“Very nice; friendly staff”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Amarillo West
Ranked #2 of 73 Hotels in Amarillo
Longmont, Colorado
“Very nice; friendly staff”
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Quiet location (set back from main roads, and nothing else next door), open only 4-5 months ago. Very comfy bed and room, everything very clean, contemporary design. Three Mac/PC computers and a printer off the main lobby very handy (although counter is too high for true comfort). Need bath towel rack or another towel hook to hang towels to reuse. Everyone very friendly. Special shout out to Amanda for readily switching my room due to noisy neighbor and non-working TV. Avoid room 221 (and those on each side?) because the view is solely of the top of the front porch roof, over front entry (noisy), and windows don't open. Standard HI breakfast.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank TashaLong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Madison, Alabama
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Wow! I'm impressed!

When I found out that we were staying at a Holiday Inn Express, I was definitely less than excited. I travel a lot for work and I'm used to staying at Ws, Westins, Marriotts, etc, hotels that are definitely on the more upscale side. In my head I thought that Holiday Inns were definitely on the low rent side, and that you got what you paid for. Man, was I wrong! This place is SUPER nice, on par, if not better than many of the places I stay for work. It does help that this particular property is brand spanking new. We were blown away upon entering the lobby. The ambiance that they've created in really sleek and upscale with cool lighting, furniture, and even a water feature.

My husband and I stayed in a King suite, which means that in addition to the sleeping area, we had a sitting area and a tiny kitchenette equipped with a sink, an empty mini-fridge and a microwave. The room is very well appointed with dark wooden furniture and cool accent colors. I felt like I was staying in a swanky boutique hotel in a major city. Another highlight was the breakfast they served every morning. It was quite good! Delicious and fluffy scrambled eggs (not hard like a lot of buffet breakfasts), super thin and crispy bacon, delicious and soft potatoes, make your own toast and English muffins, yummy biscuits, coffee. They had a bunch of other items I didn't try too, like pancakes, warm cinnamon rolls, yogurt, cereals, juices, etc... The hotel also boasts a pool and hot tub, which we didn't use, and a tiny gym with maybe 5 machines in it, but if you wanted to run or use an elliptical, you're covered.

They've added a lot of nice touches. If you leave early in the morning, there are Nutrigrain bars and bottles of water on a table near the exit...perfect if you didn't have time for breakfast. They have a mini market in the lobby with things like candy bars, chips, energy drinks, water, etc... Their small business center is equipped with Macs (bonus points!). There is a laundry room for guests to use with one washing machine and one dryer, at least on the 4th floor. I kept being surprised by the attention paid to the guest experience.

I only had a couple of teeny tiny issues during our 5 night stay. The quality of the towels was sub par...they were really rough and didn't feel good on my skin, but they were very clean, so that's good. My second complaint is that in an effort to be "green" they had us reuse our towels and on more than one occasion I unfolded a towel that they had folded that was still wet. I didn't appreciate that one bit.

Please note, there are a ton of Holiday Inns in Amarillo. In fact, there is literally one across the road from this one that I could see from the parking lot! So just make sure when you're making your reservation that you've got the right place. The location is really convenient right off of I-40 and near the Westgate Mall. I would most definitely stay here if I ever need to be in Amarillo again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nancy M
Houston
Reviewed 14 May 2012

My wife and I have taken lately to staying at Holiday Inn Express on our recent road trips. They're always very clean, well managed and great value. But this one in West Amarillo sets a new standard of excellence. Our room was of contemporary design and furnishing; the staff and manager were extremely friendly and welcoming; and the morning breakfast was terrific. We ended up staying in Amarillo longer than expected but this hotel made it a most enjoyable experience.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Bryan T
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Dear :

Although this may be an overlooked task, I feel that I must bring to your attention the outstanding hospitality and customer service we received at your hotel.

My clients and I, of course, were very delighted with your hotel amenities and had a wonderful experience from your salt water pool to the VOSS water offered to us. Your staff went above and beyond with their professional and courteous attitude, and exceeded our expectations. I have a personal motto to under-promise and over-deliver and your staff did just that; complete customer satisfaction.

I am proud to say that I will continue to stay at the Holiday Inn Express Suites Amarillo West every time I visit Amarillo, Texas.

Marcus Tinnell
CEO
Ashmarcent Entertainment
Las Vegas Nevada

Room Tip: #427 that's where I stayed but honestly there isn't a bad room in the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank Marcus T
Grant, Michigan
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Brand new place that you have to see to admire just how nice a Holiday Inn Express can be.

Everything is new and staff seemed eager to please. Parking lot is huge.

Restaurants were a little ways away, but easy to find. Did not take long to get there and be back.

Computers that actually worked were in the lobby and neat furniture/wall treatment made the decorating off the chart.

This place will be a tough act to follow for all---its that nice.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Impala guy
Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2012

This HIX has only been opened late last year. It's not really within walking distance of restaurants or shops but those can be easily accessed by car (there is a huge outdoor mall across the Interstate). Check-in was a very positive experience with some pleasant laughter. The room was immaculate and very modern and the kitchenette was a nice feature.
As we walked in without a reservation (we were on a Route 66 trip and never knew where we would stop the next night) the price was probably a bit higher than usual. Our first attempt for breakfast failed as there was a bus load or two of kids and youths. When we re-attempted about 30 minutes later it was much quieter, unfortunately some of the food items had not been restocked - probably because it was near the end of breakfast time. It would have been nice of the accompanying people to tell the kids/youths to keep the noise down - especially in the later evening. It was annoying enough but just as we were about to complain to reception the noise died down.
All in all - I would happily stay again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wesi1910
Jonesborough, Tennessee
Reviewed 2 April 2012

The staff and management of the Holiday Inn Express and Suites Amarillo West are the best I've encountered. From the first day in this new hotel, they took care of me and my company's every need. Extremely friendly and helpful, this is my N0. 1 choice when in west Tx. Thanks VC and Leena for a great stay!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business