“Worth the effort to get there”
Review of Cowboy Gelato

Cowboy Gelato
Ranked #5 of 17 Dessert in Amarillo
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Parking was nonexistent. Finally parked on a cross street two blocks away. Small place, great gelato. Many interesting flavors. Mexican vanilla, pecan pie, Irish cream, Shiner, strawberry habanero, chocolate chip, etc. Unfortunately, I started by sampling the flavor called 4 Horsemen which included four types of hot pepper. When I left the shop after finishing my scoop of Irish cream, my mouth was still on fire from the initial sample. Despite my indiscretion, I would highly recommend the Cowboy Gelato.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We ended up here by default really. After driving around on Valentines evening, and not finding anywhere that was not packed, we spotted Cowboy Gelato. My wife had eaten there before a couple years back and had not had a chance to try it again.

The service was excellent, and the food was very good. I had chicken tenders (original as opposed to the optional chipotle) with toast and gravy. The chicken was some of the best I'd ever had, the gravy was a little odd though as it was a little sweet. Sorry, but I don't really go for sweet and savory combos.

My wife had roasted pepper soup and mac and cheese. Which were both good. The mac and cheese is not out of a kit like a lot of restaurants. It is homemade with some spices, onion, and bacon in it.

The Gelato was VERY good, but I thought a touch expensive. The other reviews mention it being reasonable, but for $3 I was expecting a little bigger serving. But, hey, can't complain too much for made in house creameries.

Plenty of interesting "cowboy" memorabilia with lots of pictures and references to Hollywood and Nashville "cowboys" in the entertainment industry to keep you busy looking at while waiting for your food. Old wobbly wire framed chairs and an ancient wood floor give it a unique atmosphere to remember. We WILL try to go back there sometime when we are in the area.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

I have had gelato at this ice cream parlor twice and was impressed with it both times. It's a pretty good deal--the scoops are large and you get two for 2.99 or three for 3.99. The flavors were creative and not necessarily ones that you'd find at every other ice cream parlor. I also had a very hearty sandwich there called a Harry Carey Jr. along with some tasty corn fritters. Like most ice cream places, it can get crowded and backed up from time to time. The staff was friendly and very insistent that I get a free sample of a gelato flavor before I committed to it.

They sell beer there too so all the major food groups--beer and ice cream--are covered.

The route 66 location makes it a nice stop while looking in on the mix of antique shops, bars and restaurants.

Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

Best kept secret in Amarillo. After enjoying brisket at Tyler's head on over to old Route 66 for some cool live tunes and even cooler gelato. We stopped in on a Tuesday evening and there was live music by ____. Enjoyed it immensely

Reviewed 11 August 2013

As always, we enjoyed our dinner here but much of that was a result of the fact that we were dining with friends. The food is good but not the best, prices are fair, and the gelato excellent. However, upkeep is needed and the bathrooms were ....