“A diamond in the rough”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Amarillo West
Ranked #3 of 72 Hotels in Amarillo
Reviewed 28 July 2012

After traveling for 2 weeks this was our last stay before arriving home. This is a beautiful hotel with a contemporary design. After stopping at several locations in Amarillo with no availability, we were actually trying to get to the Holiday Inn just across the way when we spotted the HIE. Very satisfied with the hotel and the front desk staff. The bathrooms even have tv's in them!!! I would definitely stay here again. *Note - The only thing I did not like was there was a bad odor outside. I can't fault the hotel for this as they don't have control over the outside air but will add that you absolutely could not smell it inside.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 July 2012

Well, I wasn't expecting a hotel like this in Amarillo, TX (no offence Amarillians). This hotel is beautiful and felt much more like a Sheraton or Marriott than a Holiday Inn Express. The lobby is contemporary and lovely and the staff is well trained and responsive. The rooms are well appointed, also very contemporary, comfortable bed with a large screen TV and even a small TV with a remote in the bathroom! I was going to go out to see a movie at the movie theater across the street but the room was so comfortable I just stayed in and watched movies on HBO. Nice pool and workout facility and good breakfast in the morning. This stay was an unexpected treat.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 July 2012

This was our last hotel stay from a 12 day cross country trip and what can I say it was like ending our trip with a gold medal. This hotel was very chic and contemporary. The rooms were awesome with a with a small sink for drink and a spacious bathroom. The flat screen t.v. in the bathroom was a nice surprise. Breakfast the next day was chaotic due to many people eating at once. Our host was running from one side to another trying to keep up. Tables were all taken and the ones open were dirty. But we waited patiently and the host came and cleaned our table. I loved that idea of being able to open the door to the room by just placing the key over magnetic sensor, worked great when I had my coffee and danish in hand. Will keep this place in mind for future trips.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My wife and I travel through Amarillo frequently. When heading west, this is about as far as you can get in a comfortable day's drive from Houston. On our last trip, we spent two separate nights at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites and we were thoroughly satisfied with the quality of the accommodations and the value of our overall stay. The hotel is "brand new" and a lot of care has been taken to make the rooms and facilities attractive. There are two flat screen TV's in each room (one is in the bathroom!), as well as a mini fridge and the usual amenities, including a hot breakfast. In the past we have stayed nearby at a more expensive hotel (no fridge or breakfast included), but we will definitely be making the Holiday Inn Express our base in the future.

Room Tip: We prefer a ground floor room, which was available for us.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I realise that it's odd to write a review of every place you stay, and certainly a Holiday Inn, but this is one of the very best hotels I have stayed in, period. Passing through Amarillo, we found this using a booking.com app to compare prices. It was also the closest to Cadillac Ranch, which we stopped by... Anyway, when I came in to ask for prices, not only did they match the rate on that app, but beat it by $30 (even after I said I was happy with the original rate)... The front of house was outstanding. Included free wifi and breakfast..!

Then, we got to the room, looking at what is the cleanest and nicest places I have stayed on the way to it - all spotlessly clean. The room is lovely - immaculately clean, tastefully (high end design) decorated. Beds are very comfortable, with choices of pillows (firm, soft...), HD TV with free cable.

I wasn't expecting much from Amarillo on seeing it, but I just wish they could put this hotel in the middle of Manhattan

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I'm hoping for the hotel's sake the moth swarm feature was limited to my room only.
Coming into the room I was greeted with one single light on in the far corner of the room and couple moths swarming around it. No problem I figured. Found a couple papers and rolled them up and proceeded to dispatch the intruders. As I wiped out the small colony around the light I started to look around and noticed others waiting on the walls looking down on their fallen brethren. Smack! Smack! Smack! For the first 30 minutes upon arriving I proceeded to make my name legendary upon the annals of Texas Moth myth and lore. The kids would point them out flying or sitting in wait on the walls and I would attack. The best count I could figure was nearly 25 victims. Once the lights were turned off you didn't dare turn on the iPad unless you wanted to be dive bombed by one of the few remaining survivors with a death wish.
The room itself was very nice except for the moth carcasses that littered the floor and tables beside the bed. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are traveling with your pet lizards. They should appreciate the free moth buffet.
The rest of the hotel was clean, looked new and breakfast was well stocked in the morning. Front desk staff was great and very accommodating. Except for the moths I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Amarillo West, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2012

Dear joshhoppe,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased you found the front desk to be great and accommodating. We always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I'm very sorry you were not satisfied with the condition of the room. I want to assure you our hotel is very proud of its cleanliness. We work very hard to ensure our facilities are superior. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 30 June 2012

Stayed here twice recently. There's a reason this hotel is at the top of the ratings. First of all, this is probably the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed at, period. Not only is the place new and shiny, but you can tell that the managers and staff take real pride in keeping it that way. Beds are super comfy - everything modern and neat.

Not only is everyone truly friendly, but they also go out of their way to take care of the little things that make you feel special. I arrived late one night, and after taking my belongings to the room, I run into the hotel manager while I'm taking my luggage cart back to its place. Instead of ignoring me ( which most would have done ), the manager says, "Here, let me take that back for you...!" It was a little thing, but it meant a lot to me at 1:00 am.

My little one loved the indoor pool. Breakfast was good quality - the standard HIE stuff, but everything was fresh and hot. Here again - the managers are very proactive - checking with guests to make sure everything is OK.

Great job guys - we'll back again and again....

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family