point of reserving a room if they don't save it for you? Anyway we would prob stay again just for the pool and hope for no computer problems!!

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Amanda A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Amarillo West Medical Center, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Amanda A,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our pool.

However, we’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the check in experience and the room confusion. We will address these concerns. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Cleburne, Texas
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This property is one of the nicer Holiday Inn properties. Everything is new and up to date. The front desk staff was extremely efficient and was ready for our arrival. It was late so we decided have cocktails and eat in the bar. Matthew was our bartender/server. Very attentive and and made sure we were satisfied at every turn. We will definitely stay here the next time we are I'm town.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business